Record sales for electric cars

Chevy Volt's sales double in 2012 !!! *

* Sales doubled from 2 to 4 units, government purchases included, some restrictions apply, does not include tax, tags or destination charges, see dealer for details.

Last edited:
Considering the present state of climate pseudoscience, any thinking person should wonder if those sales figures have been tampered with to the degree of climate data to give the illusion that many are being sold. I know that I haven't seen more on the road than normal and I still don't know a single person who owns a hybrid.

I suspect you don't know many people or very much, for that matter. Here in Oregon, the Prius is rapidly becoming one of the most common of cars on the road.

Chevy Volt's sales double in 2012 !!! *

* Sales doubled from 2 to 4 units, government purchases included, some restrictions apply, does not include tax, tags or destination charges, see dealer for details.

Chevy Volt Production Line Restarts a Week Early | Hybrid Cars

General Motors' Detroit-Hamtramck plant is back to producing Chevy Volts and Opel/Vauxhall Amperas a week earlier than scheduled due to encouraging March Volt sales of 2,289 units.

GM had shut down the plug-in hybrid's assembly line for an initially scheduled period of five weeks to help curtail excess supply, but says it is now optimistic demand is picking up.

Last month's all time high exceeded the previous peak of 1,529 units in December, and GM CEO Dan Akerson has been quoted saying he’d like to see 2,000-3,000 per month, but we’ve heard others at GM say they’d not be surprised if April is weaker month than last.

The Ford hybrid Fusion had not a single sale for two months in the whole country.

I'd believe any statistic about the Prius. Ever third car I see on the road is a Prius. Sometimes when I'm in traffic on the freeway, I see dozens, one right after the other.

The Ford hybrid Fusion had not a single sale for two months in the whole country.

I'd believe any statistic about the Prius. Ever third car I see on the road is a Prius. Sometimes when I'm in traffic on the freeway, I see dozens, one right after the other.

and most are driven by people that think they are better then everyone else..

While I doubt that, they certainly have more money in their pocket on leaving the gas station than you do.:badgrin:

IDK...........every Sunday Am by me, 100's of cars show up at the Captree Boat Basin near Fire Island. Starts at 7AM and lot finally empties around noon. Corvettes, Mustangs, Challengers, Chargers, Porche's..........muscle cars, tuners, exotics..........still have not seen one single Prius down there.:dunno:

BMW makes an electric car?

Look.........obviously, there is a % of the public that will buy a Prius or other hybrid for 3 reasons..............

1) The snooty liberal types who buy so they can show the rest of the world that they care more about the environment than you do.

2) The hopelessly duped types who can bury their guilt buy owning a Prius.

3) The political activist types who would be forced to blow their own brains out if they were seen in a 'Vette.

It sort of mirrors the political spectrum. Dollar to a stale donut that at least 95% of Prius owners are card carrying members of some k00k liberal organization.

Nobody buys a Prius because they go into the showroom and say, "W0W......that is one sharp car!!!"

:blowup:

While I doubt that, they certainly have more money in their pocket on leaving the gas station than you do.:badgrin:

True, but not for many many years! In the case of the volt, 27 years.

Look.........obviously, there is a % of the public that will buy a Prius or other hybrid for 3 reasons..............

1) The snooty liberal types who buy so they can show the rest of the world that they care more about the environment than you do.

3) The political activist types who would be forced to blow their own brains out if they were seen in a 'Vette.

It sort of mirrors the political spectrum. Dollar to a stale donut that at least 95% of Prius owners are card carrying members of some k00k liberal organization.

Nobody buys a Prius because they go into the showroom and say, "W0W......that is one sharp car!!!"

There are six brand new Prius cars on my floor alone in the last week. The owners are all convinced that they are saving money at the gas pump until they consider the car payments they are paying every month. Then they blanche a bit. They didn't think about that part.

The European diesels and conversion to amply available lng make far better economic and environmental sense than these silly, coal fired electrics. But hey, whatever makes you feel good.

Once again, at the end of their service life, what happens to them?

he US Department of Energy has granted $9.5 million to a company in California that plans to build America's first recycling facility for lithium-ion vehicle batteries.

Anaheim-based Toxco says it will use the funds to expand an existing facility in Lancaster, OH, that already recycles the lead-acid and nickel-metal hydride batteries used in today's hybrid-electric vehicles.

Lithium Battery Recycling Gets a Boost - Technology Review

Toyota and Honda place decals with a toll-free number on their hybrid battery packs. Toyota offers a $200 bounty to ensure that every battery comes back to the company. In a press release, Toyota states, "Every part of the battery, from the precious metals to the plastic, plates, steel case and the wiring, is recycled." Honda collects the battery and transfers it to a preferred recycler to follow their prescribed process: disassembling and sorting the materials; shredding the plastic material; recovering and processing the metal; and neutralizing the alkaline material before sending it to a landfill.

