Redistricting Left To The States By The Supreme Court

While the decision seems correct to me, the feds have no power in elections whatsoever, I am not sure how much I like the idea that gerrymandering is being given a free hand. The state legislators are certainly not going to check their own power. I doubt the local courts are going to do it either.

Now hold on a damn minute! I have been told by liberals on this very forum that gerrymandering was only done by Republicans.

The reality is gerrymandering has been done by both parties since the early 1800’s.
Neither party should be allowed to do it

Shameful decision by the court
5-4 to disenfranchise voters for political advantage

While the decision seems correct to me, the feds have no power in elections whatsoever, I am not sure how much I like the idea that gerrymandering is being given a free hand. The state legislators are certainly not going to check their own power. I doubt the local courts are going to do it either.

The justices agree with you...and each other. They all agree that partisan gerrymandering is fucked up, they just disagree about whether or not THEY should do something about it.

The justices agree with you...and each other. They all agree that partisan gerrymandering is fucked up, they just disagree about whether or not THEY should do something about it.
I know and it is hard to argue that they do in our current system.

It's about time the court realizes every issue is not the federal courts concern. Your thoughts?

The U.S. Supreme Court’s decision Thursday that partisan gerrymandering is “beyond the reach of the federal courts” represents a significant win for Illinois Democrats and a second legal blow for advocates of changing the way the state draws its political boundaries.

U.S. Supreme Court decision that puts partisan gerrymandering ‘beyond reach’ of federal courts a win for Illinois Democrats

Key words there: Federal courts. Which means the ruling can be interpreted to be taken up by the state courts, as well as the state legislatures.

Aren't the State legislatures doing the redistricting to begin with? State courts are bound by State laws, wouldn't that apply to redistricting as well?

yes, but does that gerrymandering pass muster with those states Constitutions? I'll wager there will be a lot of lawyers looking at their states Constitutions, and to their surprise, find out that they don't. Just like the Republican legislature in Kansas just found out through their state Supreme Court, that a woman has the right to an abortion. A ruling I'm sure many are still smarting from.

Guess it might depend on the State.

Oh the commies on the court had no doubt, but then they never do. It's always partisan with them.

It is literally impossible to square Chief Justice John Roberts’ 2011 ruling protecting the “free speech” rights of billionaires with Thursday’s gerrymandering case.

John Roberts Thinks Billionaires Deserve Greater First Amendment Protections Than Voters

I think billionaires are voters, they have the same rights as everyone else. But that has nothing to do with redistricting.

Not to mention redistricting has nothing to do with the first amendment either.

It is literally impossible to square Chief Justice John Roberts’ 2011 ruling protecting the “free speech” rights of billionaires with Thursday’s gerrymandering case.

John Roberts Thinks Billionaires Deserve Greater First Amendment Protections Than Voters

I think billionaires are voters, they have the same rights as everyone else. But that has nothing to do with redistricting.

Not to mention redistricting has nothing to do with the first amendment either.

Yep.

Now hold on a damn minute! I have been told by liberals on this very forum that gerrymandering was only done by Republicans.

The reality is gerrymandering has been done by both parties since the early 1800’s.
True. It's just much worse in favor of republicans right now.

What are you afraid of a Republican mayor of say Chicago cleans up the place , lowers taxes and attracts business?

Correct it wasn't until Karl Rove pretty much saved the Republican party by totally winning the gerrymandering game..that the Dems had issues.

Yup, winning. You going to say same stuff when the worm turns?
Not really going to care..except academically. If, however, the Dems ever got the upper hand..in the gerrymandering game..it would be very bad indeed for the Repubs..given the current demographics. Gerrymandering really just levels the playing field..albeit artificially---a true "fair" redistricting..would be very hard indeed..on the right.

So you acknowledge that republicans are the old white legacy party with nothing to offer to younger people who aren’t buying the whiteness lie.

Not a long term plan.
I said none of that. In fact, i did not mention 'whiteness' at all. What an odd post.

Last edited:

True. It's just much worse in favor of republicans right now.

What are you afraid of a Republican mayor of say Chicago cleans up the place , lowers taxes and attracts business?

And walks on Lake Michigan in his spare time...LOL! Chicago's issues are not amenable to any one political party's solving.

It's about time the court realizes every issue is not the federal courts concern. Your thoughts?

The U.S. Supreme Court’s decision Thursday that partisan gerrymandering is “beyond the reach of the federal courts” represents a significant win for Illinois Democrats and a second legal blow for advocates of changing the way the state draws its political boundaries.

U.S. Supreme Court decision that puts partisan gerrymandering ‘beyond reach’ of federal courts a win for Illinois Democrats

I couldn't agree more. Its a State issue. Not a Fed issue.

Forum List

Back