Republicans and Poverty

Hey, I'm new. One of the things that confuses me the most about the Republican Party is its stance on poverty. I want to start out by saying that I am an Indiana Republican and I grew up middle class. We lived by two common rules. Work Hard, Believe in God. These two things were not a bad thing to grow up on. I had early success in school, and I got a college degree, but my OCD became increasingly worse. I am now disabled and I am well versed in poverty.

I admit that I like watching Fox News, but people like O'Reily and Hannity seem completely clueless when discussing the poor. They think that if you have two parents and a good attitude that everyone can be successful. This is both naive and quite untrue. I think the biggest misconception is that minimum wage jobs are just for teenagers. The idea of working yourself up some kind of ladder is nice, but it is not reality for millions of people. I know many adults who would be grateful for any kind of work, not just some dream job. I want to focus on the mentally ill and those who have various forms of low IQ. If you have never been before a judge for a disability hearing, then you don't know that getting help for a mental disability is nearly impossible. For every person who cheats, there is at least another person who can't get help.

I'm going to tie everything up by going to the wage debate. I firmly believe that if you work hard for 40 hours a week, then you deserve a living wage. I'm not talking raising a family on one income, I'm talking food, gas, and health care for one person. I don't believe in "bad jobs" or meaningless jobs. I think the first step is to get everyone back to 40 hours a week. It is ridiculous that people have to work three part time jobs. I also think that wages can go up without the world coming to an end. I'm sick of hearing about the 100$ cheeseburger and half of all jobs as we know it will disappear. Instead of clinging so tightly to current wages, I do not think it is too difficult for fellow Republicans to treat minimum wage earners with respect. Bye the way, It is not just Fox, I have yet to see any Republican candidate or political expert view minimum wage jobs as anything other than high school kids who don't really matter.
The party has been fascinating to watch over the last few years, as absolutism has nearly paralyzed it. "Clueless" is an interesting choice of words - what I don't know is whether they really are clueless about poverty (among other things) or whether their ideology has simply distorted their perceptions (the same affliction holds true for their counterparts on the Left, by the way).

You could not have picked two better examples of this than Hannity and O'Reilly, who so often have looks on their faces of utter confusion when confronted with contrary evidence.

The problem your party faces right now is that it's controlled by these people. They don't have the numbers, but they do have the passion and the influence.

Anyway, I don't know how that changes.

Hey, I'm new. One of the things that confuses me the most about the Republican Party is its stance on poverty. I want to start out by saying that I am an Indiana Republican and I grew up middle class. We lived by two common rules. Work Hard, Believe in God. These two things were not a bad thing to grow up on. I had early success in school, and I got a college degree, but my OCD became increasingly worse. I am now disabled and I am well versed in poverty.

I admit that I like watching Fox News, but people like O'Reily and Hannity seem completely clueless when discussing the poor. They think that if you have two parents and a good attitude that everyone can be successful. This is both naive and quite untrue. I think the biggest misconception is that minimum wage jobs are just for teenagers. The idea of working yourself up some kind of ladder is nice, but it is not reality for millions of people. I know many adults who would be grateful for any kind of work, not just some dream job. I want to focus on the mentally ill and those who have various forms of low IQ. If you have never been before a judge for a disability hearing, then you don't know that getting help for a mental disability is nearly impossible. For every person who cheats, there is at least another person who can't get help.

I'm going to tie everything up by going to the wage debate. I firmly believe that if you work hard for 40 hours a week, then you deserve a living wage. I'm not talking raising a family on one income, I'm talking food, gas, and health care for one person. I don't believe in "bad jobs" or meaningless jobs. I think the first step is to get everyone back to 40 hours a week. It is ridiculous that people have to work three part time jobs. I also think that wages can go up without the world coming to an end. I'm sick of hearing about the 100$ cheeseburger and half of all jobs as we know it will disappear. Instead of clinging so tightly to current wages, I do not think it is too difficult for fellow Republicans to treat minimum wage earners with respect. Bye the way, It is not just Fox, I have yet to see any Republican candidate or political expert view minimum wage jobs as anything other than high school kids who don't really matter.
The party has been fascinating to watch over the last few years, as absolutism has nearly paralyzed it. "Clueless" is an interesting choice of words - what I don't know is whether they really are clueless about poverty (among other things) or whether their ideology has simply distorted their perceptions (the same affliction holds true for their counterparts on the Left, by the way).

