Reparations for blacks?

When an elite university admits a C student from a rich family, like George W. Bush, the rich family is likely to make generous contributions to the university. That cannot be said of a beneficiary of affirmative action.

The argument Lisa makes this:
“less qualified“ black students take spots from better qualified, “hardworking” white students. This unfair and wrong.

Yet a much larger proportion of slots actual goes to legacy students. That hits all the points Lisa makes. It means better qualified students lose out.

Yet you justify it it by saying they make generous contributions. They are buying a slot at a prestigious college their kid may not have earned.

I fail to see a difference other than one is acceptable and the other is not.

Also, I am not sure that there are more legacy students at elite universities than affirmative action beneficiaries. I would like to see some statistics.

The percentage of the freshmen class admitted at several colleges via the legacy route exceeds the percentage of entering freshmen who are Black, According to ERN. For example, at Notre Dame, 21% of freshmen in the 2020 entering class were legacies, 4% were Black. At Harvard, 14% of the entering class were legacies, double the percentage of Black freshmen at 7%. Similar ratios were found at Stanford University, the University of North Carolina, and Cornell.

The first paper revealed that 43 percent of white admits to the College are athletes; legacies; on the Dean’s or Director’s lists, which contain relations of donors and high-profile figures; or children of Harvard employees — together referred to as “ALDCs.” In contrast, less than 16 percent of African American, Hispanic, and Asian American admits are ALDCs.

“That kind of blew my mind a little bit,” said Harvard Graduate School of Education professor Natasha Kumar Warikoo.

The authors found that a white, non-ALDC applicant with a 10 percent chance of admission would see a five-fold increase in their chance of admissions if they were a legacy; more than a seven-fold increase if they were on the Dean’s List; and would be admitted with “near certainty” if they were a recruited athlete.

The paper included several counterfactuals to simulate the admissions process without preferences for legacies or athletes. In both scenarios, the number of white admits decreased. For example, only one quarter of white ALDC admits would have been admitted had they been treated as non-ALDC applicants.

Unlike your example, princess is not an ethnic or racial slur.
But it is an immoderate slur, even if the intended target is being fallacious and provocative.

Yes…..legacy admits are a business decision.

Rearranging admissions standards in order to get blacks in and reject Asians and whites who are better qualified is racial discrimination - and illegal.
So you support discrimmination that rearranges ...
admissions standards in order to get blacks in and reject Asians and whites who are better qualified is racial discrimination - and illegal.

When it is a "business decision"...interesting.

Sorry, but (yet another) antisemitic leftist who tells a Jewish woman whose father and grandmother lost half their family to Hitler to “stop waving the Jew Card” - while daring to suggest that some blacks in California in 2023 may have had it worse than a Holocaust concentration camp prisoner - reveals such hostility toward Jews that you are not worthy of my tIme.

I can’t help but notice that the TRUE racists on this forum nary get a challenge from you.
Just as the man said, nobody trys to downplay the suffering of Jewish folks, it is you that comes with the billshit when it comes to the suffering that black folks have endured in America. When you want the racist, look in the mirror 🪞.

1) The race getting all the unfair favoritism are the blacks, so I concentrate on them.
Oh?

AA gave the same favoritism to women. And they benefitted.

There are also advantages given to Native Americans in admissions. Not sure about AA, have to look that up.

2) Some guy just started a thread a couple of days ago on how there are no whites on TV commercials. Why didn’t you jump down his throat?
I don’t go looking threads. If they catch my eye, I respond.

Did you respond?

It’s right in the thread headline, so don’t pretend you didn’t see it. The difference is - that poster isn’t Jewish. Your zero in with your venom for me because I am.
See that is what I mean by “pulling the Jew card”. It is you who, in every discussion about race bring up your Jewishness, and when confronted about your statements or views, accuse people of picking on you because you are Jewish. Correct me if I’m wrong but I don’t recall that from black members here.

Last edited:
More on legacy admissions.

I bet you didn’t realize this “business decision” was rooted in antisemitism?

The practice of giving admission preference to legacy applicants has a long history, extending back to the 1920s, when some colleges began to use the practice as a backdoor strategy for limiting the number of Jewish, minority and immigrant students by giving preference to alumni’s children who were seldom Jewish, people of color or immigrants.

