• yes

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

oldsoul

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2015
Standing with Covington Kids
Let me start by saying that I drive for a living. While I don't log the hours that many OTR drivers do, nor do I frequent major metro areas, ok, not even minor ones (the biggest "metro" area I frequent has a population of about 125k), I log around 2,000 miles a month. I see alot of really poor driving habits such as: following too close, lack of turn signals, no headlights (even during inclimate weather), speeding, and distracted driving.

Here are a few statistics from the U.S. Census Bureau's web page (most are from 2009, unless noted):

• There where 10.8 million crashes.
  • More than half of people who died, where not wearing a seatbelt according to the CDC.
  • Distracted drivers account for 16% of fatal crashes, and 20% of injuries.
  • According to propertycasualty360.com 12% of distracted drivers where using their cell phone, while 62% where "daydreaming" (2012 numbers).
  • Drunk drivers accounted for 22.3% of fatalities.
  • Speeding was attributed to 31.3% of fatal crashes.
  • From 1999-2009, 0.6% of crashes involved a fatality.
So, as we add more and more laws and regulations, are they having any effect?

"using cell phone" is a very broad description in my opinion. People could be using their cell phones for directions, or for playing music, how is this different from using a gps navigation device or a stereo in the car while driving.

I understand the concern, texting while driving is stupid, and people who do that are stupid people. But you cant ban people going on traffic because they are stupid imo, can you?

"using cell phone" is a very broad description in my opinion. People could be using their cell phones for directions, or for playing music, how is this different from using a gps navigation device or a stereo in the car while driving.

I understand the concern, texting while driving is stupid, and people who do that are stupid people. But you cant ban people going on traffic because they are stupid imo, can you?
True. Here is how cell use was defined, "Cell phone use (talking, listening, dialing, texting)".
  • Reaching for navigation devices such as GPS, 2%.
  • Adjusting audio or climate controls, 2%.
Hope this clear it up for you.

Let me start by saying that I drive for a living. While I don't log the hours that many OTR drivers do, nor do I frequent major metro areas, ok, not even minor ones (the biggest "metro" area I frequent has a population of about 125k), I log around 2,000 miles a month. I see alot of really poor driving habits such as: following too close, lack of turn signals, no headlights (even during inclimate weather), speeding, and distracted driving.

Here are a few statistics from the U.S. Census Bureau's web page (most are from 2009, unless noted):

• More than half of people who died, where not wearing a seatbelt according to the CDC.
  • According to propertycasualty360.com 12% of distracted drivers where using their cell phone, while 62% where "daydreaming" (2012 numbers).

Interesting, so a little less then half the people died were wearing a seatbelt...

I always said seat belt laws were bullshit.

what new laws would you propose?
Just about any behavior that could cause an accident is illegal now and people still climb behind the wheel drunk and drive too fast. Laws forbidding texting while driving won't stop people from texting any more than laws requiring seat belts are 100% effective.

Laws are many in kind, for example:
  1. Some define a society's ethical standards, such as the prohibitions on murder, theft, intellectual property laws, etc.
  2. Some exist largely to inspire certain acts. This is the nature of many tax laws.
  3. Others exist to codify a set of guidelines that, if followed, result in the safe and efficient flow of people and processes.
Traffic laws fall into the third category. Laws of that ilk are pointless if a large majority of people don't or won't adhere to them all, or nearly all, the time. So, when it comes to whatever new traffic laws you have in mind, I'd say, their effectiveness depends on which specific new traffic law(s) you mean and whether most people do in fact mostly adhere to them. There's no question in my mind that traffic laws most people don't follow, and that are rarely enforced, are laws that don't "work."

Just about any behavior that could cause an accident is illegal now and people still climb behind the wheel drunk and drive too fast. Laws forbidding texting while driving won't stop people from texting any more than laws requiring seat belts are 100% effective.
I would not support any new laws. I would accually like to see fewer laws, with broader scope. Take for example laws against distracted driving. Do we need a law against texting while driving, in addition to laws forbiding distracted driving? I would say not. What I would suggest is far sronger penalties for violating laws.

Take drunk driving for example, here is what I would propose:
  1. Remove drunk driving laws from the books entirly.
  2. Categorize drunk driving as "Attempeted vehicular homicide" if there are no injuries, or "Assault with a deadly weapon" if there are injuries (of course the attempted would be dropped for fatalities).
  3. If you get caught, and if noone was injured, physically or financially (ie property damage), then you pay a heafty fine. Say $10,000.
  4. Require those convicted, without injuries, to attend drunk driving victims' support groups for a period of time. Say once a month for two years.
  5. Revoke their license for a period of time. Say one year, at which time they can get it back but have to pay to have ignition interlock installed on their vehicle, for 5 years (driving without it would be a violation of probation, punishable by up to a $10,000 fine, and/or180 days in jail).
  6. Mandate attendance at one AA meeting a week for the duration of their probation/parole.
  7. Probation for 5 years, after any jail/prison time, during which they have to submit to random roadside alcohol screenings ( they would be identified by a "special" plate on their vehicle).