You could not have picked two better examples of this than Hannity and O'Reilly, who so often have looks on their faces of utter confusion when confronted with contrary evidence.

The problem your party faces right now is that it's controlled by these people. They don't have the numbers, but they do have the passion and the influence.

If I'm not mistaken, I think O'Reilly supports a minimum wage increase.

If I'm not mistaken, I think O'Reilly supports a minimum wage increase.
Could be, I've heard of him breaking with the GOP now and then. He and Hannity share that "confusion" look, but Hannity is definitely more hardcore.

You can thank politicians like Obama for having to work 2 or more jobs just to pay your bills.
The day he walked into the Oval Office he set about to raise your cost of living by putting extra excise-taxes on 9 different classes of goods and services. If you wonder why Hostess went bankrupt....you can thank him. He made sure that Hostess apple pies tripled in cost in one year. It also doesn't help that he made sure that 10% of your gas is Ethanol which reduces your gas-mileage and makes your engine light come on.....because it's rusting and bunging up your engine. If you wonder why your doctor no-longer takes your insurance...thank Obama. If you wonder why we're $18.5 trillion in debt....thank Obama. If you wonder why every other show on television talks about gay sex....thank Obama. If you wonder why every government worker you see is either black, Latino, or from some other country......thank Obama. If you wonder why your paycheck stopped going up and instead has gone down since 2009.....thank Obama.

Last edited:

You can thank politicians like Obama for having to work 2 or more jobs just to pay your bills.
The day he walked into the Oval Office he set about to raise your cost of living by putting extra excise-taxes on 9 different classes of goods and services. If you wonder why Hostess went bankrupt....you can thank him. He made sure that Hostess apple pies tripled in cost on one year. It also doesn't help that he made sure that 10% of your gas is Ethanol which reduces your gas-mileage and makes your engine light come on.....because it's rusting and bunging up your engine. If you wonder why your doctor no-longer takes your insurance...thank Obama. If you wonder why we're $18.5 trillion in debt....thank Obama. If you wonder why every other show on television talks about gay sex....thank Obama. If you wonder why every government worker you see is either black, Latino, or from some other country......thank Obama. If you wonder why your paycheck stopped going up and instead has gone down since 2009.....thank Obama.

come on now, He has swallowed hook line and stinker how ALL REPUBLICANS hates, the poor, those in poverty, senior citizens, children, infrastructure, and the beat goes on and on. Like talking to programmed robot

Republicans should understand that income inequality is a national problem. While the last years have been pretty good ones for top earners... they’ve been a lost decade for the rest of America. There are so many people in poverty! And the situation is only getting worse.

ahhh!! soak the RICH, tax them to death, give all their wealth to the poor, lazy, incompetent, stupid and wealth envy libertards, do not forget, when Senator O' Husseinbama ended up his conversation with Joe the plumber—we need to spread the wealth around.
and every lowlife lib cheered this :bsflag:

Republicans should understand that income inequality is a national problem. While the last years have been pretty good ones for top earners... they’ve been a lost decade for the rest of America. There are so many people in poverty! And the situation is only getting worse.

lol, income equality....as if ALL PEOPLE are worth the same amount of monies for work they are doing. Do you see how OFFENSIVE that is? Telling people if they can't get a raise on their own then just PROTEST for the Government to do it for you.

so much for a free people and country

I've wanted a unicorn for years. how unequal it is I haven't been Given one

Last edited:
Those are high school jobs because only kids would work for that. I totally agree that conservatives make a mistake in thinking that the best way to attack the welfare state is to appear unsympathetic to the poor. On the other hand, there are lots of people who need a shove to begin looking for work and be self sufficient. Honestly, welfare is a waste of money and only exist to satisfy our guilty conscience.

Its called tough love, the poor need to pull their heads out of their ass and come to grips with the fact that liberals and many democrats are lying lowlife scum that frequently throw them under the bus.

It's too late. They've been told they can't make it in life by the Democrat party, so that's why they should vote for them. they will give A FREE life from cradle to grave in their utopia they are planning

What these idiot liberals are saying is, they want the USA to become communist country where everyone is provided for by the government equally in exchange for freedom. The Government will decide what their lives will be, here's your job, dwelling, number of children you can have, sorry if the life we chose for you sucks shut up or we'll kill you.

