CDZ Recruiters Keep Asking Me to Falsify My Resume

JimBowie1958

Old Fogey
Sep 25, 2011
I have been out of work for 4 years now, and looking for a job since Jan 2016. I am getting some activity now and I want to get a job soon, but one thing that is distressing to me is how frequently recruiters (aka "head hunters") want me to add fictitious experience to my resume.

It is distressing to me because I am extremely uncomfortable with lying as an Aspie, and I dont want to build an employee relationship based on falsehoods.

Is this level of lying common now for recruiters?

Sounds similar to what bank loan packagers were doing when they put together customers loan apps before the crash.

I have been out of work for 4 years now, and looking for a job since Jan 2016. I am getting some activity now and I want to get a job soon, but one thing that is distressing to me is how frequently recruiters (aka "head hunters") want me to add fictitious experience to my resume.

It is distressing to me because I am extremely uncomfortable with lying as an Aspie, and I dont want to build an employee relationship based on falsehoods.

There is a stigma attached to being unemployed for so long. It's a dumb thing but it's out there.

Maybe some day, like 40 years ago they will go back to just hiring warm bodies...I need one of those jobs....

There is a stigma attached to being unemployed for so long. It's a dumb thing but it's out there.
It's that damn science they created called human resources.

It's that damn science they created called human resources.

I preferred when they called it Personnel, it was more personal (zing!).

Human resources makes people sound like office supplies.

Just say no. All too often, lying will catch up with you, it doesn't matter whether you are an Aspie or not. By the time you get busted the recruiter has moved on.

I went back to work in July for myself, should have seen all the paperwork I had to fill out....I hate applying at companies, it's rather ridiculous all the runs in the maze you have to navigate..

All too often, lying will catch up with you, it doesn't matter whether you are an Aspie or not. By the time you get busted the recruiter has moved on.
Yes, you never know when a character assassin will become the one in charge of records..

All too often, lying will catch up with you, it doesn't matter whether you are an Aspie or not. By the time you get busted the recruiter has moved on.
Yes, you never know when a character assassin will become the one in charge of records..
Telling lies is stupid. And dishonest. And eventually you will get caught. There is no good gain to be had from being dishonest.

Telling lies is stupid. And dishonest. And eventually you will get caught. There is no good gain to be had from being dishonest.
Sometimes telling the truth will break their heart...

/----/ I worked as a rep for Fortune 50 companies and help recruit, interview, hire and train sales reps. Once we were interviewing a promising candidate and started questioningher background. She blushed and admitted her headhunter insisted she pad her resume with some fake jobs and promotions. She handed us her accurate resume and said she is sorry she listened to him. We ended up hiring her and firing the headhunter. When I worked for a telecom they required tax returns going back 10 years to prove where candidates worked. Head of HR told me 75% of the candidates never followed up. So don't pad your resume especially with social media.

Sometimes telling the truth will break their heart...
This isn't complicated. Don't lie and you will never have to deal with the problem of trying to remember what you said.

I know a couple of recruiters, I would have a hard time believing that they'd want someone to lie on their resumes. Those lies can be found out with a competent HR department.
A few years ago, I was just about ready to make an applicant an offer to work in my department. Fortunately, before I had contacted the applicant, the HR dept. contacted me a said they found falsehoods are talking to previous employers.
A good recruiter can enhance your resume, by rewording your resume, often it's just using simple catch-words or phrase, That doesn't include just the resume, but also the highly important cover letter.
My advise, get a new recruiter who will work with your resume or use a resume writing service or go to your unemployment office, they have people who can help you redo your resume/cover letter and it's free.
Good luck.

I've been talking to a number of head hunters over the past year and none have ever suggested I pad my resume, skills, knowledge, etc. Maybe I have a great resume? I always make clear to prospective employers exactly what I can and can't do since neither of us want me in a position to fail. It's worked for me, I'm in my 3rd job in less than a year (my choice).

Forum List

Back