religion is just brainwashing

So because you think your friends and family never thought for themselves in following a religion, you're going to not think for yourself in reject religion. And everyone clearly does things the same

That doesn't seem to be a winning plan

....all the Catholics I know, including my father's family, grew up Catholic
since they were babies, their parents took them to church and school where they were taught, from their earliest childhood--about Catholicism
...this is like brainwashing kids to believe in ''something''
..sure, they ask them if they want to ''renounce satan, follow jesus, etc--later!--but even this is ''forced'' on them
isn't this the way most religions are?

if I were born in Indonesia, chances are very, very great I would not be Catholic--but Islamic---
Sure. Open season for snarky smart asses. What ISN'T "brain washing"?

since they were babies, their parents took them to church and school where they were taught, from their earliest childhood--about Catholicism
..sure, they ask them if they want to ''renounce satan, follow jesus, etc--later!--but even this is ''forced'' on them

if I were born in Indonesia, chances are very, very great I would not be Catholic--but Islamic---

Simple: Evidence-based, rational determinations.

We know how to deal with people who believe in religion ...

foxes-book-of-martyrs.gif

Well, yes, BUT that necessitates people are rational and want facts. You and I might agree. You can take a horse to water...you can't make people think.

Well, yes, BUT that necessitates people are rational and want facts. You and I might agree. You can take a horse to water...you can't make people think.

Oh, no doubt, many people prefer being brainwashed. It's easier.

Okay, first of all, so what?

Second of all, what do you think parenting IS, except for teaching your children right and wrong and the way the world works to the best of your understanding?

Third, very few people in my experience retain the beliefs they are taught as children without ever giving them any contemplation as adults. It's much more common for people to hit an age where they begin forming their own views and opinions, and either reject their parents' beliefs for good, or eventually choose on their own to accept them.

If you really, genuinely want to explore this, then fine, but frankly, the tone of your post suggests you're really just looking to rant and rail against religion. Which takes us back to my first question: so what? What's it to you what people believe and why?

It provides answers and strength and guidance and comfort to many.

Why do grown adults need a fairy tale to "provide answers and strength?"

What's it you how people find comfort in a seemingly mad world? I prefer joints, but I am not going to begrudge others.

Nothing to me, actually, until they start imposing it on me, as it is their general MO.

Really? You've got a lot of Catholics knocking on your front door, demanding that you attend church with them, do you?

Oooh another Catholic bashing thread

Lame
no, I'm not bashing anyone...

You might want to take a closer look at your OP and how you phrased it, then, because I can tell you that you made it very clear that you were all about denigrating Catholicism and those who practice it. Maybe learn to comprehend your own words and how they come across.

It provides answers and strength and guidance and comfort to many.

Why do grown adults need a fairy tale to "provide answers and strength?"

What's it you how people find comfort in a seemingly mad world? I prefer joints, but I am not going to begrudge others.

Nothing to me, actually, until they start imposing it on me, as it is their general MO.

Really? You've got a lot of Catholics knocking on your front door, demanding that you attend church with them, do you?

I can attest he doesn't

Then get your strength and comfort wherever you choose to, and mind your own damned business about where and how others find theirs.

Well if everyone did that, there would be no USMB forum for you to open up topics you hate and then complain about them! :D

Then get your strength and comfort wherever you choose to, and mind your own damned business about where and how others find theirs.

Well if everyone did that, there would be no USMB forum for you to open up topics you hate and then complain about them! :D

Amazingly enough, I'd be perfectly content if you religion-haters would grow the fuck up and discuss something real, other than chewing over your own bile. At the moment, I'm just working with what's available.

Forum List

Back