Those are high school jobs because only kids would work for that. I totally agree that conservatives make a mistake in thinking that the best way to attack the welfare state is to appear unsympathetic to the poor. On the other hand, there are lots of people who need a shove to begin looking for work and be self sufficient. Honestly, welfare is a waste of money and only exist to satisfy our guilty conscience.

Its called tough love, the poor need to pull their heads out of their ass and come to grips with the fact that liberals and many democrats are lying lowlife scum that frequently throw them under the bus.

It's too late. They've been told they can't make it in life by the Democrat party, so that's why they should vote for them. they will give A FREE life from cradle to grave in their utopia they are planning

What these idiot liberals are saying is, they want the USA to become communist country where everyone is provided for by the government equally in exchange for freedom. The Government will decide what their lives will be, here's your job, dwelling, number of children you can have, sorry if the life we chose for you sucks shut up or we'll kill you.

yes, I'm afraid so. and I believe we are just about out numbered by them and the Democrat party is ready to swoop in and give them things they somehow believe they are entitled to others peoples STUFF. Demanding for 15 dollars an for flipping burgers. a trained monkey can do that.

Why does everyone resort to communism? I never once mentioned government money. 15$ dollars an hour sounds fair. As someone pointed out, even O'Reily said paying employees isn't a bad thing. It seems if companies can only survive by using a labor force that can't support itself then that is a problem. I get that there are winners and losers, but how many losers do we need for it to be considered a problem? We don't need extremes. The government doesn't need to hold everyone's hand. You don't need to go that far to treat someone else as a human being.

Why does everyone resort to communism? I never once mentioned government money. 15$ dollars an hour sounds fair. As someone pointed out, even O'Reily said paying employees isn't a bad thing. It seems if companies can only survive by using a labor force that can't support itself then that is a problem. I get that there are winners and losers, but how many losers do we need for it to be considered a problem? We don't need extremes. The government doesn't need to hold everyone's hand. You don't need to go that far to treat someone else as a human being.

Why are you libs so damn stupid gawwwwwdddd where to begin. Tell me where did you get this nice round number $15 an hour? Obviously its not rooted in any logical thinking, are you just being a mindless liberal drone parroting a number someone told you was fair? Certainly $15 an hour doesn't buy you nearly as much in NYC as it does in Helena, Montana so a one size fits all minimum wage is utterly stupid. The level of liberal idiocy is mind boggling these days, $15 an hour is nothing more than a liberal talking point some stupid lib pulled out of their ass and if they got this that wrong to start with obviously discussing this issue further with the morons is a waste of time.

Republicans want to help those who really need help and it sounds like you do.....and it isn't a misconception that minimum wage jobs are primarily for teenagers...you are the exception in that you say you are disabled and can only hold onto a minimum wage job....

The problem comes from the government encouraging healthy people to become dependent on the lowest level of success.....and democrats do this by destroying public education, creating graduates who can't read, write or do math...and that creates people who can't support themselves or advance in life....'

You mention 40 hours a week...if democrats love 40 hours a week...why did obama care create an incentive to reduce the hours of full time workers....?

Democrats need more people in your situation, but they need healthy, capable people on the government rolls because when people can succeed...they don't need democrats....

And because the government wastes so much money...that takes money away from people who really need it...back in the 90s the number was only 26 cents out of every dollar spent for the poor actually made it to people who needed it....26 cents.....the waste, fraud and abuse burns up all the tax money meant to help the really needy....we need to fix that...and more government...the people who created this mess, will not fix it....

You were wrong when you said ".....and it isn't a misconception that minimum wage jobs are primarily for teenagers"

• The average age of affected workers is 35 years old;
  • 88 percent of all affected workers are at least 20 years old;
  • 35.5 percent are at least 40 years old;
  • 56 percent are women;
  • 28 percent have children;
  • 55 percent work full-time (35 hours per week or more);
  • 44 percent have at least some college experience.
Low-wage Workers Are Older Than You Think 88 Percent of Workers Who Would Benefit From a Higher Minimum Wage Are Older Than 20 One Third Are Over 40 Economic Policy Institute

A gross miss-characterization. No inference is given to the minimum wage worker who is not the primary bread winner in the house. Women with children often prioritize their children over work while the husband remains the primary bread winner. They therefore make minimum wage in part time work/work that accepts a flexible schedule. Second, those statistics only account for "everyone who earns between the current minimum wage and the proposed new one, as well as workers earning just above the new minimum wage" Those minimum wage workers you have in your stats are therefore not all minimum wage workers.

