Republicans and Poverty

It's too late. They've been told they can't make it in life by the Democrat party, so that's why they should vote for them. they will give A FREE life from cradle to grave in their utopia they are planning

What these idiot liberals are saying is, they want the USA to become communist country where everyone is provided for by the government equally in exchange for freedom. The Government will decide what their lives will be, here's your job, dwelling, number of children you can have, sorry if the life we chose for you sucks shut up or we'll kill you.
Why does everyone resort to communism? I never once mentioned government money. 15$ dollars an hour sounds fair. As someone pointed out, even O'Reily said paying employees isn't a bad thing. It seems if companies can only survive by using a labor force that can't support itself then that is a problem. I get that there are winners and losers, but how many losers do we need for it to be considered a problem? We don't need extremes. The government doesn't need to hold everyone's hand. You don't need to go that far to treat someone else as a human being.

15$ dollars an hour sounds fair.

You should do that then. Start your own biz and pay your least skilled workers $15 an hour, at least, you greedy bastard. Let us know how you do.
I'm listening. Is it totally impossible to raise the minimum wage? If it isn't possible, then what can be done to keep welfare from growing even faster? Is there any way businesses can raise payroll money and survive? I always hear the 100 dollar cheeseburger arguments and that businesses will go out of business right and left. Would 15$ an hour create an inflation nightmare? Is 15$ an hour a greedy unsustainable number?

Tell the idiot Democratic party leaders to stop killing jobs with their policies and regulations. Are you aware of the over 2,000 jobs killing regulations Obama dropped on the country Friday that's projected to cost billions of dollars? You people need to wake up.

I doubt they are aware of it. It doesn't fit with their talking points of how Republicans HATES the poor people... and it's hate for wanting those in Poverty to work their way out of it like MILLIONS has done before them. If they don't pander and say, oh you poor poor dears let us a Government party take care of you like the phonies in the Democrat party do, they call that, HATING.

Its called tough love, the poor need to pull their heads out of their ass and come to grips with the fact that liberals and many democrats are lying lowlife scum that frequently throw them under the bus.

It's too late. They've been told they can't make it in life by the Democrat party, so that's why they should vote for them. they will give A FREE life from cradle to grave in their utopia they are planning

What these idiot liberals are saying is, they want the USA to become communist country where everyone is provided for by the government equally in exchange for freedom. The Government will decide what their lives will be, here's your job, dwelling, number of children you can have, sorry if the life we chose for you sucks shut up or we'll kill you.
Why does everyone resort to communism? I never once mentioned government money. 15$ dollars an hour sounds fair. As someone pointed out, even O'Reily said paying employees isn't a bad thing. It seems if companies can only survive by using a labor force that can't support itself then that is a problem. I get that there are winners and losers, but how many losers do we need for it to be considered a problem? We don't need extremes. The government doesn't need to hold everyone's hand. You don't need to go that far to treat someone else as a human being.

15$ dollars an hour sounds fair.

You should do that then. Start your own biz and pay your least skilled workers $15 an hour, at least, you greedy bastard. Let us know how you do.
I'm listening. Is it totally impossible to raise the minimum wage? If it isn't possible, then what can be done to keep welfare from growing even faster? Is there any way businesses can raise payroll money and survive? I always hear the 100 dollar cheeseburger arguments and that businesses will go out of business right and left. Would 15$ an hour create an inflation nightmare? Is 15$ an hour a greedy unsustainable number?

I'm listening. Is it totally impossible to raise the minimum wage?

Of course not.

If it isn't possible, then what can be done to keep welfare from growing even faster?

Stop punishing business. Eliminate stupid regulations. Seal the border. Deport the illegals. Tort reform.

Is there any way businesses can raise payroll money and survive?

Sure. The usual methods include reducing investor/owner profits, increasing prices, reducing headcount/automation and, of course, closing marginal locations.

Is 15$ an hour a greedy unsustainable number?

If your value added is less than $15/hour, yes.

Hey, I'm new. One of the things that confuses me the most about the Republican Party is its stance on poverty. I want to start out by saying that I am an Indiana Republican and I grew up middle class. We lived by two common rules. Work Hard, Believe in God. These two things were not a bad thing to grow up on. I had early success in school, and I got a college degree, but my OCD became increasingly worse. I am now disabled and I am well versed in poverty.

