Record sales for electric cars

Chris

Gold Member
May 30, 2008
Americans are buying record numbers of hybrid and electric cars as gas prices climb and new models arrive in showrooms, giving the vehicles their greatest share yet of the U.S. auto market.

Consumers bought a record 52,000 gas-electric hybrids and all-electric cars in March, up from 34,000 during the same month last year.

The two categories combined made up 3.64 percent of total U.S. sales, their highest monthly market share ever, according to Ward's AutoInfoBank.

And while their share of the market remains small, it's a big leap from the start of the year, when hybrids andelectrics made up 2.38 percent of new car sales.

Electric cars, hybrids see record sales - CSMonitor.com

Americans are buying record numbers of hybrid and electric cars as gas prices climb and new models arrive in showrooms, giving the vehicles their greatest share yet of the U.S. auto market.

Consumers bought a record 52,000 gas-electric hybrids and all-electric cars in March, up from 34,000 during the same month last year.

The two categories combined made up 3.64 percent of total U.S. sales, their highest monthly market share ever, according to Ward's AutoInfoBank.

And while their share of the market remains small, it's a big leap from the start of the year, when hybrids andelectrics made up 2.38 percent of new car sales.

Bet you love the high gas prices?

You own a Volt... its going to take ya @ 30 years for it to pay off.

GE buying up Volts didnt hurt stats either :eusa_clap:

http://money.cnn.com/2010/10/29/autos/GE_electric_car/index.htm

Last edited:
Un Huh.

Study Says Hybrid Owners Probably Won't Be Back For Another Car - The Consumerist

Hybrid cars have earned some admirers, but it turns out once customers buy an electric-gas model, they're unlikely to come back for another one when it's time to purchase a new car, according to a new study.

As gas prices go higher, so do sales of hybrid vehicles. But a recent study by automative research company R.L. Polk says that almost two-thirds of hybrid owners won't stay on the gas-electric path when they need a new car.

Only 35% of hybrid owners returned at trade-in time in 2011, with the most loyal customers belonging to the Toyota Prius, says CBS News. If you take that car from the equation, the repurchase rate is below 25%.

Most Hybrid Owners Won

The Thrill Is Gone — Hybrids have been a tough sell to new-car buyers, but now it seems they’re also not that popular with hybrid owners. About two-thirds of hybrid owners didn’t pick another hybrid when they bought a new car last year. The exception is Toyota Prius owners, 41 percent of whom bought another Prius, or a hybrid from another manufacturer.

GE to order 'tens of thousands' of electronic cars - Oct. 29, 2010

A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.

Driving fuel efficient cars is good for America.

Why do you hate America?

Why do you hate America?

You dimwit... THOUSANDS of Americans are NOT buying electrics... its a lie from the left.
I proved it, so STFU.

Why do you hate America?

Partly because America is turning into a liberal pus-bag.

A German car nicknamed "heavy drinker" or “boozer” has set a new record for electric vehicle stamina: 1,013 miles on a single charge. The single-seat vehicle’s aerodynamic shape, with the motors integrated into the wheel hubs, helped the car accomplish this feat.
"Boozer" the Electric Car Smashes Distance Record, Driving 1,000 Miles on a Single Charge | Popular Science

Okay the name is funny I admit, and the speed is a little on the slow side, however with any technology thats starting out like this it takes time for it to mature and as it matures so to does its capability. When the American Auto industry first started out there were hundreds of companies making cars for sale in this nation and as time went by, some closed, some merged and eventually we are where we are today. So to the same principle can be applied to any technology, the cell phone, the PC, etc, I am sure those of you old enough to remember can recall the first PC and if the same thought process were applied to the first PC or cell phone , "its too expensive, it's too big, it underperforming" so let's not develop it. Then none of us would be here talking to one another today. Of course EV's and Hybrids are not everyones cup of tea, thats fine, but frankly, I don't see the issue with simply being positive about a technology that could mean good things for this nation in terms of its future jobs, domestic energy production, and technology leadership.

As for the energy needed to power these EV's, again the same principle applies, rather than disagree over what technology you like or don't like be it gas, oil, nuclear, coal, solar, wind, etc. based on a political view, perhaps the best way to think about this is to look at it as this nations future in the long term. If we fail to develop ALL our own resources , no matter what they are , and spend our time fighting over these technologies because we don't happen to like who's in power at the moment then we accept the fact that this nation has begun its long slide to 3rd world status. I for one happen to think we are better than that, and no matter what the technology develop it here, build it here, and most of all use it here!!

Why do you hate America?

It begins with a single step... because so few can afford gas. :lol:

Rich liberals buying cars they don't want might work for a few months... maybe help Obama fake the figures for November.... but that's hardly gonna help the country or the planet.

Solar, the most reasonable generation for a home owner, continues to come down in price. Toyota and others are working right now on batteries that offer 2 to 5 times as much range at a far less price than the present batteries. When these are brought to the manufacturing stage, the whole equation on EV's will change. In the meantime, there are existing EV's that have been well tested and found to be ideal vehicles.

