Renowned Physicist quits American Physical Society

Then explain it to me. Where does the science fail? If I'm not thinking, educate me. Telling a political story and calling AGW a scam, tells me nothing.

It's not that hard to see. We're talking about processes that develop over a geological timescale, and for which we have a small section of data to make use of. We don't have all the variables (we don't even know what all of the variables are, or what the relative importance is of the variables we do have). We don't have a control, which is important in science.

We're making the best educated guesses we can, making and then re-making models (which so far haven't proven to be great).

I think it is self-evident to anyone who knows even a little about science in general that we can't possibly have the level of certainty, in either direction, that is claimed by those involved in the political aspect of the debate.

The last 50 years is geological time scale? We have seen, are continueing to see, accelerating warming. Warming to the point that we have had three years now during which both the Northwest and Northeast passage were open.

And those in the Royal Society and the other National Academy of Sciences seem to be pretty certain that we are the primary cause of the warming, and that the warming represents a danger to all of us.

50 years isn't a geological time scale, but to be able to evaluate what is happening and why we have to be able to put climate change in the context of geological time scales. It's not like there hasn't been rapid change in the past. I'm not saying there isn't an anthropogenic effect, I'm just saying that neither you nor anyone else can say with absolute certainty that there is.

You can post links; it doesn't change the fact that we can't know the answers for certain.

I've personally spoken to a former IPCC member, sitting two feet across from me for hours over a few beers, who was co-recipient of a Nobel prize, and he confirmed what I'm saying - of course we can't know for sure. But his view was it needed to be expressed in more certain terms to galvanize public support. His personal view is that it is happening. But that's politics, not science.

I know good science when I see it, and I work with good scientists all the time. The link-postings of a guy in an anonymous internet chat don't impress me.

"Strong evidence" isn't certainty. It's evidence. That's fine. Quit saying it is "certain" when it isn't.

By "scam" Si Modo isn't referring to the science, but instead, is referring to the scientific tradition of critical skeptacism that seems to have been strangely omitted from the GW institutional debate.

So, the science ISN'T a scam. Thank you. Why call it one then, when you mean exaggeration? If you don't, then who's REALLY perpetrating a scam?

No, Thank you for the excellent example of purposeful misinterpretation that continues to make GW such a controversial subject:

Rather than simply accepting the need to objectively investigage alternative causes for physical phenomena, you'd rather stifle the discussion before this normal process can be done.

This only adds to the suspicion that GW is a scam.

Huzzah Huzzah!

A good clue as to which side is pinning the bogometer is to see which one is declaring "The Debate Is Over".

What we can say that there is very, very strong evidence that AGW is the primary cause of the present warming. We saw the speed with which glaciers reacted to even a little cooling from 1940 to 1970. Now we see them very rapidly retreating, and the Greenland Ice Cap and the Antarctic Ice Cap loosing ice by the giga-ton. Yet the TSI of the sun has actually declined a bit, the last sunspot cycle has been the quietest in a hundred years. We had a strong La Nina at a solar minimum in 2008, and it was the tenth warmest year on record. But the increase in GHGs in the atmosphere was 40% for CO2, 150% for CH4, and there are industrial GHGs that are thousands of times as effective GHG as CO2.

I think that we can safely say that it is established beyond a reasonable doubt that we are the primary contributor to the present warming.

Old Rocks doesn't understand that there is a difference between manmade warming and significant manmade warming. Or the difference between weather and climate. Or the difference between correlation and causation.

And immediatly get gigged by people like yourself for putting 'may have, there is a strong possibility, given the evidence' ect' in their papers. If they state unequivocaly, you say that is bad science, if they state it in terms of possibility, then you say, see, they really don't know what they are talking about.

Simply, you, and the rest like you, do not like real science. Especially if it disagrees with your political version of false reality.

Epic Fail fool. When alarmists use the terms there is consensus that man is causing X and if man continues to do X something bad may happen. That is where the disconnect happens olfraud. If I say "if you place some explosives here it will seperate the ledge along that fracture line over there and you will find your gold seam at that point there (points to little crack in wall of adit)......you can take that to the bank...and many have.

What we can say that there is very, very strong evidence that AGW is the primary cause of the present warming. We saw the speed with which glaciers reacted to even a little cooling from 1940 to 1970. Now we see them very rapidly retreating, and the Greenland Ice Cap and the Antarctic Ice Cap loosing ice by the giga-ton. Yet the TSI of the sun has actually declined a bit, the last sunspot cycle has been the quietest in a hundred years. We had a strong La Nina at a solar minimum in 2008, and it was the tenth warmest year on record. But the increase in GHGs in the atmosphere was 40% for CO2, 150% for CH4, and there are industrial GHGs that are thousands of times as effective GHG as CO2.

I think that we can safely say that it is established beyond a reasonable doubt that we are the primary contributor to the present warming.

What caused the Earth to heat up beginning in 1850 (and is continuing in the present)?

What caused the Earth to heat up beginning in 1850 (and is continuing in the present)?

The same thing that caused the Mid evil warm period, roman warm period and Holocene optimum. The sun!:clap2: Of course the peak output maxed out in 1950...

628px-The_Sun_by_the_Atmospheric_Imaging_Assembly_of_NASA%27s_Solar_Dynamics_Observatory_-_20100801.jpg

Last edited:

The same thing that caused the Mid evil warm period, roman warm period and Holocene optimum. The sun!:clap2: Of course the peak output maxed out in 1950...

628px-The_Sun_by_the_Atmospheric_Imaging_Assembly_of_NASA%27s_Solar_Dynamics_Observatory_-_20100801.jpg

Possibly, we honestly don't know, but the Sun is certainly a prime suspect and the Earth is still responding to the heating that began in 1850.