I admit that I like watching Fox News, but people like O'Reily and Hannity seem completely clueless when discussing the poor. They think that if you have two parents and a good attitude that everyone can be successful. This is both naive and quite untrue. I think the biggest misconception is that minimum wage jobs are just for teenagers. The idea of working yourself up some kind of ladder is nice, but it is not reality for millions of people. I know many adults who would be grateful for any kind of work, not just some dream job. I want to focus on the mentally ill and those who have various forms of low IQ. If you have never been before a judge for a disability hearing, then you don't know that getting help for a mental disability is nearly impossible. For every person who cheats, there is at least another person who can't get help.

I'm going to tie everything up by going to the wage debate. I firmly believe that if you work hard for 40 hours a week, then you deserve a living wage. I'm not talking raising a family on one income, I'm talking food, gas, and health care for one person. I don't believe in "bad jobs" or meaningless jobs. I think the first step is to get everyone back to 40 hours a week. It is ridiculous that people have to work three part time jobs. I also think that wages can go up without the world coming to an end. I'm sick of hearing about the 100$ cheeseburger and half of all jobs as we know it will disappear. Instead of clinging so tightly to current wages, I do not think it is too difficult for fellow Republicans to treat minimum wage earners with respect. Bye the way, It is not just Fox, I have yet to see any Republican candidate or political expert view minimum wage jobs as anything other than high school kids who don't really matter.

Republicans want to help those who really need help and it sounds like you do.....and it isn't a misconception that minimum wage jobs are primarily for teenagers...you are the exception in that you say you are disabled and can only hold onto a minimum wage job....

The problem comes from the government encouraging healthy people to become dependent on the lowest level of success.....and democrats do this by destroying public education, creating graduates who can't read, write or do math...and that creates people who can't support themselves or advance in life....'

You mention 40 hours a week...if democrats love 40 hours a week...why did obama care create an incentive to reduce the hours of full time workers....?

Democrats need more people in your situation, but they need healthy, capable people on the government rolls because when people can succeed...they don't need democrats....

And because the government wastes so much money...that takes money away from people who really need it...back in the 90s the number was only 26 cents out of every dollar spent for the poor actually made it to people who needed it....26 cents.....the waste, fraud and abuse burns up all the tax money meant to help the really needy....we need to fix that...and more government...the people who created this mess, will not fix it....

You were wrong when you said ".....and it isn't a misconception that minimum wage jobs are primarily for teenagers"

• The average age of affected workers is 35 years old;
  • 88 percent of all affected workers are at least 20 years old;
  • 35.5 percent are at least 40 years old;
  • 56 percent are women;
  • 28 percent have children;
  • 55 percent work full-time (35 hours per week or more);
  • 44 percent have at least some college experience.
Low-wage Workers Are Older Than You Think 88 Percent of Workers Who Would Benefit From a Higher Minimum Wage Are Older Than 20 One Third Are Over 40 Economic Policy Institute

A gross miss-characterization. No inference is given to the minimum wage worker who is not the primary bread winner in the house. Women with children often prioritize their children over work while the husband remains the primary bread winner. They therefore make minimum wage in part time work/work that accepts a flexible schedule. Second, those statistics only account for "everyone who earns between the current minimum wage and the proposed new one, as well as workers earning just above the new minimum wage" Those minimum wage workers you have in your stats are therefore not all minimum wage workers.

Your implication that our lowest paid workers are all kids who only work for Saturday night money is absurd, A full time job should be enough to keep at least the person working with food, clothing, healthcare, and all the other basic necessities of life without the government having to subsidize their low wages. Don't like welfare? Make the businesses pay a fair wage..

I like how you set up and knocked down that straw-man via the word "implication." Do you always go around purposely miss-characterizing arguments by adding words never said and arguing against an argument never made by the person you're replying to?

Aside for that i don't care if yo can't feed yourself and that's my right.

Yes, you do have a right to adopt a selfish puerile attitude towards your fellow Americans and they in turn can shun you for what you are. What you don't have is a right to impose your selfish greed agenda on your fellow Americans.

Define "greed." Greed is voting for the money of others to enter your pockets which is simply robbery by another name. Live and let live is not greed. Greed is when you think that the rights of others is subject to your ability to feed yourself. I'm here to tell you they aren't and this is an axiom. When you vote money from one person away in order to fill the pockets of another based on no other reason than your own benevolence then you are necessarily tilting the balance of liberty in a land where everyone is supposed to be equal before the law. You have no right to another mans produce for a service that benefits one group of people at the expense of others. To insist otherwise is the true definition of greed. Since when did the definition of greed become the very opposite?