All Electric Toyota RAV4 EV with NiMH Batteries

We figured that if the RAV4-EV performed as expected, we’d be able to use it for about half of our daily driving. We were pleased to get a real-world range of about 100 miles, give or take a little depending on driving conditions. Leaving a healthy buffer to avoid taking the battery charge down too low, and to allow for using the headlights, heater or air conditioning, up to five adult passengers, and driving up hill on the freeway, we could rely on 70 miles under nearly all circumstances and up to 100 miles in good conditions. We soon realized it had become our primary car. The RAV4-EV hit the perfect spot: enough cargo and passenger space for our most demanding errands with better energy efficiency even than the gas-sipping Insight. The only time we were driving a gas-burner was when we had to be in different places at the same time.

We now have just under 60,000 miles on the RAV4-EV and we’re getting slightly better range than when we first got it, easily over 100 miles of range in good driving conditions. Even though RAV4-EV uses a wacky charger that’s too cumbersome for us to haul around and there are no compatible
charging stations within our driving radius, we’ve never ran out of charge. Even only being able to charge in our garage, we’re able to do nearly all of our driving in this now 8-year-old EV.

The only time we’ve taken our RAV4-EV in for service was to replace the 12V accessory battery. Other than that, we’ve had no service issues beyond filling the wiper fluid and replacing tires. Other owners have driven their original battery pack over 100,000 miles, up to 150,000 miles. Based on our
experience so far, we expect this car to remain healthy and reliable for many years to come.

With about 800 RAV4-EVs on the road for over 8 years, no battery chemistry has been so thoroughly validated as these NiMH batteries. For this technology to be bought up and buried by the oil industry is a travesty of the patent laws that were created to encourage innovation, not stifle it.

And that's exactly where it all started...

flint.jpg

Mr Naive blows his face off again!!!!:coffee:

Hybrids Failing Miserably In Attracting Repeat Buyers With Two Thirds Refusing To Buy Another

Excluding owners of the best-selling Toyota Prius, the repurchase rate among other hybrid buyers dropped to 22 percent, according to a Polk study released today.

According to the study, the loyalty rate for hybrids since the beginning of 2008 has ranged between 26.4 percent in the second quarter of 2010 and 41.8 percent in the second quarter of 2009. The rate for the fourth quarter of 2011 was 40.1 percent while the total for 2011 was 35.0 percent

Hybrids Failing Miserably In Attracting Repeat Buyers With Two Thirds Refusing To Buy Another - AutoSpies Auto News

BOOBS-2.jpg

Yo.........Mr Naive............those are called "boobs".

Last edited:
Quick, what's the fastest-selling car in America?

The answer is the Toyota Prius C hybrid car, according to Edmunds.com's analysis of March sales and inventory numbers. The Prius C, the newest, smallest and least expensive member of the Toyota Prius hybrid family, barely has time to get its tires dirty because the Prius C, with a starting price of about $19,000, stays on the dealership lot only about eight days until a buyer drives it away. By comparison, the average vehicle across the U.S. industry sat on a dealership's lot an average of 53 days in March, according to Edmunds.com's metric referred to as days-to-turn -- the number of days between a vehicle being delivered to a dealership to it being purchased by a customer. The list of Top 20 fastest-selling vehicles had no higher than a 21 days-to-turn rate.
Quick, What's the Fastest-Selling Car in America? - Edmunds.com

Here's the thing there is an obvious market for EV's and Hybrids out there as can be seen by the over 3 Million of them on the road worldwide. Nations like Japan, and others that have little or no domestic oil industry to support a fleet of petroleum based vehicles that have a lower overall fleet average , this costing the nation a lot more in domestic dollars are turning to these types of technologies to offset that. My point is I could care less of Hybrid buyers don't return to buy another one or 55% of them don't , I would rather imagine when the the Firestone issue was a problem with the Ford Explorer not to many people were rushing to Ford to trade in their old Explorer for a new one. That aside, it's important for our nation to realize that be it hybrid, EV, high mileage gas, diesel, etc. we need to develop these types of technologies here on a domestic basis if only to compete in this century on a global basis in terms of American Jobs, and American built Technology. Sadly the days of the 10 mpg Hummer are slowly fading and becoming more a toy and not a practical means by which this nation transports its people. I am always a little surprised by those who would be critical of American built technology or advocate for its demise at the expense of the same technology being built overseas and watching those jobs and R&D being sent overseas because they don't happen to believe in who's sitting in the White House at the moment. I could care less about what political party holds the White House, when it comes to this, people need to stand up and realize that the more we promote technology "HERE" the sooner our nation will stand on its feet once again and be able to tell these blackmailers overseas that we get a vast majority of our energy from now to have a nice day! we dont need you anymore.

Last edited:
Considering the present state of climate pseudoscience, any thinking person should wonder if those sales figures have been tampered with to the degree of climate data to give the illusion that many are being sold. I know that I haven't seen more on the road than normal and I still don't know a single person who owns a hybrid.

Last edited:
Considering the present state of climate pseudoscience, any thinking person should wonder if those sales figures have been tampered with to the degree of climate data to give the illusion that many are being sold. I know that I haven't seen more on the road than normal and I still don't know a single person who owns a hybrid.

My daughter has one wire, and can tell there are some days based on how much I spend on gas I wouldn't mind folding my old self into it. *laughs*. I don't much look at these EV's etc as a climate type of thing more so as I do a way to help rid ourselves of foreign energy sources and creating domestic jobs.

Forum List

Back