Ref 71 Domestic Partnership could be approved in Washington

Well, the Declaration of Independence says otherwise-

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.

You can have your opinion but eventually gays will have equal rights like everyone else.

What rights do I have that homosexuals don't?

You get to be happy.

And homosexuals don't get to be happy? Then why do they call themselves "gay"?

In other words you support the idea that a minority can force a majority in a democratic country to do as they want. As I suspected.

Gay marriage is NOT a right. That would be the whole point DEAR.

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.

You can have your opinion but eventually gays will have equal rights like everyone else.

The right to legal, civil marriage.

The right to join the military.

In some states...the right to adopt.

Just a few.

I think gays should be allowed to marry! I also think a majority should not be allowed to deny a minority a right.

They can get married. A gay man can marry a gay woman.

I'm glad you brought this up....it shows that the prohibition to gay marriage is not discrimination based on sexual orientation. It is based on gender. And gender discrimination by the government is illegal.

If that happens then you should see a psychiatrist.

Ah...I thought you were serious about discussing the subject. Sorry about that...I'm sure someone can use reason to defend the anti-gay marriage position, though. This type of throw-away comment just illustrates a lack of careful thought (or any thought, perhaps).

The right to legal, civil marriage.

The right to join the military.

In some states...the right to adopt.

Just a few.

I don't see any of those as "rights".

I think gays should be allowed to marry! I also think a majority should not be allowed to deny a minority a right.

I'm glad you brought this up....it shows that the prohibition to gay marriage is not discrimination based on sexual orientation. It is based on gender. And gender discrimination by the government is illegal.

Apparently homosexual marriage isn't legal in most states. Didn't SCOTUS rule that marriage is a union between a man and a woman?

Ah...I thought you were serious about discussing the subject. Sorry about that...I'm sure someone can use reason to defend the anti-gay marriage position, though. This type of throw-away comment just illustrates a lack of careful thought (or any thought, perhaps).

Oh but I am serious. I believe if you find the same sex attractive enough to want to marry them then something is dreadfully wrong with your mind.

Rights are what we collectively decide they are. Nothing more, nothing less.

Until a few years ago, marriage has never been officially decreed a right, nor was the question even considered.

But since then, the SJC of Massachusetts has decided that it is a right.

The people of California have decided that it isn't a right.

The people of Vermont have decided that same-sex marriage should be legal.

and so on.

I'm in favor of legalizing same-sex marriage, but I'm not sure I agree with characterizing marriage itself as a "right." And I don't enterain the semantics tangent of marriage vs. civil union. Euphamisms don't change the substance of a thing.

Last edited:

Until a few years ago, marriage has never been officially decreed a right, nor was the question even considered.

and so on.

I'm in favor of legalizing same-sex marriage, but I'm not sure I agree with characterizing marriage itself as a "right." And I don't enterain the semantics tangent of marriage vs. civil union. Euphamisms don't change the substance of a thing.

Marriage has been recognized as a right since at least the late 1970s, and that recognition can even be traced back to the late 1960s and the invalidation of miscegenation laws.

and so on.

Marriage has been recognized as a right since at least the late 1970s, and that recognition can even be traced back to the late 1960s and the invalidation of miscegenation laws.

I'm not convinced that it has. Simply legalizing something does not make it a right. Consider drinking, smoking, driving an automobile, etc.. And furthermore, the invalidation of miscegenation laws IMO has more to due with the right to equal treatment under the law than a fundamental right of marriage itself. And that is what makes the same-sex marriage issue tricky. An argument can be made on both sides as to whether a right to equal treatment is violated by same-sex marriage bans.

We don't have rights, none of us do. Rights aren't rights if they can be taken away.

I'm not convinced that it has. Simply legalizing something does not make it a right. Consider drinking, smoking, driving an automobile, etc.. And furthermore, the invalidation of miscegenation laws IMO has more to due with the right to equal treatment under the law than a fundamental right of marriage itself. And that is what makes the same-sex marriage issue tricky. An argument can be made on both sides as to whether a right to equal treatment is violated by same-sex marriage bans.

No, the Supreme Court actually recognized marriage as a "fundamental right" in the 1970s. They specifically said it was one. In the miscegenation case in the late 60s, I believe they called it a "fundamental freedom" and they said the law at issue interfered with the fundamental freedom to marry. I suppose one can argue whether that established it as a right or not, but by the 1970s they were explicit about it.

The right to marry someone of a sex that your biology dictates you are physically attracted to?

Show the gay gene then... we'll be waiting.. a LONG time... so don't feed us that biology crapola... people can choose what they wish to choose... but don't try to hand me shit and call it chocolate cake

I am all for states approving or disallowing civil unions for gays... But it is not an inherent 'right'.... but I am not for gays attempting to use the government to redefine marriage.... if the state wishes to say all legally domiciled family couples are only recognized as civil unions in the eyes of the state and the eyes of the law.. fine... but marriage is what it is.. just as you do not legally get to declare yourself a different species because you wish to be recognized as an antelope and you FEEL that you are one

Apparently homosexual marriage isn't legal in most states. Didn't SCOTUS rule that marriage is a union between a man and a woman?
No....but convince me I'm wrong on that one.

Oh but I am serious. I believe if you find the same sex attractive enough to want to marry them then something is dreadfully wrong with your mind.

Not so much wrong as wanting to live in Texas and LIKE it, I wager.

Forum List

Back