Redistricting Left To The States By The Supreme Court

Now hold on a damn minute! I have been told by liberals on this very forum that gerrymandering was only done by Republicans.

The reality is gerrymandering has been done by both parties since the early 1800’s.
True. It's just much worse in favor of republicans right now.

What are you afraid of a Republican mayor of say Chicago cleans up the place , lowers taxes and attracts business?

And walks on Lake Michigan in his spare time...LOL! Chicago's issues are not amenable to any one political party's solving.

Bullshit and you lying...

Youre just like Pogo, so in your mind a republican mayor of Chicago (have not had one in almost a 100 years) would not do anything different and would still have a different tax on snicker bars then Hersey bars?

And watch it I know the Chicago Democrat machine and read almost every Mike Royko column since 1979 till he died.

Now hold on a damn minute! I have been told by liberals on this very forum that gerrymandering was only done by Republicans.

The reality is gerrymandering has been done by both parties since the early 1800’s.
True. It's just much worse in favor of republicans right now.

What are you afraid of a Republican mayor of say Chicago cleans up the place , lowers taxes and attracts business?

And walks on Lake Michigan in his spare time...LOL! Chicago's issues are not amenable to any one political party's solving.

Bullshit and you lying...

Youre just like Pogo, so in your mind a republican mayor of Chicago (have not had one in almost a 100 years) would not do anything different and would still have a different tax on snicker bars then Hersey bars?

Republican Governors of Illinois are no different than the Dem ones...so why would a republican mayor of Chicago be different?

Correct decision; however, I would like to see a uniform mathematical process that would begin at the geographical center of each state.

And where do you go from there? Do you create a starburst pattern, do you go north, go south? The starting point does matter, but the rest of the pattern matters more.

The starting point makes ALL the difference if it is immutable, like the geographic center of a state. From there, I would suggest a swirl pattern starting at due north, but that isn't as important as establishing a fixed formula that can't be adjusted for changing political considerations.

Correct decision; however, I would like to see a uniform mathematical process that would begin at the geographical center of each state.

And where do you go from there? Do you create a starburst pattern, do you go north, go south? The starting point does matter, but the rest of the pattern matters more.

The starting point makes ALL the difference if it is immutable, like the geographic center of a state. From there, I would suggest a swirl pattern starting at due north, but that isn't as important as establishing a fixed formula that can't be adjusted for changing political considerations.

Great idea, but you obviously have not thought it through very well.

If anything a system should start with figuring out the population center of the State, then the # of districts, and work moving outside of that, using natural barriers (rivers) and man-made ones (major highways) as dividing lines.

If anything a system should start with figuring out the population center of the State, then the # of districts, and work moving outside of that, using natural barriers (rivers) and man-made ones (major highways) as dividing lines.

Why not use the previously established subdivisions like counties/parishes?

Last edited:

Why not use the previously established subdivisions like counties?

The urban/rural density split makes that difficult to do while still maintaining equal population in each district.

It's about time the court realizes every issue is not the federal courts concern. Your thoughts?

The U.S. Supreme Court’s decision Thursday that partisan gerrymandering is “beyond the reach of the federal courts” represents a significant win for Illinois Democrats and a second legal blow for advocates of changing the way the state draws its political boundaries.

U.S. Supreme Court decision that puts partisan gerrymandering ‘beyond reach’ of federal courts a win for Illinois Democrats

States should be drawing boundaries by geography, not party. Period. The people should pick the party, not the other way around.

It's about time the court realizes every issue is not the federal courts concern. Your thoughts?

The U.S. Supreme Court’s decision Thursday that partisan gerrymandering is “beyond the reach of the federal courts” represents a significant win for Illinois Democrats and a second legal blow for advocates of changing the way the state draws its political boundaries.

U.S. Supreme Court decision that puts partisan gerrymandering ‘beyond reach’ of federal courts a win for Illinois Democrats

States should be drawing boundaries by geography, not party. Period. The people should pick the party, not the other way around.

They have to be drawn to spread out the districts by equal (or close to equal) population in each district.

A win for Illinois Dems but a lose for the country. An all around bad decision since the Federal gov't has an interest in keeping Federal elections fair.

I'd prefer a proportional system instead of our winner take all one. If the Dems get 20% of the vote they get 20% of the house seats, 20% of the electoral college votes, etc.

The urban/rural density split makes that difficult to do while still maintaining equal population in each district.

Not if you adhere to an appropriate mathematical formula. Besides, voting by mail is making physical barriers irrelevant.

I'd prefer a proportional system instead of our winner take all one. If the Dems get 20% of the vote they get 20% of the house seats, 20% of the electoral college votes, etc.

That would require a Constitutional Amendment. The Constitution specifies that individual districts elect their own representatives.

Only moved when recalculating districts, and at the federal level that should only happen once every 10 years.

So you like gerrymandering, as long as it is done only once every 10 years?

Districts are going to be redrawn. People are going to try to take advantage of this for their own interests.

Gerrymandering to me is extreme cases, where the districts resemble multiple blobs connected by thin corridors and things like that.

I don't think one can take the politics out of redistricting, the best you can do is establish algorithmic parameters that prevent the worst shenanigans.

Districts are based on population, with the goal being to make them as equal as possible. Thus center of population is always the best starting point.

Geography, both natural and man made should be the next decider.

Not if you adhere to an appropriate mathematical formula. Besides, voting by mail is making physical barriers irrelevant.

I have other issues with voting by mail. as well as early voting. Sorry, but unless you have a valid reason, show up on election day.

What mathematical formula? Who makes the formula? You move the manipulation from people to computers.

I have other issues with voting by mail. as well as early voting. Sorry, but unless you have a valid reason, show up on election day.

What mathematical formula? Who makes the formula? You move the manipulation from people to computers.
As long as you vote, why does it matter?

Why make it difficult when you don’t have to?

Forum List

Back