Report: North Korea May Have Conducted Nuclear Test

Why are you advocating that "it's time to take North Korea out" now when they haven't even done anything, when you clearly see that we're already stretched too thin?

So what do you think we should do? Let them continue making bombs and exploding them and then one day invading South Korea and then Japan and then, who knows? Let's give them Hawaii to appease them.

Obama just got his 3 am phone call.

In one post you say let's take them out, and in another you ask me what we can do about anything because we're spread too thin. I don't understand your logic.

As to what I would do, it wouldn't include calling for us to invade North Korea simply because they tested a missile.

Once again, they did not just test a missile. They tested a nuclear bomb, probably the equivalent of the bomb that we dropped over Hiroshima.

Why are you advocating that "it's time to take North Korea out" now when they haven't even done anything, when you clearly see that we're already stretched too thin?

So what do you think we should do? Let them continue making bombs and exploding them and then one day invading South Korea and then Japan and then, who knows? Let's give them Hawaii to appease them.

How very neoconservative of you to say all that.

Please, let's not call each other names. I realize you're a Red Sox fan and probably still bitter about 1986 and all of the playoff games in the '90s and '00s that you lost to the Yankees, but come on....

Well, we've tried negotiations, we've tried treaties, we've tried sanctions... it's time to take N. Korea out.

Another armchair warrior! Pull on a uniform and put yourself up as a candidate for front line service before rattling your sabre so loudly.

So it's wrong to call for war if I'm not in the military? Hey, bub, I pay taxes for our military to work. I pay Obama's salary. I have a right not to be nuked to death

Well, we've tried negotiations, we've tried treaties, we've tried sanctions... it's time to take N. Korea out.

Another armchair warrior! Pull on a uniform and put yourself up as a candidate for front line service before rattling your sabre so loudly.

So it's wrong to call for war if I'm not in the military? Hey, bub, I pay taxes for our military to work. I pay Obama's salary. I have a right not to be nuked to death

As I said, enlist and then call for war. Then perhaps you may just gain a gnat's prick of credibility. Your post makes about as much sense as a cat flap in a submarine.

Because North Korea can launch a long range missile and have it hit Japan.

Then let Japan get into a war with them.

Japan has almost no military to speak of. Additionally, Japan has one of the most important economies in the world. If North Korea would attack Japan, it would be very bad.

I wouldn't say Japan has no military. They do have it, although is small, but very well equipped and superior to mostly everything that North Korea has. Some 900 tanks and 200 Eagles can do some pretty good damage.

The worst consequence of the unnecessary Iraq War is that Americans don't have the stomach left to take out the real douche bags in the world, otherwise Iran and N. Korea wouldn't be so bold. They know our popular opinion is heavily against new conflicts.

Not doing business with N Korea and Iran has proven to be futile.

What if we quit doing business with everyone who does business with N Korea and Iran?

Tell Sweden, France and Germany that they can shove their Volvos, wine and BMW's straight up their asses if they want to continue doing business with Iran... Do you think we might get the attention of the Iranian people then?

What if we told the Chinese that they could turn their Wal-Mart bound boats around until they put proper economic pressure on their noisy neighbor?

Why does 'power' and 'military' have to be inseparable terms for us?

-Joe

In one post you say let's take them out, and in another you ask me what we can do about anything because we're spread too thin. I don't understand your logic.

As to what I would do, it wouldn't include calling for us to invade North Korea simply because they tested a missile.

Once again, they did not just test a missile. They tested a nuclear bomb, probably the equivalent of the bomb that we dropped over Hiroshima.

Key word being "tested," which is not something to "take them out" over. Though I'm still curious how you can acknowledge that we're spread too thin around the world and still call for an invasion of North Korea.

Why bother discussing these matters with Dave? The guy has a different political position each day.

How very neoconservative of you to say all that.

Please, let's not call each other names. I realize you're a Red Sox fan and probably still bitter about 1986 and all of the playoff games in the '90s and '00s that you lost to the Yankees, but come on....

Projecting much, Met "fan?"

I mean we all know you don't really follow baseball or anything but I figured I would inform you that the Red Sox have won a couple of World Series in the last 5 years.

Kim Jong has been ill for several months now.

Who takes over when he dies?

Kim Jong has been ill for several months now.

Who takes over when he dies?

Kim Jong Il 'names favourite son Jong Un as successor' in North Korea - Times Online

January 16, 2009
Kim Jong Il 'names favourite son Jong Un as successor' in North Korea

(KCNA/Reuters)
Kim Jong Il, centre, leader of North Korea, is believed to have suffered a major stroke
Leo Lewis, in Tokyo
North Korea’s enigmatic and ailing dictator, Kim Jong Il, is thought to have made a surprise selection to succeed him as leader of the nuclear-armed, Stalinist autocracy.