Last edited:
Define "greed." Greed is voting for the money of others to enter your pockets which is simply robbery by another name..

yes ,exactly, voting is supposed to be for the comonweal, not for your own pocket. Liberalism should be outlawed to preserve America.

"When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic."
-Benjamin Franklin

Define "greed." Greed is voting for the money of others to enter your pockets which is simply robbery by another name..

yes ,exactly, voting is supposed to be for the comonweal, not for your own pocket. Liberalism should be outlawed to preserve America.

"When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic."
-Benjamin Franklin

Evidently working hard and and demanding that you be able to keep your own money that the government intends to simply give to someone else who was industrious as yourself is "greed." If by virtue of birth and low income you asset that you have the right to another mans labor then you must admit that you are an advocate of unequal treatment before the law. You are therefore correct in the above assertion and that guy is a moron. True greed is when you use force to deny to others what they have earned.

Aside for that i don't care if yo can't feed yourself and that's my right.

Yes, you do have a right to adopt a selfish puerile attitude towards your fellow Americans and they in turn can shun you for what you are. What you don't have is a right to impose your selfish greed agenda on your fellow Americans.

Define "greed." Greed is voting for the money of others to enter your pockets which is simply robbery by another name. Live and let live is not greed. Greed is when you think that the rights of others is subject to your ability to feed yourself. I'm here to tell you they aren't and this is an axiom. When you vote money from one person away in order to fill the pockets of another based on no other reason than your own benevolence then you are necessarily tilting the balance of liberty in a land where everyone is supposed to be equal before the law. You have no right to another mans produce for a service that benefits one group of people at the expense of others. To insist otherwise is the true definition of greed. Since when did the definition of greed become the very opposite?

Your convoluted distortion of the concept of greed doesn't alter that it is still nothing more than selfish greed on your part to not care about those less fortunate than yourself and to set up your Libertarian Uptopia in a manner that will seriously harm the most vulnerable members of society.

There is no justification for your selfish greed because you don't have a viable alternative for those who would suffer and die under your regime.

-Benjamin Franklin

Evidently working hard and and demanding that you be able to keep your own money that the government intends to simply give to someone else who was industrious as yourself is "greed." If by virtue of birth and low income you asset that you have the right to another mans labor then you must admit that you are an advocate of unequal treatment before the law. You are therefore correct in the above assertion and that guy is a moron. True greed is when you use force to deny to others what they have earned.

You fallaciously assume that everyone has an equal opportunity to be "industrious". That is an absurd assumption that denies reality.

Hey, I'm new. One of the things that confuses me the most about the Republican Party is its stance on poverty. I want to start out by saying that I am an Indiana Republican and I grew up middle class. We lived by two common rules. Work Hard, Believe in God. These two things were not a bad thing to grow up on. I had early success in school, and I got a college degree, but my OCD became increasingly worse. I am now disabled and I am well versed in poverty.

I admit that I like watching Fox News, but people like O'Reily and Hannity seem completely clueless when discussing the poor. They think that if you have two parents and a good attitude that everyone can be successful. This is both naive and quite untrue. I think the biggest misconception is that minimum wage jobs are just for teenagers. The idea of working yourself up some kind of ladder is nice, but it is not reality for millions of people. I know many adults who would be grateful for any kind of work, not just some dream job. I want to focus on the mentally ill and those who have various forms of low IQ. If you have never been before a judge for a disability hearing, then you don't know that getting help for a mental disability is nearly impossible. For every person who cheats, there is at least another person who can't get help.

I'm going to tie everything up by going to the wage debate. I firmly believe that if you work hard for 40 hours a week, then you deserve a living wage. I'm not talking raising a family on one income, I'm talking food, gas, and health care for one person. I don't believe in "bad jobs" or meaningless jobs. I think the first step is to get everyone back to 40 hours a week. It is ridiculous that people have to work three part time jobs. I also think that wages can go up without the world coming to an end. I'm sick of hearing about the 100$ cheeseburger and half of all jobs as we know it will disappear. Instead of clinging so tightly to current wages, I do not think it is too difficult for fellow Republicans to treat minimum wage earners with respect. Bye the way, It is not just Fox, I have yet to see any Republican candidate or political expert view minimum wage jobs as anything other than high school kids who don't really matter.

What is a "living wage"?