Because she has no hesitation in insulting people herself. If she can’t take, she really shouldn’t be dishing it out.
I do not rely on insults and name calling because I do not need to. My arguments are occasionally controversial, but they are fact based and rational.

I do not rely on insults and name calling because I do not need to. My arguments are occasionally controversial, but they are fact based and rational.
That is good then, though I think fact based and rational is often open to interpretation. I prefer not to use insults, and don’t most of the time. I consider my arguments fact based and rational, others may not. In the end, we are all just human.

The person above my post.

But then I’ve been here since the early days.
Oh yeah, her. I’ve decided not to lower myself to her level any longer, especially given her repeated antisemitic slur - and after I’ve told her to stop.(I just wish we could place moderators on ignore.)

Oh yeah, her. I’ve decided not to lower myself to her level any longer, especially given her repeated antisemitic slur - and after I’ve told her to stop.(I just wish we could place moderators on ignore.)

As long as it's just words, not spamming forums in an attempt to close discussion, I am fine with it. I've dealt with Jew hatred ever since I was told as a child that I was a Christ killer. I learned to separate hate from hostility. The ones who called me "Christ Killer" were very hostile.

The ones who actually came after me, taught me to learn how to fight back.

The ones who poured gas on my father's car and had the garage on fire? They had hate.

That's my take on it.

My other take on race is that we are all variations on the same theme. Racism runs the entire spectrum to bigotry -->hostility in language --> hate action.

Racism follows the same spectrum but it's not a real thing. It's a human characteristic that is birthed from a failed theme imho.

As long as it's just words, not spamming forums in an attempt to close discussion, I am fine with it. I've dealt with Jew hatred ever since I was told as a child that I was a Christ killer. I learned to separate hate from hostility. The ones who called me "Christ Killer" were very hostile.

The ones who actually came after me, taught me to learn how to fight back.

The ones who poured gas on my father's car and had the garage on fire? They had hate.

That's my take on it.

My other take on race is that we are all variations on the same theme. Racism runs the entire spectrum to bigotry -->hostility in language --> hate action.

Racism follows the same spectrum but it's not a real thing. It's a human characteristic that is birthed from a failed theme imho.
I agree there are different degrees of antisemitism, and that hateful actions are of course worse than hostile words, but that doesn’t excuse a moderator who repeatedly uses an antisemitic against a Jew who has told her to stop it.

She targets and harrasses me for the EXACT same thing that non-Jews have said - one even started a thread on the very topic she chastised me for - and has never even responded. In any event, she’s beneath me and I won’t be engaging with her anymore.

As long as it's just words, not spamming forums in an attempt to close discussion, I am fine with it. I've dealt with Jew hatred ever since I was told as a child that I was a Christ killer.
The Christ killers were the Romans. Crucifixion was a Roman means of execution. Stoning was a Jewish means of execution.

If we really want to avenge the death of Jesus we should drop an H bomb on Rome. The obvious problem with that is that most of the people we would kill would be Christians.

The Jews who demanded to Pontius Pilate that he crucify Jesus did not represent all Jews for all time. They did not represent all Jews at the time. They did not even represent all, or even most Jews in Jerusalem at the time.

They were a rent a mob paid for the Sadducees.

The Christ killers were the Romans. Crucifixion was a Roman means of execution. Stoning was a Jewish means of execution.

If we really want to avenge the death of Jesus we should drop an H bomb on Rome. The obvious problem with that is that most of the people we would kill would be Christians.

The Jews who demanded to Pontius Pilate that he crucify Jesus did not represent all Jews for all time. They did not represent all Jews at the time. They did not even represent all, or even most Jews in Jerusalem at the time.

They were a rent a mob paid for the Sadducees.
Thank you. The vast majority of Jews in Israel, living during Jesus’ time, never even heard of him. The idea that all Jews would be despised and blamed for all time is horrible.

It would be the same as if a few blacks pressured someone to kill Sredo thousands of years ago, and then it was decreed that all blacks, forevermore and wherever they may live, should be held responsible and blamed and hated and expelled and murdered for Seredo’s death.

Forum List

Back