CDZ Reinstate The Draft

Wow - lots of "un-appreciation" for the men and women who have served/are serving. I wouldn't be surprised if some of these posters would find delight in spitting on solders coming home or burning the American flag. There are others who have obviously had prior problems & issues with senior enlisted people and those hate-filled days still burn vividly in their hateful minds. Obviously these weren't the best of servicemen and were nothing more than an administrative burden to the government, the military and our nation during their time in service (similar to the economic and socio drag we get from fed prisoners). And of course, they caused their families much discomfort and embarrassment too. In any event - there are several countries who currently require their young folks to serve in the military. I think it's fantastic - and I especially think the Israel chicks in uniform are gorgeous.

• Albania
  • Armenia
  • Austria
  • Azerbaijan
  • Belarus
  • Bermuda
  • Brazil
  • China (PRC)
  • Colombia
  • Cyprus
  • Denmark
  • Egypt
  • Finland
  • Germany
  • Greece
  • Iran
  • Israel
  • South Korea
  • Malaysia
  • Mexico
  • Norway
  • Russia
  • Serbia
  • Singapore
  • Switzerland
  • Taiwan (ROC)
  • Turkey
  • Ukraine
Being a vet, I don't need all the praise and recognition, the discounts are nice though...

No hell no. I'm not a young American. I'm older American who did serve in the military and feel it was the best thing that could have happened to a young kid (me) who had no direction in life. I was constantly in trouble growing up and the military environment taught me many things - that's why I highly recommend it for young folks who don't know what to do (yet) with themselves. I have served with draftees and they were a horrible lot. Lots of drugs, laziness, bad quality workmanship. I should have clarified - mandatory service - not a draft. And that would include things like the Peace Corps, the Salvation Army, Greenpeace, who cares. As long as they are committed to doing something that they believe in, whether that be serving in the military, or saving porpose' for two years.

Can you really force someone to do something that they 'believe in'?

I am an older American who never served- just young enough to not have been subject to the Vietnam era draft- and yet- I had direction in my life- I didn't get into trouble.

Your solution seems to be a very broad stroke solution to a problem that is largely not there- most young people are not constantly in trouble- most find direction in their lives.

Now- having a voluntary service that was similar- for those who do need direction- need purpose- well that I can support- but that should apply to people of any age.

Wow - lots of "un-appreciation" for the men and women who have served/are serving. I wouldn't be surprised if some of these posters would find delight in spitting on solders coming home or burning the American flag. There are others who have obviously had prior problems & issues with senior enlisted people and those hate-filled days still burn vividly in their hateful minds. Obviously these weren't the best of servicemen and were nothing more than an administrative burden to the government, the military and our nation during their time in service (similar to the economic and socio drag we get from fed prisoners). And of course, they caused their families much discomfort and embarrassment too. In any event - there are several countries who currently require their young folks to serve in the military. I think it's fantastic - and I especially think the Israel chicks in uniform are gorgeous.

• Albania
  • Armenia
  • Austria
  • Azerbaijan
  • Belarus
  • Bermuda
  • Brazil
  • China (PRC)
  • Colombia
  • Cyprus
  • Denmark
  • Egypt
  • Finland
  • Germany
  • Greece
  • Iran
  • Israel
  • South Korea
  • Malaysia
  • Mexico
  • Norway
  • Russia
  • Serbia
  • Singapore
  • Switzerland
  • Taiwan (ROC)
  • Turkey
  • Ukraine

Stow the rhetorical horsepucky Chief...you're starting to sound more like a politician.

And to give Chief his due- at times I have thought the same way he does now.

But I think that there are better solutions to the problem- and face it- no one will want to fund it.

For a variety of reasons. Primarily - to give young Americans an opportunity to serve - let's say 2 years active, 4 in the reserves, immediately following graduation from high school. Not only will two years of active duty be of benefit to America, it will also instill some tremendous values into a generation who seems to have none. Build some pride. Have an opportunity to team build, work with others - do something for people in need.

Discuss...

No...the last thing we need is to infect the army with more anti military left wingers. The military works best when those who want to serve, serve. It is a calling and shouldn't be forced on people.

For a variety of reasons. Primarily - to give young Americans an opportunity to serve - let's say 2 years active, 4 in the reserves, immediately following graduation from high school. Not only will two years of active duty be of benefit to America, it will also instill some tremendous values into a generation who seems to have none. Build some pride. Have an opportunity to team build, work with others - do something for people in need.

Discuss...

No...the last thing we need is to infect the army with more anti military left wingers. The military works best when those who want to serve, serve. It is a calling and shouldn't be forced on people.

I don't think Liberal men would choose the military option. They'd go Greenpeace or some other "sissy" organization

I was kind of joking, but I think military service is good for some young guys. I went in the Navy at 18, actually learned a skill that served me later on in life. You also do learn discipline. From day one, that's for sure. I went places I probably wouldn't have ever seen also. West pacific Hawaii, Japan, Philippines, Hong Kong.

I loved it...but neither of us were forced to serve. While I am sure that some draftees ended up being glad they were drafted and/or proud of their distinguished service, there are others that have regrets for varied reasons...those that lived to have regrets anyway.

If the cause is just, you don't need to force people to fight for it.

But I think that there are better solutions to the problem- and face it- no one will want to fund it.

When we were on active duty the majority of us probably thought that way...at least up until the time we had kids and they started getting near the draft age. While we were all proud to serve, we weren't blind to the BS that comes with it...and how that BS has gotten deeper over the years...I wanted my kids to have better than me. My boy enlisted, despite my attempts to have him at least get college and get a commission...but he, like his dad, did what he felt he had to do...unlike his dad, he paid the ultimate price. I am proud of him for volunteering...but I will never, ever, support forcing other parents' kids into doing the same.

