Red Cross Bans Christmas

It turns out that these people have stumbled across an article that appeared in the Daily Mail in 2002 and now forms part of the paper’s online archive. Unfortunately, the article isn’t dated on the Mail’s site, which had led some people to believe this was a current news story – although references in it to Sangatte, the Calais refugee camp that closed in 2002, do serve to date it. We denied the gist of the piece strongly at the time.

:lol: Thanks Ravi.

Christmas has been banned by the Red Cross from its 430 fund-raising shops.

Staff have been ordered to take down decorations and to remove any other signs of the Christian festival because they could offend Moslems.

The charity's politically-correct move triggered an avalanche of criticism and mockery last night - from Christians and Moslems.

Christine Banks, a volunteer at a Red Cross shop in New Romney, Kent, said: 'We put up a nativity scene in the window and were told to take it out. It seems we can't have anything that means Christmas. We're allowed to have some tinsel but that's it.

'When we send cards they have to say season's greetings or best wishes. They must not be linked directly to Christmas.

'When we asked we were told it is because we must not upset Moslems.'

Mrs Banks added: ' We have been instructed that we can't say anything about Christmas and we certainly can't have a Christmas tree.

' I think the policy is offensive to Moslems as well as to us. No reasonable person can object to Christians celebrating Christmas. But we are not supposed to show any sign of Christianity at all.'

Labour peer Lord Ahmed, one of the country's most prominent Moslem politicians, said: 'It is stupid to think Moslems would be offended.

Read more: The Red Cross bans Christmas | Mail Online

It's a good thing this isn't the American Red Cross. They rely on donations from those offensive pro-Christmas people.

You would think they would celebrate the general feeling of the holiday... charity and a giving spirit/heart. Good thinking on their part.... to tear down the volunteers moral too. Not very bright to make your environment unpleasant for the people who help out free of charge.

AND ..Your opinion is that the Red Cross does not endeavor to do "the right thing"? I was going to call you a lying twat but I will not because this should be a civil discussion. If you would prefer to have it otherwise I can accomodate.

Link please.

The 'right thing' is not to act like a bunch of hypocrites. Civilized enough for ya?

You are calling the Red Cross hypocrits? You are daft. They are not choosing sides. They are neutral. That means no religion gets special treatment. Why is that so hard to grasp?

They sell Christmas cards and use the holiday to raise funds. Hypocrites.

Looks like the Red Cross is forward thinking and looks as I do towards a future where people give out of the goodness in thier hearts and according to need as it should be with no alterior motive. Good on them.

This from the man that wanted to lock all Christians in the churches and burn them alive.

Christmas has been banned by the Red Cross from its 430 fund-raising shops.

Staff have been ordered to take down decorations and to remove any other signs of the Christian festival because they could offend Moslems.

The charity's politically-correct move triggered an avalanche of criticism and mockery last night - from Christians and Moslems.

Christine Banks, a volunteer at a Red Cross shop in New Romney, Kent, said: 'We put up a nativity scene in the window and were told to take it out. It seems we can't have anything that means Christmas. We're allowed to have some tinsel but that's it.

'When we send cards they have to say season's greetings or best wishes. They must not be linked directly to Christmas.

'When we asked we were told it is because we must not upset Moslems.'

Mrs Banks added: ' We have been instructed that we can't say anything about Christmas and we certainly can't have a Christmas tree.

' I think the policy is offensive to Moslems as well as to us. No reasonable person can object to Christians celebrating Christmas. But we are not supposed to show any sign of Christianity at all.'

Labour peer Lord Ahmed, one of the country's most prominent Moslem politicians, said: 'It is stupid to think Moslems would be offended.

Read more: The Red Cross bans Christmas | Mail Online

It's a good thing this isn't the American Red Cross. They rely on donations from those offensive pro-Christmas people.

You would think they would celebrate the general feeling of the holiday... charity and a giving spirit/heart. Good thinking on their part.... to tear down the volunteers moral too. Not very bright to make your environment unpleasant for the people who help out free of charge.