There is no justification for your selfish greed because you don't have a viable alternative for those who would suffer and die under your regime.

always 100% stupid aren't you?? China just switched to capitalism and instantly eliminated 40% of the entire world's poverty!! Now you know your ABC's

You fallaciously assume that everyone has an equal opportunity to be "industrious". That is an absurd assumption that denies reality.

dear, God and evolution does not create people with equal IQ, talent, or ambition. Neither should human being interfere with God and evolution. It would be anti science to do so.

Do you understand??

Welcome. You might want to introduce yourself in the appropriate forum. You are likely to get flamed in this one.

As far as your OP goes you raise some very valid points. Obviously you never made any "poor choices" to end up where you are today. Instead you have a legitimate medical condition that is belittled out of ignorance by those who have never had to deal with something of that nature.

I absolutely agree that anyone who works 40 hrs/week deserves a living wage and benefits. Anything less is dehumanizing. So what if that means that HS kids can make money that they can put away for college. That will just reduce the amount of loan debt that they incur once they are in college.

We do need an honest debate on the minimum wage and everything I have seen to date has debunked the fear mongering used to oppose it. Instead it has only had a positive impact wherever it has been implemented.

Perhaps the strongest fiscal conservative argument for a living minimum wage is that it reduces the need for taxpayer supported welfare subsidies for food, housing and medical coverage. Which fiscal conservative is opposed to reducing those programs? Why not implement a means whereby they become unnecessary by increasing the minimum wage?

So the following whine will be that businesses can't afford higher wages. That is bogus and is being exposed as such wherever the minimum wage has been raised. Furthermore there is another fiscal conservative argument to be made here. Why should businesses be entitled to taxpayer subsidized labor? If they can't afford to pay living wages then why should they be allowed to be in business in the first place? Why should corporations be entitled to taxpayer subsidies?

Just my 2 cents.

Perhaps the strongest fiscal conservative argument for a living minimum wage is that it reduces the need for taxpayer supported welfare subsidies for food, housing and medical coverage.

There is no conservative argument for a "living minimum wage".
Plenty of liberal ones. Because liberals are really bad at economics.

Why not implement a means whereby they become unnecessary by increasing the minimum wage?

Driving businesses under and reducing employment will not make those programs disappear or magically less expensive.

Why should businesses be entitled to taxpayer subsidized labor?

I agree, don't give a business taxpayer dollars so they can pay their workers.

The cognitive dissonance of your responses must be quiet deafening for you to have to live with them.

Oh great Obiwan...WHAT is a "living wage"?

I did not intend to hit such a nerve. I never once advocated welfare. I'm talking about people who are working. I honestly did not expect people to be bashing people that are indeed working. It is kind of low to bash people that have jobs. This is kind of the point I was trying to make. I'm not saying everyone should make 100$ an hour. I do not think people are being honest when they say all businesses will fail if they actually paid their employees. I'm not trying to paint republicans with a wide brush of they don't care about the poor, but in this one instance I really don't think they get it.

Life is unfair man. That is it. Life today is more fair than perhaps at any time in history. What system do you advocate where everything is fair for everyone. Tell us all about it.

Are you saying that in this utopia there is NO rich people, NO poor people, just people living in harmony in the forest under a tree?

I have no idea what it is you all want. Everyone as of right now have choices. That is about the only way you can achieve the fairest conditions. Some people's roads are harder. Regardless of how much harder some have it than others, they still have choices.

There are more than enough people who have had disadvantages and have made it. There is a long list of people working their way out of the ghetto.

There is more than one reason why mass numbers of people are desperately trying to get here as opposed to the other way around. You think it is so much better in Denmark or Canada. Well, why aren't mass numbers of people moving there?

Go ahead, answer that.

Life is not unfair, it is just life.

Fairness and unfairness are nothing more than a political construct put together by politicians to divide and conquer the masses.

-Benjamin Franklin

You poor child, who we are, what we've made of ourselves, and what we aspire to is what determines our "opportunities".

I have no College Degree yet I make 6 figures.

Why?

Because I determined what I wanted and went and did what it took to get there.

so we need nazi liberals to give us all an equal opportunity to be industrious, and then 10000 other things too!!

THe liberal is a communist but lacks the IQ to know it. Is anyone surprised our liberals spied for Stalin?

so we need nazi liberals to give us all an equal opportunity to be industrious, and then 10000 other things too!!

THe liberal is a communist but lacks the IQ to know it. Is anyone surprised our liberals spied for Stalin?