I was kind of joking, but I think military service is good for some young guys. I went in the Navy at 18, actually learned a skill that served me later on in life. You also do learn discipline. From day one, that's for sure. I went places I probably wouldn't have ever seen also. West pacific Hawaii, Japan, Philippines, Hong Kong.

I loved it...but neither of us were forced to serve. While I am sure that some draftees ended up being glad they were drafted and/or proud of their distinguished service, there are others that have regrets for varied reasons...those that lived to have regrets anyway.

If the cause is just, you don't need to force people to fight for it.

I joined mostly because a couple friends my age got their draft notices. I didn't want army, so joined the navy. In a way, I was kind of forced to join. Still, it worked out well for me. We still need men to man the ships etc. so hats off to the lifers who give up a normal family life by doing this job and also being there to train the younger guys. They deserve their pensions, bennies, and then some.

Discuss...

I don't think Liberal men would choose the military option. They'd go Greenpeace or some other "sissy" organization

I have always been what I would consider to be a liberal- and would have gladly volunteered if the United States was actually threatened as in WW2, or after 9/11.

I looked at the military closely after high school but choose not to go- I trusted our military just fine- I didn't trust the government to use the military wisely.

Discuss...

I have always been what I would consider to be a liberal- and would have gladly volunteered if the United States was actually threatened as in WW2, or after 9/11.

I looked at the military closely after high school but choose not to go- I trusted our military just fine- I didn't trust the government to use the military wisely.

I remember a kid who went to trial for not registering for the draft...back in the mid-80s I believe. His defense was that he could not trust the government to utilize his life wisely. Smart kid...not smart enough to get off though.

Discuss...

I remember a kid who went to trial for not registering for the draft...back in the mid-80s I believe. His defense was that he could not trust the government to utilize his life wisely. Smart kid...not smart enough to get off though.

Yeah- that defense doesn't work.

Another good reason to have a volunteer force.

To have a draft to fight a war requires the war to be of real value to America. Vietnam was not and the draft was scuttled. We fought WWII with both volunteers and draftees, and the major difference was their serial numbers.

No hell no. I'm not a young American. I'm older American who did serve in the military and feel it was the best thing that could have happened to a young kid (me) who had no direction in life. I was constantly in trouble growing up and the military environment taught me many things - that's why I highly recommend it for young folks who don't know what to do (yet) with themselves. I have served with draftees and they were a horrible lot. Lots of drugs, laziness, bad quality workmanship. I should have clarified - mandatory service - not a draft. And that would include things like the Peace Corps, the Salvation Army, Greenpeace, who cares. As long as they are committed to doing something that they believe in, whether that be serving in the military, or saving porpose' for two years.

Yes. You should have clarified that the entire point of your thread escaped you at the time you pressed "submit"

Discuss...
"Me want slaves" says OP.
Is the OP Charlie Rangel?
FrontPage Magazine - Charlie Rangel Wants to Draft Your Daughter (And Your Mom, Too)

The OP never was enslaved or "served". Anyone who has ever done so, or has honestly spoken to a person on a personal level who was subjugated to military service knows what I am talking about.

Last edited:
For a variety of reasons. Primarily - to give young Americans an opportunity to serve - let's say 2 years active, 4 in the reserves, immediately following graduation from high school.

Young Americans already have an opportunity to serve. Its called volunteering.

A standing army larger than is required is wasteful and invites politicians to start wars. If you think it will be a fair draft where the sons of the Koch Bros. and Donal Trumps of the world will be forced to serve just as much as some kid from the hood - you're fooling yourself.

Not only will two years of active duty be of benefit to America, it will also instill some tremendous values into a generation who seems to have none. Build some pride. Have an opportunity to team build, work with others - do something for people in need.

Discuss...

The idea that it is beneficial to the people in it is also not supported by the data - veterans have higher rates of unemployment and higher rates of homelessness and higher rates of mental diseases than the general population. Whatever "values" are being instilled, it doesn't seem to be helping them much in the civilian world.

Also - the U.S. military does not exist to "do something for people in need" - it exist for the purposes of destroying the assets of our enemies when our government deems fit.

When we were on active duty the majority of us probably thought that way...at least up until the time we had kids and they started getting near the draft age. While we were all proud to serve, we weren't blind to the BS that comes with it...and how that BS has gotten deeper over the years...I wanted my kids to have better than me. My boy enlisted, despite my attempts to have him at least get college and get a commission...but he, like his dad, did what he felt he had to do...unlike his dad, he paid the ultimate price. I am proud of him for volunteering...but I will never, ever, support forcing other parents' kids into doing the same.
I am sorry to hear of your loss. Just know that some of us out here truely appreciate your son's ultimate sacrifice, as well as the price you and your family pays every day. Thank you.

Discuss...
"Me want slaves" says OP.
Is the OP Charlie Rangel?
FrontPage Magazine - Charlie Rangel Wants to Draft Your Daughter (And Your Mom, Too)

The OP never was enslaved or "served". Anyone who has ever done so, or has honestly spoken to a person on a personal level who was subjugated to military service knows what I am talking about.
Care to back up your claims that the OP never served? If not then SHUT UP, SIT DOWN AND BE THANKFUL YOU LIVE IN A FREE COUNTRY.

Discuss...

Oliver Stone went to Vietnam
To have a draft to fight a war requires the war to be of real value to America. Vietnam was not and the draft was scuttled. We fought WWII with both volunteers and draftees, and the major difference was their serial numbers.

But I think they started drafting in WW2 when not enough people enlisted.

Forum List

Back