The disposal of these is a young industry and not only extends to the EV world and the the Hybrid car world but also to many aspects of todays life. Several of the things we take for granted are powered by these lithium ion batteries from cell phones, to laptop computers. While of course the industry to dispose of these types of batteries is not as mature as the lead acid type it is coming online with each passing day. The one thing I cannot seem to understand here is the selective dislike for a single technology that would benefit this nation in terms of domestic energy usage and domestic economy if they were produced here. Sadly the best selling if these types of cars is not made here, but adds to the number of imports we bring in here. So even if someone happens to disagree with the current political climate it doesn't help much when we single out American built technology because we think its associated with them. Just a thought on this one, if the number of these types of technologies increases and they are built here, then those that build them are not forced to buy them but on the other hand, we all benefit in terms of jobs, and a healthy economy and not having to bend out knee's to some Middle Eastern Kingdom.

On a side note, I cannot see why this nation is not also developing lng as means to power its transportation. It would seem with the recent boom in NG especailly domestic NG that to do so would also accomplish the same thing as I mentioned above. Point is, both technologies have a place.

Americans are buying record numbers of hybrid and electric cars as gas prices climb and new models arrive in showrooms, giving the vehicles their greatest share yet of the U.S. auto market.

Consumers bought a record 52,000 gas-electric hybrids and all-electric cars in March, up from 34,000 during the same month last year.

The two categories combined made up 3.64 percent of total U.S. sales, their highest monthly market share ever, according to Ward's AutoInfoBank.

And while their share of the market remains small, it's a big leap from the start of the year, when hybrids andelectrics made up 2.38 percent of new car sales.

Electric cars, hybrids see record sales - CSMonitor.com

Bet you love the high gas prices?

You own a Volt... its going to take ya @ 30 years for it to pay off.

GE buying up Volts didnt hurt stats either :eusa_clap:

GE to order 'tens of thousands' of electronic cars - Oct. 29, 2010

30 years? Is it a mortgage? :lol:

Your article is from 2010, before the Volt was released.

Bet you love the high gas prices?

You own a Volt... its going to take ya @ 30 years for it to pay off.

GE buying up Volts didnt hurt stats either :eusa_clap:

GE to order 'tens of thousands' of electronic cars - Oct. 29, 2010

A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.

Driving fuel efficient cars is good for America.

Why do you hate America?

It begins with a single step... because so few can afford gas. :lol:

Rich liberals buying cars they don't want might work for a few months... maybe help Obama fake the figures for November.... but that's hardly gonna help the country or the planet.
A small post from a small mind.

All new innovations have early adopters. VHS, CD, DVD - all those players were hundreds of dollars when they first arrived on shelves. I bought a Yamaha 4x External SCSI CD writer for at least $200 when it first came out (actually, maybe $350 - I forget). Now you can buy a 40x writer for under $20.

I am grateful to the celebrities and other people with a lot of disposable income who buy these, helping the next generation of electrics and hybrids cost less and achieve more.

No kidding. It looks like a skateboard on steroids. Like to see what happens when they get hit by a pickup truck. I drive a 98 Buick LeSabre with 80,000 miles on it now. I think I am going to spend the money to get it really spiffed up: new tires, new brakes all around, new shocks, have the engine totally gone over, and detailed. Rather than make car payments. Not that I don't LIKE small cars, drove a VW bug in high school and then we had an Opel Cadet, my GOD that was dinky, didn't last either. My small car of choice is either the MINI Cooper or the new VW Bug. Maybe a Subaru or Audi. we'll see.

A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.

Driving fuel efficient cars is good for America.

Why do you hate America?

Rich liberals buying cars they don't want might work for a few months... maybe help Obama fake the figures for November.... but that's hardly gonna help the country or the planet.

All new innovations have early adopters. VHS, CD, DVD - all those players were hundreds of dollars when they first arrived on shelves. I bought a Yamaha 4x External SCSI CD writer for at least $200 when it first came out (actually, maybe $350 - I forget). Now you can buy a 40x writer for under $20.

I am grateful to the celebrities and other people with a lot of disposable income who buy these, helping the next generation of electrics and hybrids cost less and achieve more.

You are grateful to the "celebrities" with "disposable income" but they are the only people with "disposable income" you like. You don't lilke the disposable income of any other nasty rich people, do you? I don't give a rat's rear end WHAT some damn celebrity buys -- if I don't LIKE it, I am not buying it. I don't give a flying fig if the damn electric cars are GIVEN AWAY, I wouldn't have it. You can have mine in that case. Wash one, wear one.

You are grateful to the "celebrities" with "disposable income" but they are the only people with "disposable income" you like. You don't lilke the disposable income of any other nasty rich people, do you? I don't give a rat's rear end WHAT some damn celebrity buys -- if I don't LIKE it, I am not buying it. I don't give a flying fig if the damn electric cars are GIVEN AWAY, I wouldn't have it. You can have mine in that case. Wash one, wear one.
You are USMB's latest retard! :lol:

You are USMB's latest retard! :lol:

Thank you! Coming from you, that is a compliment! what, did I strike a nerve? I'm right about you, and you can't stand it. Can't you guys ever just say "I don't agree with that" rather than call names. Of course you can't.

The Prius is one of the most dependable cars ever built. That alone is worth extra money. And they are not that much more expensive than other cars in their class. Certainly less expensive than a muscle car.

Forum List

Back