Rented Storage Units

DGS49

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2012
Pittsburgh
When I moved a couple years ago from a large house to a condo-townhouse, I got rid of as much "stuff" as I could, but there was still a truckload of shit that I couldn't sell or give away or dispose of. So I rented a storage unit, the size of a one-car garage (10x20). I got a good initial rate $125/mo), but over the past two years they have added fees and increased the rate, until a couple weeks ago I saw that it was approaching three hundred dollars per month(!).

Checking in with the owner's rep we talked about a few options, and found that they still featured the same initial rate. Think about that. They were charging me $250/mo but renting out new ones for half that, with a free month as an inducement!

So I asked the woman, What if I were a new customer? She hemmed and hawed a bit, and I continued, "My wife would be on the lease for the new one."

OK. We get the low, introductory rate and get the first month free. So we shifted all our stuff to the new one (two doors down) and emptied out the old one.

I can't believe this is really happening. Someone is going to get in touch with me next week and say the agent fucked up.

When I moved a couple years ago from a large house to a condo-townhouse, I got rid of as much "stuff" as I could, but there was still a truckload of shit that I couldn't sell or give away or dispose of. So I rented a storage unit, the size of a one-car garage (10x20). I got a good initial rate $125/mo), but over the past two years they have added fees and increased the rate, until a couple weeks ago I saw that it was approaching three hundred dollars per month(!).

Checking in with the owner's rep we talked about a few options, and found that they still featured the same initial rate. Think about that. They were charging me $250/mo but renting out new ones for half that, with a free month as an inducement!

So I asked the woman, What if I were a new customer? She hemmed and hawed a bit, and I continued, "My wife would be on the lease for the new one."

OK. We get the low, introductory rate and get the first month free. So we shifted all our stuff to the new one (two doors down) and emptied out the old one.

I can't believe this is really happening. Someone is going to get in touch with me next week and say the agent fucked up.

Sucks that they made you move all your stuff.

Damn, how much is that "junk" worth? Fifteen hundred to store it for the first year and double going forward. Must be some expensive "junk"

I give away my old stuff I don't want to hassle with selling it.
My brother spent a fortune storing his "stuff" while he was out at sea. I told him for what he is spending to store it, he could give it all away and buy way better stuff when he got back. He kept on renting and ended up dumping 90 percent of it anyway.

Question:

When was the last time you needed something from the storage unit?

You couldn't get rid of it, yeah sure Bub...At the dough you blew on the storage you could have bought a storage trailer.
You can't plunk something like that down in the yard at a condo/townhouse.

You can't just buy a container and plunk it down in your yard that you don't have.

The store was closer and he didn't have to dig for it.
I'm not making fun of the guy.

For real if you ain't getting something outta there every few weeks or at least once every month or so you're wasting your money unless it's family heirlooms or something similar.

/——/ Is all that stuff really worth $300 a month? Will you ever use any of it? In 10 years you would have spent $36,000 +. It would be like buying a new car and pushing it off a cliff every decade.

About 8 years ago my wife and I met with an investment adviser. Through my employer, company employees were offered 3 free meetings to get acquainted. The one thing he specifically pushed was a storage unit facility as part of a portfolio. He spoke favorably about how easily rents can be hiked and how it lacked the eviction protections pertaining to apartments. Didn't take long afterwards to notice how these facilities were sprouting like weeds around here.

Oh, we stayed clear of that advisor after those 3 free visits.

About 8 years ago my wife and I met with an investment adviser. Through my employer, company employees were offered 3 free meetings to get acquainted. The one thing he specifically pushed was a storage unit facility as part of a portfolio. He spoke favorably about how easily rents can be hiked and how it lacked the eviction protections pertaining to apartments. Didn't take long afterwards to notice how these facilities were sprouting like weeds around here.

Oh, we stayed clear of that advisor after those 3 free visits.

I wouldn’t trust owning storage lockers

People take the low introductory price, fill it with their garbage and then abandon it

Forum List

Back