Record-Shattering February Warmth Bakes Alaska, Arctic 18°F Above Normal

Cd2KbQnXEAA7vIi.jpg

Follow
350 dot org ‎@350

.@NOAA "ran out of colors to communicate the freak warmth" in parts of Russia and Arctic: http://on.mash.to/1nUPLwv

1:12 PM - 18 Mar 2016

I would have liked to have seen polar data on that graphic. I bet that would have been dramatic.

You think those data look bimodal? Please explain where you see that. 1940 and 2003? You realize that if you cut any dataset to the proper size, you can see any number of modes you want. Don't you think that's what you're seeing here?

FCT, will you vote Trump over Hillary?

Do you know what bimodal even means? Both the crappy bar chart from Squiddly and my more data-intensive graph show a clear STEP - UP in temperature of about 0.5degC circa 1980. No obvious trend line due to "correlation with CO2".. At least none outside of obvious statistical bounds. Step functions rarely occur in long-term Natural processes outside of earthquakes and other violent events.

Has nothing to do with the "size" in this case.. Because the period I showed is the only RELIABLE period with the accuracy and time resolution to make sweeping generalizations about means and variances for such a huge barren state.. What happened about 1979? Well, we got Space coverage of the Arctic and Northern Alaska for one thing. The other was a MASSIVE shift in the number of reporting stations up there with a preference for duplicating a lot of the populated areas. Draw your own PANICKED conclusions.,.

If you got to ask which re-tred power whore I might vote for -- you don';t know me very well... In fact, I'm on my way over to the state Libertarian convention tomorrow to make sure that America gets a qualified and VALID alternative on the ballot in Nov for all 50 states.. Go stalk me over in Politics and you'd know that..,..

Im laughing.............
......"because I am a clueless retard", says the Kook.

The public has been hearing these alarmist screams for 30 years now. And....

.....and, now....

Two-Thirds of Americans Want U.S. to Join Climate Change Pact
The New York Times
By GIOVANNI RUSSONELLO
NOV. 30, 2015

What is weird is most Americans appear to want to vote for people that don't believe in global warming. Strange.

Because most are smarter than you alarmists and have figured out its a fraud..

And...back in the real world of the extreme changes happening in Alaska....from less than a year ago.....

A stunning five million acres have now burned in Alaskan wildfires this year
The Washington Post
By Chris Mooney
August 10, 2015
(excerpts)
Last month, wildfire watchers were astounded as terrifying wildfires raged across the state of Alaska. Sometimes the records would come in with 300,000 or more new acres burned in a single day. It seemed inevitable that the 2015 wildfire season would quickly catch up with and then surpass the all-time record year, 2004, when 6,590,140 acres burned.

But then the weather shifted. Rains moved in, and satellite analysts downsized their size estimates of some fires. Instead of racing forward, the fire acreage numbers slowed or even stopped their increase. Only recently have they started to tick back up again.

Nonetheless, according to the latest report Tuesday from the Alaska Interagency Coordination Center, Alaska fires have now consumed 5,098,829.9 acres in 2015. That’s about five-sixths of the total acreage consumed by wildfires anywhere in America this year —currently, 6,224,545 acres. It’s also enough to put the 2015 Alaska wildfire season ahead of what was previously the second-place year — 1957, with 5,049,661 acres burned, according to the Alaska Division of Forestry.

[Alaska’s terrifying wildfire season and what it says about climate change]

But don’t forget why this matters. Wildfires burn up Alaskan spruce forests, the spongy organic “duff” layer at their base, and sometimes expose the carbon-rich permafrost beneath that layer to potential thaw. All three factors release carbon into the air in the short term and could, conceivably, work together to make climate change itself worse.

Moreover, don’t forget that at least one other part of the global north where wildfires sometimes burn atop permafrost — namely, Canada — is also having a busy 2015 wildfire year. Canada has seen nearly 10 million acres burned, double the area in Alaska.

Flac is displaying his Engineer's Arrogance Syndrome big time here. That's where an engineer assumes his own specialty perfectly explains every single thing in the universe. Flac knows electronics systems behavior, so he assumes climate has to behave that way too. And since it doesn't, hilarity ensues.

Let me see.. Joe Romm was the article author.. That's why its so full of bullshit and snageltooth ate it hook line and sinker..

There must have been two hooks on that sucker line...

You think those data look bimodal? Please explain where you see that. 1940 and 2003? You realize that if you cut any dataset to the proper size, you can see any number of modes you want. Don't you think that's what you're seeing here?

FCT, will you vote Trump over Hillary?

Do you know what bimodal even means? Both the crappy bar chart from Squiddly and my more data-intensive graph show a clear STEP - UP in temperature of about 0.5degC circa 1980. No obvious trend line due to "correlation with CO2".. At least none outside of obvious statistical bounds. Step functions rarely occur in long-term Natural processes outside of earthquakes and other violent events.

Has nothing to do with the "size" in this case.. Because the period I showed is the only RELIABLE period with the accuracy and time resolution to make sweeping generalizations about means and variances for such a huge barren state.. What happened about 1979? Well, we got Space coverage of the Arctic and Northern Alaska for one thing. The other was a MASSIVE shift in the number of reporting stations up there with a preference for duplicating a lot of the populated areas. Draw your own PANICKED conclusions.,.

If you got to ask which re-tred power whore I might vote for -- you don';t know me very well... In fact, I'm on my way over to the state Libertarian convention tomorrow to make sure that America gets a qualified and VALID alternative on the ballot in Nov for all 50 states.. Go stalk me over in Politics and you'd know that..,..

I do know what bimodal means. A single step in the data trend is not a clear indication of multimodality and if the only point you're trying to make is that the two trends aren't perfectly aligned... well-l-l-l-l, I tell you, after the post after post after post you made arguing that there was no need for a linear relationship between TSI and temperature, to see you argue against AGW because temperature and CO2 ON THIS SCALE do not perfectly match is pretty entertaining to see.

Forum List

Back