Remote Pacific island full of plastic refuse

An uninhabited island in the South Pacific, Henderson Island, has been found to be full of trash, mostly plastic:
38 million pieces of plastic waste found on uninhabited South Pacific island

I suppose if it was a destination for tourists, everything would have been cleaned up.

Supposedly a lot of the ocean fish have plastic in their organism:
How Plastic In The Ocean Is Contaminating Your Seafood

More plastic than fish in oceans by 2050

I know India has banned plastic bags, although I don't know how strongly that is enforced. It's good that you can get paper bags in most large grocery stores in the US. A total ban might help somewhat, although as seen in the first article, various plastic items are the source of pollution.

Yep, I heard about this last week.

Actually though the island is uninhabited, it does have an owner. A collective one. All those morons who deliberately toss their recyclables into a trash can when there's a recycle bin right there next to it, just to be ignorant. They own the place. And they should go clean it up.

Mind you, they don't own the island as in the land mass. Just the plastic on it.

Don't HAVE to use paper. Use cloth resusables

And enjoy all the diseases you get for free with filthy cloth bags!
I don't suppose you wash your clothes either.

Most people don't wash those nasty cloth bags. Of course the ones who do are using water and electricity, so there goes your environment again.

Do you know "most" people that use cloth bags? Me theenks... No. So there's that.
I don't use cloth bags for earth. I am an environmentally unfriendly bitch. My truck uses the gas of a dozen herds of crappy lil prius's and I don't give a set of frog balls
There's that, too

Most people don't wash those nasty cloth bags. Of course the ones who do are using water and electricity, so there goes your environment again.

Do you know "most" people that use cloth bags? Me theenks... No. So there's that.
I don't use cloth bags for earth. I am an environmentally unfriendly bitch. My truck uses the gas of a dozen herds of crappy lil prius's and I don't give a set of frog balls
There's that, too

I carry three shopping sacks in my car. They're made from recycled plastic bottles.

An uninhabited island in the South Pacific, Henderson Island, has been found to be full of trash, mostly plastic:

I suppose if it was a destination for tourists, everything would have been cleaned up.

I know India has banned plastic bags, although I don't know how strongly that is enforced. It's good that you can get paper bags in most large grocery stores in the US. A total ban might help somewhat, although as seen in the first article, various plastic items are the source of pollution.

Why are you bringing up the U.S.? We are one of the most environmentally friendly countries in the world. All this garbage in the Pacific is coming from Asia.

There's that, too

I carry three shopping sacks in my car. They're made from recycled plastic bottles.

I've got a stack I've made over time. Some old canvas I had. Stole a flannel shirt hubby never wore. But insisted he MIGHT have someday if I hadn't turned it into a bag.
Bags and plastic bottles are a couple of peeves of mine

Why are you bringing up the U.S.? We are one of the most environmentally friendly countries in the world. All this garbage in the Pacific is coming from Asia.
I don't disagree that the US is in a much better position, but there's still a lot of work to be done.

There's also the problem of excessive packaging in the richer countries.

Actually not all. It floats from around the world, including Europe, including the Americas.

..... They're made from recycled plastic bottles.

A recycling process that also consumes natural resources.

Boy, you couldn't be pleased if someone stuck you with a diamond and gold stick, would ya?

Nailed it. Hence his name.

As a friend of mine likes to put it, "some people, you hand 'em a million dollars and they'll complain about the color of the money".

His avatar should be --->
rant2-1.gif

On NPR they were talking about all the efforts being made to clean up the mess. It was encouraging.

I've always said we need to pay fisherman to clean up trash when they can't fish. They overfishing and so we could pay them to clean up trash. By the pound. Well it turns out they are doing this now. Perhaps there's hope

I guess if you get marooned on that island you wouldn't have to rig up some coconut shells to catch water. I recall being aboard a U.S. Navy ship years ago and hearing the periodic calls to "sweep down all ladders and passage ways and throw all trash and garbage over the faintail". I hope the U.S. Navy is more environmentally concerned today but maybe the damage is already done.

Answer is wax worms

Another "eco-tragedy".... :(
Anyway I think that the British government should clean that island because it's a British colony (maybe with some help from nearby states :) )

Another "eco-tragedy".... :(
Anyway I think that the British government should clean that island because it's a British colony (maybe with some help from nearby states :) )

May be, but whoever planted their flag on it, has nothing to do with plastic waste. If anything Britain should demand that the plastic-dumpers who dumped it should "get your shit off our island".

Wouldn't it be nice to actually have the funds to go and clean these once beautiful places up.
Wouldn't it be nice to take all the subsidies for the fossil fuel corporations, and dedicate them to cleaning up the mess their products have created? I think that would be a real step in the right direction.

What's in your shopping bag? Bacteria

Way to go, all you planet-saving shoppers who've made the switch to reusable bags! But consider:

"Reusable" doesn't mean "self-cleaning."

Researchers at the University of Arizona and Loma Linda University queried shoppers headed into grocery stores in California and Arizona, asking them if they wash those reusable bags.

The researchers were likely met with a lot of blank looks. Most shoppers -- 97%, in fact -- reported that they do not regularly, if ever, wash the bags.

Further, three-fourths acknowledged that they don't use separate bags for meats and for vegetables, and about a third said they used the bags for, well, all sorts of things (storing snacks, toting books). You can see where this is going

What's in your shopping bag? Bacteria

The ocean is full of plastic?

Well I reckon this is great news, no one will ever down again.

Forum List

Back