Suicide Jumper Pushed

Discussion in 'Asia' started by Vel, May 23, 2009.

1. Vel

Vel Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,914
    Lian seems to be a man of direct action. Or maybe he was just pissed about the traffic jam.

Report: Would-be suicide jumper pushed off bridge

(CNN) -- A passerby pushed a would-be suicide jumper off a bridge in southern China because he was angry at the jumper's "selfish activity," Chinese media reported Saturday.

Lian Jiansheng, 66, who was passing by the bridge, offered to talk Chen down, Xinhua said. Police refused, but Lian broke through the police cordon and climbed to where Chen was sitting.
    Lian greeted Chen with a handshake, then pushed him off the bridge, Xinhua said.

Report: Would-be suicide jumper pushed off bridge - CNN.com

2. KittenKoder

KittenKoder Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,714
    I think suicide should be legal anyhow, so I have no feelings on this. But that is a pretty strange story.

3. Xenophon

Xenophon Gone and forgotten

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,751
    Attempted murder and they don't know if there are any charges.

China certainly is a wacky country.

4. Sarah G

Sarah G When Nothing Goes Right, Go Left Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +23,972
    5 hours is a long time to be holding up traffic. It's kind of funny when you think about it.

5. Sweet Willy

Sweet Willy BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +180
    He pushed the guy onto an inflatable landing pad they had set up for him. Probably would have pushed him anyway. I have been subjected many times over the years to people trying to hold me hostage to suicide threats. It's the most selfish thing a person can do and the best way to deal with it is to encourage them, without remorse or regret. You threraten ME with YOUR suicide? Oh no, threaten yourself. The ammo is on top of the fridge. And please, do it in the kitchen, on the tile. The living room carpet is new. I'll tell your parents you said "hi".

6. Sarah G

Sarah G When Nothing Goes Right, Go Left Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +23,972
    Yeah. It reminded me of the George Carlin thoughts on Anorexia and bulimia:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9_v-o_eFps]YouTube - George Carlin on Anorexics and Bulimia[/ame]

They do hold people hostage and their pain is very real but sometimes you just get exasperated with all of it.

7. Sweet Willy

Sweet Willy BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +180

I've known a few suicide cases. One guy with esophagial(sp?) cancer. Poor guy was pooring liquid trough a tube for months. Didn't threaten anyone, didn't guilt anyone, ended his suffering on his own terms. Good for him, I applaud. I dated a girl that suicided. She was screwed up already and tried to drag me into her pain. Left a note with plenty of blame for everyone. Never lost a wink. I have explained that to a couple of drama queens since then. I DON'T RESPOND TO SUICIDE THREATS. Kill yourself. Probably won't go to the wake. And if you do it here, I'll probably go to the beach for a week and let you rot on the floor.

That usually puts an end to the threats. Put on your Nikes and JUST DO IT.

8. strollingbones

strollingbones Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +31,870
    perhaps in the brief minute they talked the man ask to be pushed...he didnt have the courage......to do it alone

9. editec

editec Mr. Forgot-it-All

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,617
    Freakin' drama queen.

Can't blame the guy for pushing him.

10. Neser Boha

Neser Boha upgrade your gray matter

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +434
    I understand your sentiment... A friend of mine - a really good guy - threatened committing suicide once and I came to his apartment to talk to him and try to get him out of the funk. Second time, I took him out for a dinner and tried to make him feel better and all that jazz. Third time, I stopped talking to him for 6 months. Years later he's still fine - finally stopped the suicide threats when he figured out he'll lose me as a friend if he keeps at it.

Once I had a roommate who was 24 and an alcoholic. Several times I found him passed out in a bathroom or living room... Everytime I attempted at a bit of an intervention with him, he would talk about committing a suicide. The first time it happened, I sat there holding his hand, him telling me secrets even his best friend didn't know (my boyfriend at the time)... That night I really thought we reached a breakthrough. No such luck. It happened a couple more times... even had cops at our door because my roommate called a suicide phone-line and they reported it to the cops. I called his parents, even his psychiatrist... then I stopped trying and one night I yelled at him told him that if he pulls that suicidal shit again, I'll kick him out of the house... He stopped. Years later, he's still an alcoholic, but he's still alive.

Then a guy I used to work with - always happy, mischievous and amiable committed suicide... for no apparent reason. I'm sure there was one, but it's not like he was calling around his friends telling them he's on a verge of hurting himself.

Needles to say, I don't take suicide threats seriously anymore. It's all just a call for attention. Actually, it is a very childish and despicable behavior... I call it emotional terrorism. There are few things worse than sitting at home worrying that your friend is about to kill himself and you know that if he does it, you'll feel guilty for the rest of your life... What a disgusting thing to do to somebody.