Redneck-the last racist target

whitehall

Diamond Member
Dec 28, 2010
Western Va.
Nat-Geo formerly known as National Geographic tried a new reality show titled "Rocket City Rednecks". In case you didn't get the joke it seems that smart people who have the engineering skills to develop and launch rockets actually ....get this....talk with a southern accent. That's it. I haven't seen it in a while so I expect it lasted about three shows. The Nashville Network has a show coming up called "Redneck Vacations". A lot of people might assume that the Nashville Network is a hick company but it's pure MTV Hollywood. The gist of the show is to exploit people with Southern accents and pretend they are ignorant of everything that makes America great. Just imagine a dumb Hillbilly renting an exclusive hotel room in NYC. It's a yuk a minute ain't it?

I was unaware that redneck was a race.

Redneck-White Southern male. It's close enough to the pop-culture's image of race to qualify.

If you were walking your 6th grader to school..Because you are in the same grade.....

You could be a redneck!!

I rest my case. Ya see, or maybe you don't see, It's OK to have some fun as long as the targets are still laughing. Put some black greasepaint on and tell some jokes and the humor goes out of the minstrel show. The fine line between humor and ridicule is crossed when the targets are stereotyped. There are no more minstrel shows and as a matter of fact Hollywood cut an important part of the classic Crosby movie "Hollywood Inn" because the Lincoln holiday had a blackface routine. We aren't even talking about a comedy routine in "redneck vacations". It's a serious show designed to reinforce bigoted assumptions of Southern lifestyles that died out a hundred years ago if they existed at all.

Nat-Geo formerly known as National Geographic tried a new reality show titled "Rocket City Rednecks". In case you didn't get the joke it seems that smart people who have the engineering skills to develop and launch rockets actually ....get this....talk with a southern accent. That's it. I haven't seen it in a while so I expect it lasted about three shows. The Nashville Network has a show coming up called "Redneck Vacations". A lot of people might assume that the Nashville Network is a hick company but it's pure MTV Hollywood. The gist of the show is to exploit people with Southern accents and pretend they are ignorant of everything that makes America great. Just imagine a dumb Hillbilly renting an exclusive hotel room in NYC. It's a yuk a minute ain't it?

Ever hear anyone say "I can't wait to retire, so I can move up north."

But they claim we're the stupid ones. :lol:

Redneck-White Southern male. It's close enough to the pop-culture's image of race to qualify.

If you were walking your 6th grader to school..Because you are in the same grade.....

You could be a redneck!!

I rest my case. Ya see, or maybe you don't see, It's OK to have some fun as long as the targets are still laughing. Put some black greasepaint on and tell some jokes and the humor goes out of the minstrel show. The fine line between humor and ridicule is crossed when the targets are stereotyped. There are no more minstrel shows and as a matter of fact Hollywood cut an important part of the classic Crosby movie "Hollywood Inn" because the Lincoln holiday had a blackface routine. We aren't even talking about a comedy routine in "redneck vacations". It's a serious show designed to reinforce bigoted assumptions of Southern lifestyles that died out a hundred years ago if they existed at all.

Hard to have a red neck if you are a person of color.......Just sayin................

You could be a redneck!!

Hard to have a red neck if you are a person of color.......Just sayin................

Are you sayin it's about payback? All those years of being subjugated by the White race is coming around and how does it feel to be the victim? It's a legitimate argument.

Are you sayin it's about payback? All those years of being subjugated by the White race is coming around and how does it feel to be the victim? It's a legitimate argument.

Nope. To me it means comedy. I consider one of my son in laws a redneck. One of the back wood Boys.

Redneck = someone who works outdoors. Now Hillbilly on the other hand. :eusa_whistle:

Actually I think it's cute. City slickers who are willing to live in a sleel/concrete/asphalt hive with their nose shoved in someome else's armpit so that they can spend major portions of their lives standing in line or at a dead stop in rush hour traffic think we rednecks are idiotic? Good. Maybe they'll stay where they belong. If you think a "tie" is a necessary or useful article of clothing, you might be a city slicker.

Given that the first American REDENECKS were alcohol distillers from Pennsylvania?

I'd say that the term doesn't really have all that much to do with the good o' boy of the SOUTH.

Now a lot of good ol Southern boys like to call themselves REDNECKS and that's just fine by me.

Given that the first American REDENECKS were alcohol distillers from Pennsylvania?

I'd say that the term doesn't really have all that much to do with the good o' boy of the SOUTH.

Now a lot of good ol Southern boys like to call themselves REDNECKS and that's just fine by me.

A lot of Blacks use the N word to refer to each other and that's fine with me. When you use it as a term of ridicule you cross the line. Same goes for redneck.

If you spend more time commuting to and from your place of employment then you do actually working there...

You might be an city slicker.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back