Remote Pacific island full of plastic refuse

xyz

Gold Member
Oct 5, 2016
An uninhabited island in the South Pacific, Henderson Island, has been found to be full of trash, mostly plastic:
38 million pieces of plastic waste found on uninhabited South Pacific island

I suppose if it was a destination for tourists, everything would have been cleaned up.

Supposedly a lot of the ocean fish have plastic in their organism:
How Plastic In The Ocean Is Contaminating Your Seafood

More plastic than fish in oceans by 2050

I know India has banned plastic bags, although I don't know how strongly that is enforced. It's good that you can get paper bags in most large grocery stores in the US. A total ban might help somewhat, although as seen in the first article, various plastic items are the source of pollution.

Wouldn't it be nice to actually have the funds to go and clean these once beautiful places up.

An uninhabited island in the South Pacific, Henderson Island, has been found to be full of trash, mostly plastic:

I suppose if it was a destination for tourists, everything would have been cleaned up.

I know India has banned plastic bags, although I don't know how strongly that is enforced. It's good that you can get paper bags in most large grocery stores in the US. A total ban might help somewhat, although as seen in the first article, various plastic items are the source of pollution.

I know India has banned plastic bags

Kill the trees!

Kill the trees!
Of course it is beyond your capabilities to post anything intelligent.

But besides that, it is also illegal to export raw wood out of India.

Kill the trees!

Hey, fucktard, if you ban plastic bags, you have to use paper.
You discover a way to make paper without killing trees?
DERP!

Kill the trees!
You ever heard of shopping bags? They sell them at all the supermarkets.

Kill the trees!

Cool.
Now all you need to do is get hundreds of millions of Indians to buy shopping bags.

Kill the trees!

Hey, fucktard, if you ban plastic bags, you have to use paper.
You discover a way to make paper without killing trees?
DERP!
upload_2017-5-20_15-7-11.png

Geez, I thought I lived in the back of beyond. Where are YOU?

Kill the trees!

Cool.
Now all you need to do is get hundreds of millions of Indians to buy shopping bags.

You believe the Indians to be the sole problem here?
Ever just look around in a large grocery store and parking lot at all the waste?

Don't HAVE to use paper. Use cloth resusables

What's in your shopping bag? Bacteria

Way to go, all you planet-saving shoppers who've made the switch to reusable bags! But consider:

"Reusable" doesn't mean "self-cleaning."

Researchers at the University of Arizona and Loma Linda University queried shoppers headed into grocery stores in California and Arizona, asking them if they wash those reusable bags.

The researchers were likely met with a lot of blank looks. Most shoppers -- 97%, in fact -- reported that they do not regularly, if ever, wash the bags.

Further, three-fourths acknowledged that they don't use separate bags for meats and for vegetables, and about a third said they used the bags for, well, all sorts of things (storing snacks, toting books). You can see where this is going

Kill the trees!

Cool.

Ever just look around in a large grocery store and parking lot at all the waste?

No. I believe India was mentioned.

Way to go, all you planet-saving shoppers who've made the switch to reusable bags! But consider:

Researchers at the University of Arizona and Loma Linda University queried shoppers headed into grocery stores in California and Arizona, asking them if they wash those reusable bags.

The researchers were likely met with a lot of blank looks. Most shoppers -- 97%, in fact -- reported that they do not regularly, if ever, wash the bags.

Further, three-fourths acknowledged that they don't use separate bags for meats and for vegetables, and about a third said they used the bags for, well, all sorts of things (storing snacks, toting books). You can see where this is going

Good! If they're too fuckin stupid and nasty to clean what they carry their edibles in... They deserve a flesh eating disease on the forehead

Remember when they studied people's water bottles? Same thing. We're pigs. Face it.

Remember when they studied people's water bottles? Same thing. We're pigs. Face it.

Water bottles / bottled water are a plague upon the skin of our world.

I'll stick to my clean plastic grocery bags.

Forum List

Back