"
THe liberal is a communist but lacks the IQ to know it. Is anyone surprised our liberals spied for Stalin?"

They lack the balls to admit who and what they are.

They DISGUST me.

"
THe liberal is a communist but lacks the IQ to know it. Is anyone surprised our liberals spied for Stalin?"

They lack the balls to admit who and what they are.

They DISGUST me.

yes, the liberal does not want to admit to being anti American so he pretends his policies are somehow American.

Norman Thomas quotes:

The American people will never knowingly adopt Socialism. But under the name of 'liberalism' they will adopt every fragment of the Socialist program, until one day America will be a Socialist nation, without knowing how it happened.

"Life is not unfair, it is just life.

Fairness and unfairness are nothing more than a political construct put together by politicians to divide and conquer the masses."

I would add this.....

Opportunities are nothing I you do not have the balls to jump on them when they present themselves.

Republicans want to help those who really need help and it sounds like you do.....and it isn't a misconception that minimum wage jobs are primarily for teenagers...you are the exception in that you say you are disabled and can only hold onto a minimum wage job....

The problem comes from the government encouraging healthy people to become dependent on the lowest level of success.....and democrats do this by destroying public education, creating graduates who can't read, write or do math...and that creates people who can't support themselves or advance in life....'

You mention 40 hours a week...if democrats love 40 hours a week...why did obama care create an incentive to reduce the hours of full time workers....?

Democrats need more people in your situation, but they need healthy, capable people on the government rolls because when people can succeed...they don't need democrats....

And because the government wastes so much money...that takes money away from people who really need it...back in the 90s the number was only 26 cents out of every dollar spent for the poor actually made it to people who needed it....26 cents.....the waste, fraud and abuse burns up all the tax money meant to help the really needy....we need to fix that...and more government...the people who created this mess, will not fix it....

You were wrong when you said ".....and it isn't a misconception that minimum wage jobs are primarily for teenagers"

• The average age of affected workers is 35 years old;
  • 88 percent of all affected workers are at least 20 years old;
  • 35.5 percent are at least 40 years old;
  • 56 percent are women;
  • 28 percent have children;
  • 55 percent work full-time (35 hours per week or more);
  • 44 percent have at least some college experience.
Low-wage Workers Are Older Than You Think 88 Percent of Workers Who Would Benefit From a Higher Minimum Wage Are Older Than 20 One Third Are Over 40 Economic Policy Institute

A gross miss-characterization. No inference is given to the minimum wage worker who is not the primary bread winner in the house. Women with children often prioritize their children over work while the husband remains the primary bread winner. They therefore make minimum wage in part time work/work that accepts a flexible schedule. Second, those statistics only account for "everyone who earns between the current minimum wage and the proposed new one, as well as workers earning just above the new minimum wage" Those minimum wage workers you have in your stats are therefore not all minimum wage workers.

Your implication that our lowest paid workers are all kids who only work for Saturday night money is absurd, A full time job should be enough to keep at least the person working with food, clothing, healthcare, and all the other basic necessities of life without the government having to subsidize their low wages. Don't like welfare? Make the businesses pay a fair wage..

I like how you set up and knocked down that straw-man via the word "implication." Do you always go around purposely miss-characterizing arguments by adding words never said and arguing against an argument never made by the person you're replying to?

I mistakenly assigned your post to the previous answer I received who said specifically "it isn't a misconception that minimum wage jobs are primarily for teenagers" . My mistake, and I apologize, but to your post, this does include families that specifically DO depend on low income workers

60 Million People Depend on the Incomes of Low-Wage Workers in America Increasing the federal minimum wage would benefit on average more than 135 000 people in each Congressional district Economic Policy Institute
More than 60 million people, including more than 15 million children, live in American households that depend on the earnings of a low-wage worker, according to new research by Oxfam America and the Economic Policy Institute released today. These numbers account for about one quarter of all workers, family members, and children in working households in the United States.

"Life is not unfair, it is just life.

Fairness and unfairness are nothing more than a political construct put together by politicians to divide and conquer the masses."

I would add this.....

Opportunities are nothing I you do not have the balls to jump on them when they present themselves.
Hey Flipper To me a living wage = an apartment, a used car, cheap food - hot dogs, chicken nuggets(nothing expensive or healthy), and the ability to get your blood pressure pills. Is it charity or robbery for 40 hours a week to get you that? Increasing the minimum wage doesn't have to be redistribution or robbery.

Forum List

Back