Reagan Speaks Thru Obama?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Sinatra, Feb 24, 2009.

1. Sinatra

Sinatra Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,005
    Numerous reports indicating that the Obama administration, fearing the persistent doom n gloom message of its first month, is now hoping to take a page from the Reagan playbook tonight and attempt to minimize the growing (and self-fulfilling) economic negativity that currently plagues both Wall Street and Main Street.

What this shows is that one, Obama is nervous. He must turn the sentiment of Americans to a more positive outlook, for while the President's personal approval rating remains high - though historically similar to many first-month presidents, his dissaproval rating is also growing at an increasing rate. Sooner rather than later, if the economic outlook does not visibly improve, the negativity toward the economy will turn against Obama himself.

Two, Reagan remains the definitive example for the modern American politician, 20 years after that great man left office. When a politician of today is described as "Reaganesque", that is a sign of something both successful, and uniquely American. No other past president of the last 40 years has that distinction.

Gibbs hints at 'Reaganesque' speech : News : WEYI NBC25

[​IMG]
    ...and ALWAYS full business attire in this oval office!

2. Terry

Terry Shut the $%$ Up!

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,091
    Obama isn't worthy to be Reagan's butler!

3. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    They've been tone deaf, until today:

Stocks up on Bernanke remarks; focus now on Obama - Yahoo! Finance

Something Geithner has not done...

4. DiveCon

DiveCon gone

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,387
    yeah, trash the economy for 2 years and all of a sudden they are going to tell the truth?
    :lol:
    man, this is too much

5. Terry

Terry Shut the $%$ Up!

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,091
    Annie, tonight it will be "Just words" he will take snippets from Reagan and other past speeches and claim it as his. He is nothing but a LIAR

6. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    Agreed. I'm expecting a 'Hallelujah' around the corner! We'll see, I think his desire to make many dependent on the state, will come out. I hope I'm wrong, but the month of 'change' has cemented the persistence of the message...

7. Terry

Terry Shut the $%$ Up!

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,091
    I hear you but I cannot watch it. I'm watching HBO "Taking Chance" tonight at 8pm. Its suppose to be really good movie.

8. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    I read and posted about this way back when. Lowdown:

BLACKFIVE: Taking Chance Home

The post made me cry for nearly an hour and made me buy the book.

9. AllieBaba

AllieBaba BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,650
    Reagan didn't succeed because he downplayed the negative. He was an incredible speaker because he never called the AMerican people cowards, he never blatantly lied (there are no earmarks, good grief), he continually bolstered the confidence of the American people and never stopped reminding us that we live in the greatest nation in the world, bar none, and because of that we have certain unique responsibilities to the rest of the world and ourselves.

And he was a die hard conservative. He didn't pussy foot around issues, he didn't lie to cover his real agenda because he didn't need to. He knew if he just barged right out there with it, the people would be behind him, and they were...and still are.

Obama can recite Reaganisms all he wants. It won't do any good because it's what, 100 days into the presidency or so and he's already proven he's a compulsive liar. He was a compulsive liar before, too, but the left was so busy telling everyone that he didn't lie, he just meant something different.

Well he's a liar, and now everyone knows it. He can stare off as nobly he wants into the distance and soft soap whatever he says but ultimately, he's going to say whatever he has to and then he's going to do whatever he wants, even if the two are polar opposites.

10. Dr Grump

Dr Grump Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,229
    Raygun doesn't deserve to be said in the same sentence as Obama..