Intelligence sources in Seoul said yesterday that — very much against the expectations of South Korean analysis — Mr Kim, 66, had chosen his youngest and favourite son, Jong Un, to take over the all-pervasive family personality cult that controls the country when he is gone.

The potential heir, who is thought to be no more than 24, was educated in Switzerland and is the offspring of of Mr Kim’s third marriage and his supposedly favourite wife — a woman who died five years ago. The reclusive leader is believed to have three children.

In the regular and heated speculation among North Korea watchers Jong Un has been routinely dismissed as a likely successor because of his youth....

Kim Jong is like a spoiled child whose temper tamtrems have successfully gotten him what he's wanted in the past and sees no reason to change his behaviour now. As long as he holds a gun to the heads of the South Koreans there's not much we can really do, except hope for better once he dies. He learned it from his father, who started by threatening war, then by building a massive missle and mortar arsenal, now nuclear bombs. It's a wait and see game, at this point because there's nothing anyone can do unless we want to sacrifice South Korea.

Our attempts to talk with North Korea have failed. We have tried offering them aid, we have taken them off of our "black list" of countries that sponsor terrorism. We have sanctioned them through the years, and yet this country, which by all rights deserves it's sovereignty, has spat in the faces of those who have attempted to help. It refuses to go through sanctions, and will no longer accept the aid that the UN is so willing to give in return for compliance by the North Koreans.

The time has come to form an alliance with the People's Republic of China to combat this foe. We cannot suffer the safety of nations to be endangered by the ambitions of one madman in the small area known as North Korea.

Our attempts to talk with North Korea have failed. We have tried offering them aid, we have taken them off of our "black list" of countries that sponsor terrorism. We have sanctioned them through the years, and yet this country, which by all rights deserves it's sovereignty, has spat in the faces of those who have attempted to help. It refuses to go through sanctions, and will no longer accept the aid that the UN is so willing to give in return for compliance by the North Koreans.

The time has come to form an alliance with the People's Republic of China to combat this foe. We cannot suffer the safety of nations to be endangered by the ambitions of one madman in the small area known as North Korea.

China will act in its own best interest. If they really crack down, hundreds of thousands of N. Koreans will flood across the border into China. Think Korean War response from China, in reverse. They do not want the problems West Germany has had with the East. Imagine fleeing to 'China' for better conditions? :eek:

The worst consequence of the unnecessary Iraq War is that Americans don't have the stomach left to take out the real douche bags in the world, otherwise Iran and N. Korea wouldn't be so bold. They know our popular opinion is heavily against new conflicts.

And who's fault is that ? Nice of the liberals to take all the punch out of American efforts. You don't liek the consequences ? Shoulda thought about that years ago.

WTF are you talking about? I'm in favor of making a glass desert out of Iran... I didn't take the punch out of anything, the Cons knew perfectly well what they were doing that's why they didn't allow coffins to be shown on TV. They knew they'd run out of public support even faster if people could see the dead service men coming back. They KNEW exactly what they were doing by engaging in pointless wars.

Ridiculous assumption.

I suppose it's safe to say then the lefties knew perfectly well what they were doing by supporting the invasion of Iraq before they were against it?

Nah, fact is the left was screaming for Saddam's head every bit as loud as the right. Then the hacks shouted down the few normal people remaining on the left with a bunch of bullshit lies.

The favorite being the only reason we went in was because of WMDs (untrue), and that Saddam didn't have any WMDs (untrue -- we sold the damned things to him and he is STILL accountable to the UN for missing MWDS/WMD percurssors).

I find the fact that anyone, right or left, wants to show photographs of KIA US military personnel for political propganda reprehensible.

Since they knew exactly what they were doing engaging in pointless wars, perhaps you might enlighten us as to your speculative reasoning?

For your edification, and to cut some of the leftwingnut fools off, I did not agree with the invasion of Iraq, but not for any of the intellectually dishonest reasons put forth by the left.

At the same time, I'm STILL waiting for an answer 6 years later to what exactly did you propose to do about Saddam? He was tying up our military anyway. He was purchasing his way out of sanctions via under the table oil deals with France for UN votes. Were we supposed to just foot the bill for babysitting Saddam's ass indefinitely?

And, if you are for making Iran a glass parking lot, why not North Korea and Iraq as well? Shall we add Afghanistan and Pakistan to the list? Who's next?

Kim Jong Il is just another Saddam Hussein. He's going to rattle his sabre for handouts and he's going to get them.

Forum List

Back