Peterbilt unveils perhaps the last traditional long-nosed Class 8 tractor...the Model 589...

Missourian

Diamond Member
Aug 30, 2008
Missouri
With the ever increasing demands of the EPA, the tradition American styled long hooded semi has fallen victim to lowered emissions, raised fuel milage and a reduced sulfur in diesel fuel.

But Peterbilt gave us all maybe the last big classic diesel of the modern era.

Happy to see it!

Does it come in green?

FORT WORTH, Texas – Peterbilt Motors could have made a bigger spectacle of launching its high-end, low-volume Model 589. But it is hard to imagine how.

A Peterbilt-only Pride & Class Truck Show of more than 200 heritage models. Renting out the cavernous Texas Motor Speedway. A Southern rock concert. More than 3,000 attendees from VIPs to employees to fans off the street.

Then came the truck, continuing a tradition of long-hood, squared-grille beasts with 7-inch vertical chrome exhausts and 15-inch-diameter chrome air cleaners that lend to the distinctiveness of the trucker’s truck.

Screenshot_20230510-184427-749.png

Whatever gets the goods from point a to point b efficiently makes the most sense no matter what "color" it is.
If green can do that, so be it but keep in mind efficiency also takes into account the costs

With the ever increasing demands of the EPA, the tradition American styled long hooded semi has fallen victim to lowered emissions, raised fuel milage and a reduced sulfur in diesel fuel.

Happy to see it!

Does it come in green?

FORT WORTH, Texas – Peterbilt Motors could have made a bigger spectacle of launching its high-end, low-volume Model 589. But it is hard to imagine how.

A Peterbilt-only Pride & Class Truck Show of more than 200 heritage models. Renting out the cavernous Texas Motor Speedway. A Southern rock concert. More than 3,000 attendees from VIPs to employees to fans off the street.

Then came the truck, continuing a tradition of long-hood, squared-grille beasts with 7-inch vertical chrome exhausts and 15-inch-diameter chrome air cleaners that lend to the distinctiveness of the trucker’s truck.

View attachment 784304

~~~~~~
It's been a long time since I drove an 18-wheeler, say about 45 years. I don't think I could find the start switch today.

Happy to see it!

Does it come in green?

View attachment 784304

Always loved the look of the long nose Trucks.
I sure would hate to see em go the way of european trucks.

Peterbilt unveils perhaps the last traditional long-nosed Class 8 tractor​

I wonder about that...
  • What if truckers hate EV trucks?
  • What if the technology for EV trucking just doesn't work out and has too many hassles that the demand for regular trucks remain high?
  • What if sales are bad and truckers rebuild old trucks rather than buy new EV ones?
  • What if a lot of truckers get out of trucking over being forced to be limited to EVs and we have a trucking crisis?
There are still many possibilities. Until you see the highways full of EV tractor trailers, nothing is a given yet.

This is sad...

"The manual transmission shifted effortlessly, though only about one in four buyers are expected to choose it over the Eaton-Cummins Endurant automated manual transmission.

I only drove an automatic twice and that was just back to Penske because it was a loaner. They kept pushing us to go automatic for some reason but my employer resisted. Finally they made him an offer on price he couldn't refuse and he started going automatic. Talking with my coworkers they said after you get used to it they are pretty good because they save you a lot of work driving city.

What little I drove one I didn't like it. Maybe because I spent the last couple of decades driving manual. Today if somebody asked me to move an automatic across the parking lot I wouldn't know where to start unless they told me.

I wonder about that...
  • What if truckers hate EV trucks?
  • What if the technology for EV trucking just doesn't work out and has too many hassles that the demand for regular trucks remain high?
  • What if sales are bad and truckers rebuild old trucks rather than buy new EV ones?
  • What if a lot of truckers get out of trucking over being forced to be limited to EVs and we have a trucking crisis?
There are still many possibilities. Until you see the highways full of EV tractor trailers, nothing is a given yet.

A lot of what you're saying actually happened when they forced all that pollution crap on trucks. My employer always bought our trucks but after that crap started, he couldn't afford it and went to leasing. He was so glad with his decision because those things were in the shop once a month. It was always some pollution gadget gone haywire. The trucks come with a warranty but you still have to pay for the loaner while it's tied up unless you lease.

Prior to that if your truck was in the shop once a year outside of maintenance that was a lot. So owner-operators did what you said, and that was keep rebuilding the engine and tranny to make them last as long as possible.

I don't know anything about EV trucks but for the life of me, I can't see it pulling 45,000 lbs up a long steep incline without draining the battery and holding up traffic.

I don't know anything about EV trucks but for the life of me, I can't see it pulling 45,000 lbs up a long steep incline without draining the battery and holding up traffic.

Neither can I. It takes a regular EV car a battery half the weight of the car just to give you limp mode performance always charging and having to limit power consumption but with a commercial truck driver, time is money, and hot or cold, winter or summer, hill or plain, you gotta go. And you have to drive until the tank is empty, refuel and get back on the road. You can't be fooling around not using needed accessories just because its cold out, and you can't be sitting around waiting 1.5 hours to recharge,. much less LOOKING for a place to charge up.

Unless they create a revolution in EV battery charging/replacement technology, I don't see how big rigs or other commercial trucks and buses much less the military can all go electric.

Cant say I'd know anything about that.
Although I do know it's easier to back a long trailer than a short one.

That I wouldn't know about since most of my experience has been with a 53'. I talked to pup drivers that told me it just takes a little getting used to is all.

Forum List

Back