Reds Lorenzen is a freak of a baseball player.

This guy is amazing, he throws 100 MPH as a relief pitcher, tonite he is starting in centerfield and has already done things no player has done since Babe Ruth. I don't know how he can throw so hard he has weightlifter biceps.
Reds' Michael Lorenzen accomplishes feat not seen since Babe Ruth

He's only "doing things nobody has done since Babe Ruth" because of MLB's slavish addiction to the myth that "pitchers can't hit". Ruth himself disproved that 90 years ago, Ichiro did the same in recent years and Ohtani still does it now, not to mention Madison Bumgarner, Zach Greinke et al. So this whole "not since Babe Ruth" claptrap is inflated hype and that hype disproves their own slavish myth, which has already ruined one league with the perversion of the "DH" idiocy.

Lorenzen is a beast at the plate, don't get me wrong. But there is no reason he shouldn't be. There's no reason ANY pitcher shouldn't be. He's lucky to be in the NL where they still play something closer to real baseball. Had he come up in the AL he would have had to sit out most of his career with a wasted bat like Cliff Lee did.

• Banned
This guy is amazing, he throws 100 MPH as a relief pitcher, tonite he is starting in centerfield and has already done things no player has done since Babe Ruth. I don't know how he can throw so hard he has weightlifter biceps.

He's only "doing things nobody has done since Babe Ruth" because of MLB's slavish addiction to the myth that "pitchers can't hit". Ruth himself disproved that 90 years ago, Ichiro did the same in recent years and Ohtani still does it now, not to mention Madison Bumgarner, Zach Greinke et al. So this whole "not since Babe Ruth" claptrap is inflated hype and that hype disproves their own slavish myth, which has already ruined one league with the perversion of the "DH" idiocy.

Lorenzen is a beast at the plate, don't get me wrong. But there is no reason he shouldn't be. There's no reason ANY pitcher shouldn't be. He's lucky to be in the NL where they still play something closer to real baseball. Had he come up in the AL he would have had to sit out most of his career with a wasted bat like Cliff Lee did.
I agree that Major league pitchers could be solid hitters given more ABs and practice. This guy Lorenzen does it, he has an overpowering fastball, homerun power and is good enough to START in centerfield. The only guy close to him as a pitcher/hitter/fielder is Japanese star Ohtani.

I agree that Major league pitchers could be solid hitters given more ABs and practice. This guy Lorenzen does it, he has an overpowering fastball, homerun power and is good enough to START in centerfield. The only guy close to him as a pitcher/hitter/fielder is Japanese star Ohtani.

Again, the idea that Ohtani is the 'only guy close to him' is mythology created out of that compartmentalization that MLB insists on following around like a puppy. Pitchers and outfielders are not different species; they can and do switch around. Actually Lorenzen is a decent pitcher but a standout as such, and a good hitter and all-around athlete but I wouldn't call his pitching 'overpowering' by any stretch. I still say this Ruthian hype is just that, marketing spin to sell the business of baseball by making a mountain out of a molehill -- the reason nobody hit a HR, pitched and played the outfield in 90 years is only because MLB slavishly believes that's bad practice therefore it's not done. They also went 60 years without black players for the same reason. Moving around between the mound and field positions could be done a lot more than it is.

Check out this pitcher throwing two guys out from left field and then making a defensive play of the game. After all they're athletes, not categories.

And just for the record, the guy on the mound was an outfielder in the same game who had homered in a previous inning. He sucks as a pitcher, but he did do it.

Last edited:
  • Banned

Again, the idea that Ohtani is the 'only guy close to him' is mythology created out of that compartmentalization that MLB insists on following around like a puppy. Pitchers and outfielders are not different species; they can and do switch around. Actually Lorenzen is a decent pitcher but a standout as such, and a good hitter and all-around athlete but I wouldn't call his pitching 'overpowering' by any stretch. I still say this Ruthian hype is just that, marketing spin to sell the business of baseball by making a mountain out of a molehill -- the reason nobody hit a HR, pitched and played the outfield in 90 years is only because MLB slavishly believes that's bad practice therefore it's not done. They also went 60 years without black players for the same reason. Moving around between the mound and field positions could be done a lot more than it is.

Check out this pitcher throwing two guys out from left field and then making a defensive play of the game. After all they're athletes, not categories.

And just for the record, the guy on the mound was an outfielder in the same game who had homered in a previous inning. He sucks as a pitcher, but he did do it.

I'm not putting Lorenzen in the HOF. I'm saying he has rare athletic ability, 100 mph arm off the mound, extremely fast base runner, and hits with power.

I'm not putting Lorenzen in the HOF. I'm saying he has rare athletic ability, 100 mph arm off the mound, extremely fast base runner, and hits with power.

Honestly I haven't seen him throw that hard or be any more than averagely-effective on the mound.

Forum List

Back