And no response at all to a 40% increase in the primary greenhouse gas? Yes, the earth's climate responds to small changes in the solar output. That is why we should be seeing a cooling right now like that we saw between 1940 and 1970. But we are not. We are seeing an accelerating warming.

And, by the way, if we are still responding to minor increase in solar output between 1850 and 1940, why did it cool from 1940 to 1970? That could not be from particulate matter that mankind put in the air could it? And if we can affect the temperature of the Earth from particulate matter, then what makes you think that our changing the composition of the atmosphere to the point that we have 40% more GHGs is not going to have an affect?

Climate Change: A Summary of the Science - Publications - The Royal Society

Climate forcing by greenhouse gas changes
28 Changes in atmospheric composition resulting from human activity have enhanced the
natural greenhouse effect, causing a positive climate forcing. Calculations, which are
supported by laboratory and atmospheric measurements, indicate that these additional
gases have caused a climate forcing during the industrial era of around 2.9 Wm-2, with
an uncertainty of about ±0.2 Wm-2. Other climate change mechanisms resulting from
human activity are more uncertain (see later); calculations that take into account these
other positive and negative forcings (including the role of atmospheric particles) indicate
that the net effect of all human activity has caused a positive climate forcing of around
1.6 Wm-2 with an estimated uncertainty of about ±0.8 Wm-2.

29 Application of established physical principles shows that, even in the absence of
processes that amplify or reduce climate change (see paragraphs 12 & 13), the climate
sensitivity would be around 1oC, for a doubling of CO2 concentrations. A climate forcing
of 1.6 Wm-2 (see previous paragraph) would, in this hypothetical case, lead to a globallyaveraged
surface warming of about 0.4oC. However, as will be discussed in paragraph
The Royal Society Climate change: a summary of the science I September 2010 I 6
36, it is expected that the actual change, after accounting for the additional processes,
will be greater than this.

Old Rocks is just being pompass again. The latest paper on solar output finds that the ivsible spectra (that heats us) has increased even though overall output has decreased. His climate models totally simplistic and fail to include factors that are too complex or unknown. CO2 will increase the temp a few tenths of a degree but that is probably a good thing. And his everpresent 'tipping points' are nothing but fevered imagination.

Old Rocks is just being pompass again. The latest paper on solar output finds that the ivsible spectra (that heats us) has increased even though overall output has decreased. His climate models totally simplistic and fail to include factors that are too complex or unknown. CO2 will increase the temp a few tenths of a degree but that is probably a good thing. And his everpresent 'tipping points' are nothing but fevered imagination.

Fevered imagination? Perhaps you should do some research first. There's all sorts of info out there. Simply calling everything simplistic doesn't cut it. How about telling us what factors are too complex? Even more ludicrous is the notion of "unknown" factors. If they're unknown, how can you be confident they even exist? You're just furthering the meme that "scientists don't know what they're talking about", when the truth is just the opposite with regard to who knows what.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tipping_point_(climatology)

Fevered imagination? Perhaps you should do some research first. There's all sorts of info out there. Simply calling everything simplistic doesn't cut it. How about telling us what factors are too complex? Even more ludicrous is the notion of "unknown" factors. If they're unknown, how can you be confident they even exist? You're just furthering the meme that "scientists don't know what they're talking about", when the truth is just the opposite with regard to who knows what.

the spectral analysis from your boy Gavin Schmidt at Real Climate was an unknown factor until just recently. do you honestly believe we know all there is to know about climate science? hahaha, you're retarded then.

And no response at all to a 40% increase in the primary greenhouse gas? Yes, the earth's climate responds to small changes in the solar output. That is why we should be seeing a cooling right now like that we saw between 1940 and 1970. But we are not. We are seeing an accelerating warming.

And, by the way, if we are still responding to minor increase in solar output between 1850 and 1940, why did it cool from 1940 to 1970? That could not be from particulate matter that mankind put in the air could it? And if we can affect the temperature of the Earth from particulate matter, then what makes you think that our changing the composition of the atmosphere to the point that we have 40% more GHGs is not going to have an affect?

28 Changes in atmospheric composition resulting from human activity have enhanced the
natural greenhouse effect, causing a positive climate forcing. Calculations, which are
supported by laboratory and atmospheric measurements, indicate that these additional
gases have caused a climate forcing during the industrial era of around 2.9 Wm-2, with
an uncertainty of about ±0.2 Wm-2. Other climate change mechanisms resulting from
human activity are more uncertain (see later); calculations that take into account these
other positive and negative forcings (including the role of atmospheric particles) indicate
that the net effect of all human activity has caused a positive climate forcing of around

29 Application of established physical principles shows that, even in the absence of
processes that amplify or reduce climate change (see paragraphs 12 & 13), the climate
sensitivity would be around 1oC, for a doubling of CO2 concentrations. A climate forcing
of 1.6 Wm-2 (see previous paragraph) would, in this hypothetical case, lead to a globallyaveraged
36, it is expected that the actual change, after accounting for the additional processes,

Whaaaa? To borrow a phrase from Jon Stewart, please show how CO2 raises the temps. Vostock says warming first then CO2 rise 800 years after the fact. We are 800 years after the MWP, according to the Vostock cores the CO2 we see now is from the MWP.

Prove me wrong.

:lol::lol::lol: konrad, poor konrad. Forst you have to resort to wiki, which is a joke in and of itself, then you have to resort to yet another tipping point article:lol::lol::lol: How many tipping points are we up to now? 7? 9? You crack me up, you people have been warning of us impending doom for longer than the loon with the sandwhich boards!

I think he finally died though. And so will your religion.

27_2528833-1.jpg

Forum List

Back