They DO celebrate the general feeling of the holiday and they denied the claims linked to this OLD story from 2002.

"The Red Cross has denied it has tried to "ban Christmas" from its charity shops."

Last edited:
That's a good point.
It's called the Red Cross; not the Red Crucifix :doubt:

It is a red crucifix.

It was founded by a Swiss national, who, for the logo of his organization, inverted the colours of the Swiss national flag, which is a cross of Christianity.
:eusa_eh:

According to Wikipedia:

The Red Cross emblem was officially approved in Geneva in 1863.[7]
The Red Cross flag is not to be confused with the St George's Cross which is on the flag of England, Barcelona, Freiburg, and several other places. In order to avoid this confusion the protected symbol is sometimes referred to as the "Greek Red Cross"; that term is also used in United States law to describe the Red Cross. The red cross of the St George cross extends to the edge of the flag, whereas the red cross on the Red Cross flag does not.
The Red Cross flag is often confused with the Flag of Switzerland which is the opposite of it. In 1906, to put an end to the argument of Turkey that the flag took its roots from Christianity, it was decided to promote officially the idea that the Red Cross flag had been formed by reversing the federal colours of Switzerland, although no clear evidence of this origin had ever been found.[8]

In the Islamic world, they use the Red Crescent. And you think that's a coincidence?
Not at all. The Turks also thought the Red Cross was a religious symbol and decided to instead go with the Red Crescent.

I don't know the origins of the symbolism behind the red crescent. Is it a religious symbol or a cultural symbol?

I've never been a big Red Cross fan and this does even less to endear them to me... While in the military I seen the Red Cross do some pretty crappy stuff but yet have their hands stuck out for donations at ever opportunity. Fuck 'em.

I've never been a big Red Cross fan and this does even less to endear them to me... While in the military I seen the Red Cross do some pretty crappy stuff but yet have their hands stuck out for donations at ever opportunity. Fuck 'em.

I've heard WWII vets say they had to pay for every cup of coffee and every pack of cigarettes or anything else they got from the Red Cross. "Donated by the American Red Cross" printed on everything? Right. Red Cross doesn't donate anything. They always have their hands out for funds and though they get millions upon millions of funds they never have any funds. What's up with that?

Speaking of doing crappy stuff to military personnel - Red Cross refused to give emergency funding to my son so he could get home for his grandmother's funeral. His CO went through the roof and personally arranged for my son to get an emergency loan. Those few days of delay had my son somewhere over the middle of the Atlantic Ocean when his grandmother was laid to rest. He never had the chance to say his good-byes with the rest of the family.

I've heard WWII vets say they had to pay for every cup of coffee and every pack of cigarettes or anything else they got from the Red Cross. "Donated by the American Red Cross" printed on everything? Right. Red Cross doesn't donate anything. They always have their hands out for funds and though they get millions upon millions of funds they never have any funds. What's up with that?

Speaking of doing crappy stuff to military personnel - Red Cross refused to give emergency funding to my son so he could get home for his grandmother's funeral. His CO went through the roof and personally arranged for my son to get an emergency loan. Those few days of delay had my son somewhere over the middle of the Atlantic Ocean when his grandmother was laid to rest. He never had the chance to say his good-byes with the rest of the family.

I lost my respect for the Red Cross when I found out about the coffee and donuts that people here donated money to provide for our soldiers overseas, but they had to pay for it there. Did you know that when you donate blood to them, they charge hospitals more than $100 a pint for that same blood?

Granted these figures are old, but when Bob Dole's wife was the head of the Red Cross, she made more than the president of the USA plus expenses. They go into a disaster area, collect funds, and then leave. Meanwhile the head of the Salvation Army lived on less than $60,000 a year and had to pay his own living expenses. They stay in the area and help the people even after the Red Cross does their grandstanding and leaves.

Forum List

Back