How many people would risk it then?

Laws are many in kind, for example:
  1. Some define a society's ethical standards, such as the prohibitions on murder, theft, intellectual property laws, etc.
  2. Some exist largely to inspire certain acts. This is the nature of many tax laws.
  3. Others exist to codify a set of guidelines that, if followed, result in the safe and efficient flow of people and processes.
Traffic laws fall into the third category. Laws of that ilk are pointless if a large majority of people don't or won't adhere to them all, or nearly all, the time. So, when it comes to whatever new traffic laws you have in mind, I'd say, their effectiveness depends on which specific new traffic law(s) you mean and whether most people do in fact mostly adhere to them. There's no question in my mind that traffic laws most people don't follow, and that are rarely enforced, are laws that don't "work."
I would aree that the enforcement of a given law would correlate to it's effectiveness. I would also say that that is the problem with many of our traffic laws, they are not enfored, or are largely unenforcable.

I would not support any new laws. I would accually like to see fewer laws, with broader scope. Take for example laws against distracted driving. Do we need a law against texting while driving, in addition to laws forbiding distracted driving? I would say not. What I would suggest is far sronger penalties for violating laws.

Take drunk driving for example, here is what I would propose:
  1. Remove drunk driving laws from the books entirly.
  2. Categorize drunk driving as "Attempeted vehicular homicide" if there are no injuries, or "Assault with a deadly weapon" if there are injuries (of course the attempted would be dropped for fatalities).
  3. If you get caught, and if noone was injured, physically or financially (ie property damage), then you pay a heafty fine. Say $10,000.
  4. Require those convicted, without injuries, to attend drunk driving victims' support groups for a period of time. Say once a month for two years.
  5. Revoke their license for a period of time. Say one year, at which time they can get it back but have to pay to have ignition interlock installed on their vehicle, for 5 years (driving without it would be a violation of probation, punishable by up to a $10,000 fine, and/or180 days in jail).
  6. Mandate attendance at one AA meeting a week for the duration of their probation/parole.
  7. Probation for 5 years, after any jail/prison time, during which they have to submit to random roadside alcohol screenings ( they would be identified by a "special" plate on their vehicle).

How many people would risk it then?
To be truthful, such a law would have minimal effect. People who drink to excess are incapable of judging their abilities or sobriety.
The drunker they get, the better driver they become in their own mind.
I probably see more drunk drivers than any 5 cops. I have physically taken keys from people ready to do laps with Dale Earnhardt. I have the phone numbers of 5 cab companies. I have personally driven dozens of drunks home that were "perfectly sober" but couldn't give me accurate directions to their homes.

Interesting, so a little less then half the people died were wearing a seatbelt...

I had a wreck 6 years or so ago and the state trooper told me if I was wearing mine, I probably would have died.. Nonetheless, I got a damn seatbelt ticket 3 months ago lol.

I had a wreck 6 years or so ago and the state trooper told me if I was wearing mine, I probably would have died.. Nonetheless, I got a damn seatbelt ticket 3 months ago lol.
I think this is a perfect example for this thread lol

Maybe the trooper was right, maybe he was wrong. As of yet, I have found no statistical evidence that wearing a seatbelt will expose you to greater risk than not wearing one. Don't get me wrong, as an adult, I should have the right to make that decision for myself, for my kid, it's another matter.

How so?

How so?
Oh sorry.. I got a seatbelt ticket then, too.

How so?
Oh sorry.. I got a seatbelt ticket then, too.
Kinda figured that. LOL

Maybe the trooper was right, maybe he was wrong. As of yet, I have found no statistical evidence that wearing a seatbelt will expose you to greater risk than not wearing one. Don't get me wrong, as an adult, I should have the right to make that decision for myself, for my kid, it's another matter.
Years ago I was in a wreck where I was hit in the drivers door. The impact slid me across the seat where I hit and broke the passenger side window with my head. Instead of me, the driver's seat was now occupied by a 1967 Pontiac Bonneville.

How would he know?

If they were serious, they would make everyone wear a five point harness along with a helmet and flame retardant suite...

Its what I am getting at, they just go halfway...

Years ago I was in a wreck where I was hit in the drivers door. The impact slid me across the seat where I hit and broke the passenger side window with my head. Instead of me, the driver's seat was now occupied by a 1967 Pontiac Bonneville.

Need mandatory roll cages in cars also :)

New Topics

Forum List

Back