Your implication that our lowest paid workers are all kids who only work for Saturday night money is absurd, A full time job should be enough to keep at least the person working with food, clothing, healthcare, and all the other basic necessities of life without the government having to subsidize their low wages. Don't like welfare? Make the businesses pay a fair wage..

Why are you libs so damn stupid gawwwwwdddd where to begin. Tell me where did you get this nice round number $15 an hour? Obviously its not rooted in any logical thinking, are you just being a mindless liberal drone parroting a number someone told you was fair? Certainly $15 an hour doesn't buy you nearly as much in NYC as it does in Helena, Montana so a one size fits all minimum wage is utterly stupid. The level of liberal idiocy is mind boggling these days, $15 an hour is nothing more than a liberal talking point some stupid lib pulled out of their ass and if they got this that wrong to start with obviously discussing this issue further with the morons is a waste of time.

No kidding, why didn't they pull $50 dollars an hour out of their magic asses for the Utopia they are promising. ...

Lots of luck getting anywhere with your message getting anywhere with today's working class republicans. They mostly hate themselves and feel like failures since the economy works mostly for the wealthy. The Reaganites, hannitoids, Limbaughs, ride to the rescue and tell them their problems are the poor and needy, totally disregarding the corporate subsidies and unneeded wars that enrich the defense contractors such as Halliburton, Raytheon, etc. If you're poor, or needy, only a program pushed through by democrats will help you. The repubs will give you a map to the nearest dumpster though. The spiritual leader of working class modern republicans (Rush limbaugh) recommends dumpster diving for poor kids but there's probably enough left over out there in the dumpster for the needy adults.

No kidding, why didn't they pull $50 dollars an hour out of their magic asses for the Utopia they are promising. ...

The bunch of dumb ass liberals are taking stupid to whole new levels. WTF libs I earned $15 an hour 20 years ago for crying out loud, in a job you could train a poor person to do in 2 weeks time. FACT these asshole liberals have done all they can to destroy those jobs with their stupid policies and regulations and open borders. This $15 an hour minimum wage crap is nothing more than liberal spin to deflect from their failures and throw the blame onto others. Are we building the Keystone pipeline yet? No, because asshole liberals won't let us. They have no intention of reversing course on policies that destroy jobs for the poor and middle class so all they have left is fomenting class envy, tax the rich, re-distribution, free government hand outs. How about focusing on jobs creation, gawd what a bunch of retards.

15$ dollars an hour sounds fair.

You should do that then. Start your own biz and pay your least skilled workers $15 an hour, at least, you greedy bastard. Let us know how you do.

You should do that then. Start your own biz and pay your least skilled workers $15 an hour, at least, you greedy bastard. Let us know how you do.
I'm listening. Is it totally impossible to raise the minimum wage? If it isn't possible, then what can be done to keep welfare from growing even faster? Is there any way businesses can raise payroll money and survive? I always hear the 100 dollar cheeseburger arguments and that businesses will go out of business right and left. Would 15$ an hour create an inflation nightmare? Is 15$ an hour a greedy unsustainable number?

I'm listening. Is it totally impossible to raise the minimum wage? If it isn't possible, then what can be done to keep welfare from growing even faster? Is there any way businesses can raise payroll money and survive? I always hear the 100 dollar cheeseburger arguments and that businesses will go out of business right and left. Would 15$ an hour create an inflation nightmare? Is 15$ an hour a greedy unsustainable number?

$15/hour is doing wonders for cities that have adopted it already.

Studies look at what happened when cities raised minimum wage The Seattle Times

As Cities Raise Their Minimum Wage Where s the Economic Collapse the Right Predicted Mother Jones

Tell the idiot Democratic party leaders to stop killing jobs with their policies and regulations. Are you aware of the over 2,000 jobs killing regulations Obama dropped on the country Friday that's projected to cost billions of dollars? You people need to wake up.

Forum List

Back