Arc Flash! It's enough to make you want to wear PPE just to make toast

1srelluc

Diamond Member
Nov 21, 2021
Shenandoah Valley of Virginia

Some people though:

star-trek-star-trek-tos.gif

When I worked for Dupont we were on a holiday shutdown and a Arc Flash happened to a outside contractor who was working on a panel.....It liked to blow him into next week. They found him dead about 30' away.

I worked for DuPont. I saw the end results of one. Smoke was so thick you couldn't see a few feet in front of you. Somehow the electrician survived. He did decide to retire.

I worked for DuPont. I saw the end results of one. Smoke was so thick you couldn't see a few feet in front of you. Somehow the electrician survived. He did decide to retire.
Dupont required a team on a panel, even of contractors, but the guy was working by himself so they did not find him till the powerhouse fire alarm went off.

Same thing happened to my boss, the owners son, of course.
Marked/taped his wires wrong and when you cross phases, that's what happens.

An arc flash is one of the scarier things facing electrical workers. I was a field safety inspector for a company that builds transmission lines and rebuilds substations. They were very good at what they did. And the safety rules were carved in stone. We had a display in the lobby of the building with hardhat, face shield and safety vest from one such flash on display. It was great motivation. As if the workers needed more motivation.

I worked for them for about a year. My training (or lack of) limited what jobs I could work. I left after one specific investigation of a fatality.

Some people though:

star-trek-star-trek-tos.gif

When I worked for Dupont we were on a holiday shutdown and a Arc Flash happened to a outside contractor who was working on a panel.....It liked to blow him into next week. They found him dead about 30' away.

Knew two guys back in my high school days who were jacking around with the breaker boxes behind a strip center.
If fucked both of them up pretty badly. Both had multiple skin grafts up their arms and on their faces.
These two guys were a couple of idiots who were constantly doing stupid shit.
In fact there's only one of the dumbfucks alive today,the other committed suicide a few years ago.

Not enough money on the planet.

Forum List

Back