Republicans get government out of their lives in Indiana

OohPooPahDoo

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
N'Awlins Mid-City
Some folks in Indiana are getting what they asked for. They gave a tax cut to property owners - now they have to pay 40-50 bucks a month to bus their kids to school.

Great job righties!

In Indiana, Some Buses Stop Shuttling Kids For Free : NPR

In the past, property taxes covered the cost of busing students. But last November, Indiana voters overwhelmingly passed a cap on the state's property tax rate. That's kinked the revenue stream that districts across the state use to maintain their buildings, pay down debt and keep buses on the roads. Proponents of the plan argued that it would force districts to budget based on revenues, not expenditures — and learn to do more with less.

"Do more with less means cut transportation," says Franklin Township Superintendent Walter Bourke. "That's what that means for us."

good.... why should poperty owners with no kids... or kids who do not use the school bus.. have to pay for the rest of those who do?

and it wasnt "free" bus shuttling"... it was being paid for by alot of people who never could use the service.......

Some folks in Indiana are getting what they asked for. They gave a tax cut to property owners - now they have to pay 40-50 bucks a month to bus their kids to school.

Great job righties!

In the past, property taxes covered the cost of busing students. But last November, Indiana voters overwhelmingly passed a cap on the state's property tax rate. That's kinked the revenue stream that districts across the state use to maintain their buildings, pay down debt and keep buses on the roads. Proponents of the plan argued that it would force districts to budget based on revenues, not expenditures — and learn to do more with less.

"Do more with less means cut transportation," says Franklin Township Superintendent Walter Bourke. "That's what that means for us."

Oh yea, heaven forbid they might have to back off that Christmas Party or Golf outing to pay for that gas. Yea, do the right thing, make the parents pay. Makes perfect sense to the left, we'll show them!! Hmmpppffff. :cuckoo:

good.... why should poperty owners with no kids... or kids who do not use the school bus.. have to pay for the rest of those who do?

Why stop at transportation?
Why should they have to pay anything for an educated workforce? The wealthy should have an educated workforce free of charge.

Great job righties!

Oh yea, heaven forbid they might have to back off that Christmas Party or Golf outing to pay for that gas. Yea, do the right thing, make the parents pay. Makes perfect sense to the left, we'll show them!! Hmmpppffff. :cuckoo:

How much did this year's Christmas Party and Golf outings cost in Franklin Township?

and it wasnt "free" bus shuttling"... it was being paid for by alot of people who never could use the service.......

For that matter, why should I have to pay for someone else's kid's schooling? If you can't afford it yourself, that's the breaks, get a second job. Isn't Libertarian society fun? You get to bash anyone that doesn't measure up without that nasty PC stuff. :cool:

If childhood education is mandatory in Indiana, which it likely is, then this could very well be headed for a lawsuit.

Why should they have to pay anything for an educated workforce? The wealthy should have an educated workforce free of charge.

why stop at transportation?

why shouldnt they have to pay for everything for an educated workforce?

double the properrty taxes and give all the school kids "free" lunches, clothes, supplies, computers and tutors........

For that matter, why should I have to pay for someone else's kid's schooling? If you can't afford it yourself, that's the breaks, get a second job. Isn't Libertarian society fun? You get to bash anyone that doesn't measure up without that nasty PC stuff. :cool:

because everyone in the community benefits form an educated workforce.....

not everyone in the community benefits from providing busing..........

double the properrty taxes and give all the school kids "free" lunches, clothes, supplies, computers and tutors........

Hyperbole Fight! :woohoo:

If childhood education is mandatory in Indiana, which it likely is, then this could very well be headed for a lawsuit.

This isn't about education, but about buses, isn't it? The parents could drive or the kids could walk. I guess the Reps in Indiana are on board with Michelle's anti-obesity campaign!!! :cool:

This isn't about the education, but about buses, isn't it? The parents could drive or the kids could walk. I guess the Reps in Indiana are on board with Michelle's anti-obesity campaign!!! :cool:

It's about school buses. Any attempt to divorce that from 'education' is intellectual dishonesty.

They do, if lack of busing interferes with education. How many days will kids miss, if alternate transportation falls through?

I asked a question first. When you answer it, I'll address yours.

I guess Indiana republicans have lost sight of the fact that high property taxes help keep the riff raff out.

But whatcha gonna do? :dunno:

This isn't about education, but about buses, isn't it? The parents could drive or the kids could walk. I guess the Reps in Indiana are on board with Michelle's anti-obesity campaign!!! :cool:

Its a rural county. Walking isn't a practical solution for most of them.

And they ARE driving their kids to school (did you read the article)? They have to WAIT a HOUR in line to drop their kids off or pick them up. Turns out - the length of the amount of cars it takes to make up for one school bus is a LOT longer than a bus - who would have thought that a system designed for school busing would break down when the 30-40 or so kids ordinarily on a bus are all brought in separate vehicles?

They do, if lack of busing interferes with education. How many days will kids miss, if alternate transportation falls through?

if i am summoned to court, do they provide free transportation?

many things are compulsory yet do not provide the transportation.........

how many days the kids miss will be up to the parent or child.........

If I lived there I'd organize a community challenge for a public meeting to go over the Township's budget line by line, item by item. Most people haven't a clue how much fat can be found in such budgets.

Forum List

Back