republican screwjob in texas, here it comes folks.

Discussion in 'Politics' started by SmarterThanYou, Mar 9, 2005.

1. SmarterThanYou

SmarterThanYou Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    the republican majority in texas is trying to sneak one by on us. House Bill HB3 was introduced today with no notice and prepared in secret committee to institute a payroll tax in texas.

texas HB3

apparently, house speaker craddick was a little miffed at so much attention being brought to this that the vote that was scheduled for thursday was bumped up to this morning to avoid a gathering protest that was being organized.

2. krisy

krisy Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +112

Is it is possible the tax is really needed? Not being sarchastic.I am really wondering. As much as I can't stand taxes,I have voted for levies in the past for schools and police. Given the stanse most Republicans take on taxes,I an just wondering.

3. SmarterThanYou

SmarterThanYou Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    The conservative talk shows are denouncing this bill. They are saying that although this lowers property taxes SOME, the house is lying about it being 1/3. It's only 1/6 because it only lowers the school property tax. It raises taxes on those making 23k or less a year and lowers taxes on those that make 140k or more a year. This tax isn't needed.

4. krisy

krisy Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +112

Hmmmmm....maybe not. Proprerty taxes around here are getting out of control-I know that much. I would be curious to see what they are in the rest of the country.

5. manu1959

manu1959 Left Coast Isolationist

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,626
    if they were going to sneak it through and i presume vote on it in private as well? how the hell did you find out about it? oh yea, it is a publicly run govt. where they vote in public....you just don't like the results cuz the W stands for winner

6. SmarterThanYou

SmarterThanYou Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    i suppose the idea that the conservative talk show hosts have contacts within the legislature slipped your idiotic mind? but i forget, people think i'm the typical liberal who will do anything to bash bush.

:slap:

7. 5stringJeff

5stringJeff Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +540
    Interesting. What exactly is the payroll tax supposed to fund, and why can't they use existing property taxes to fund it?

8. SmarterThanYou

SmarterThanYou Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Texas has long been trying to do away with the 'robin hood' school funding. I believe this may be part of it. What they haven't explained is what the new taxes are going to fund, especially when they are already planning on turning the new highway they are building into a full length toll road.

9. dilloduck

dilloduck Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,403
    the change is nice----the dems have been screwin Texas for years

10. SmarterThanYou

SmarterThanYou Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    so increased taxes are cool, as long as its a republican majority? better to be screwed by republicans instead of democrats? :wtf: