Replacing a catalytic converter

Cut it open and sell the metal on ebay! :spinner:

Idk, but I just found this, maybe it would help?

Not about that. Why do you know so much, hmm? :uhh:
DUde, they say it every single time there's a story about how many are being stolen. I'm a car guy so I knew already, but you'd have to be living under a rock not to know by now.

DUde, they say it every single time there's a story about how many are being stolen. I'm a car guy so I knew already, but you'd have to be living under a rock not to know by now.
I bought one for $135. :dunno:

The old one went right in the can. If I had known, would have given it to a buddy.

I bought one for $135. :dunno:

The old one went right in the can. If I had known, would have given it to a buddy.
They're worth anywhere from $25 to $2-300 scrap value depending one size and metal content

The new one I just bought for my Mom's Kia over the summer was $1200 new and got $75 back at the scrap yard.

Cut it open and sell the metal on ebay! :spinner:

Idk, but I just found this, maybe it would help?

I dumped a gallon of paint thinner in the fuel tank last year when I first started smelling the thing. That worked for a little while.

Then there's a product called Cataclean that suposedly works.

Mine's rattling around on the inside now, though. Cleaning isn't gonna cut it.

It's due to be replaced. Probably should have already.

No way it'll go through emissions here, Duke.

That's what a lot of the fellers said to do over on the vette board, but they live in states where classics don't have to go through emissions inspection.

And I'm not gonna put an Antique tag on it. The only time you can drive it tagged that way is if you're going to a club event or to a show or a parade . Can't Legally drive it on the roadways for regular use with an Antique registration.
If your vehicle is pre 1975 in CA it is exempt from smog laws. Not sure where you are or what year vehicle you have, but maybe this info will be helpful.

Straight pipe it. We don't have vehicle inspections here.

Once that stopped, it doesn't matter anymore here.

Actually I did put one on, (myself, Durp!) but I had an air leak and it burned up the guts of the catalytic converter.

Which was probably brass or gold and it got red-hot and shots sparky guts of it out the tailpipe. Oops!

Had a buddy in California who was in a VW Bug club.
They all pitched in and bought a California compliant engine.
It only takes an hour to switch VW engine so they'd just pass it around whenever one of em needed a new inspection sticker.

Forum List

Back