Raven Symone Says She’s ‘american’ Not ‘african-american’

Anyone can be prideful of the color of their skin. No law against it.
I agree, but the moment a white person say's they're proud to be white, their labeled a racist, a KKK member, etc.
Thats probably because the 2 usually wind up being true. What have whites done that has anything to do with the color of their skin that is something to be proud of?

Black people have achieved in spite of being oppressed colonized etc. What have whites overcome? You can say you are proud to be Irish or Jewish etc but white? Not unless you want someone to laugh at you or call you a racist.
So it's not racist to say you're proud to be black, but if a white person says it, well their most likely a racist. Got it.
You are pretty quick. Whites didn't over come anything. Black people did.
When are you going to "overcome" what's going on, on the African continent right now ?
Once again it's going to take the white man to bail your ass out with this Ebola threat.
Why do you want to know? With or without the white man Black people have existed. We existed prior to your arrival. We will exist after you have been bred out. We taught you how to read and write, and we brought you back to civilization after the Black plaque decimated Europe. If you as a genetic mistake can survive disease, what do you think natures selection in the Black man can do?

Last edited:
Everyone is an "American"

Some are Wealthy-Americans
Some are Conservative-Americans
Some are Texan-American
Some are Southern-American
Some are Christian-American

Just because you are "American" doesn't mean you can't affiliate with other groups

What I love most is the reaction of people to her comments.

If a White Woman of Irish Ancestry said that she doesn't see herself as an "Irish-American" because she never lived in Ireland, but simply sees herself as an American, there wouldn't be a single eyebrow raised.

However, when a woman who every one sees as being Black who says basically the same thing, all hell breaks loose.

Evidently there is a problem among some with a Black person who doesn't succumb to the "Black Collective".
obamaborg.jpg

If a White Woman of Irish Ancestry said that she doesn't see herself as an "Irish-American" because she never lived in Ireland, but simply sees herself as an American, there wouldn't be a single eyebrow raised.

However, when a woman who every one sees as being Black who says basically the same thing, all hell breaks loose.

Evidently there is a problem among some with a Black person who doesn't succumb to the "Black Collective".

If a white woman of Irish Ancestry does not embrace the Irish culture, she does not need to declare herself "Irish-American"

However, if she, and her family have always embraced their Irish roots and culture......there is nothing wrong with calling herself an Irish-American

Doesn't make her any less an American

If a white woman of Irish Ancestry does not embrace the Irish culture, she does not need to declare herself "Irish-American"

However, if she, and her family have always embraced their Irish roots and culture......there is nothing wrong with calling herself an Irish-American

There is no question about that. You've posted a strawman.

The question is, Why is the Black Community, you could see the shock in Oprah's face, when Raven said what she said, react with such hatred that a person has decided that she wasn't going to allow her skin color or ancestry define her?

The question is, Why is the Black Community, you could see the shock in Oprah's face, when Raven said what she said, react with such hatred that a person has decided that she wasn't going to allow her skin color or ancestry define her?
Shock is not hatred but nice try.

You have no concept of what a strawman is...but I will address your question anyway

The difference between what Raven said and that hypothetical woman of Irish ancestry is that the Irish woman can go about her life without anyone knowing what her ancestry is. She can fit into the mainstream of American life without question

A black person is always black and has been historically denied access to mainstream America. Oprah understands the struggles that African-Americans have gone through in our society and still go through
Simones "I am just an American" reflects more on the upper class upbringing and access she has received in life than the experience most blacks face in this country. The experiences of a Cosby kid do not carry over to most "African-Americans" who still want to maintain their cultural identification

Last edited:
Raven also said this.

“I never said I wasn’t black… I want to make that very clear. I said, I am not African-American."

She simply chooses not to use the word African in her label because she doesnt know much about that part of her heritage.

I like her. She just doesn't see the need to be labeled according to race or orientation. Of course, lefties won't like that since they put us all in groups.

I liked her statement that she's just a human being who love other human beings.

I love this new thing of abandoning labels while embracing other labels as the new cool.

"I dont like labels so label me American."
"I like girls and I'm a girl...which is a silly label but dont label me a lezbian"
"I have dark skin but thats just a crazy societal label....Yanno, Skin...dark....What is skin anyway?"

Except Oprah didnt flip. She warned Raven that some people would be upset.
Why would she do that( Oprah)...
Becuawse we live in aworkd with a bunch of useless hypersensitive douche bags who go through their day searching for things with which to bother themselves.
And for every 100 or so of these assholes is some POS media type who has no ideas for a story, so they resort to "breaking news "(Fill in name of group) offended by comments!!!!!!!!"
Useless piles of organic material. Every one of them.
Because she knows that Black people are very particular about identifying themselves. It will be seen as a refutation of her being a Black person even though anyone that has watched the girl knows she is definitely pro Black.
And why are "black people very particular about identifying themselves"?.....It's pretty easy to tell. I mean, it's stating the obvious.
BTW Ms Samone never stated she did not acknowledge her race. She plainly and clearly stated she did not wish to label herself as "African"..Because she's not. She IS an American. Born in Louisiana.

The same with Jews, Italians, Irish etc. Its who you are. No one ever applauds anyone for abandoning their heritage especially members of the abandoned group.

Ooooooor this is just strickly about black people only.

Why is this in Politics again? Oh yeah, black people threads stick around here for some reason

myself.....you put American first.....she is an American who happens to be of Irish decent.....but first and foremost....you are an American.....

myself.....you put American first.....she is an American who happens to be of Irish decent.....but first and foremost....you are an American.....

Funny thing is that no one shits on the Irish person for embracing or even calling themselves Irish American. Its only blacks that are expected to drop it or its taken as being Offensive to people who arent even in that fucking group.

Who isn't?

EVERYONE is an American

Doesn't mean you cant affiliate with another group....Elderly-American, Wealthy-American, Asshole-American

Why would anyone call themselves "African-American" or "Gay-American"?
Why not just "American"?

Both blacks and gays have spent most of their existence being told they are lesser Americans. They didn't have the same rights, couldn't associate in public. By emphasizing the American in their name, they are reminding everyone that ...Yes, I am American!

Now why would Conservatives be outraged by someone calling themselves African-American or Gay-American. They are not outraged by someone calling themselves black or gay. But add "American" to the title and it sets them into a frenzy

Why would anyone call themselves "African-American" or "Gay-American"?
Why not just "American"?

Both blacks and gays have spent most of their existence being told they are lesser Americans. They didn't have the same rights, couldn't associate in public. By emphasizing the American in their name, they are reminding everyone that ...Yes, I am American!

Now why would Conservatives be outraged by someone calling themselves African-American or Gay-American. They are not outraged by someone calling themselves black or gay. But add "American" to the title and it sets them into a frenzy
If you embrace your heritage or sexual id it upsets some people when you combine it with american.

You have no concept of what a strawman is...but I will address your question anyway

The difference between what Raven said and that hypothetical woman of Irish ancestry is that the Irish woman can go about her life without anyone knowing what her ancestry is. She can fit into the mainstream of American life without question

A black person is always black and has been historically denied access to mainstream America. Oprah understands the struggles that African-Americans have gone through in our society and still go through
Simones "I am just an American" reflects more on the upper class upbringing and access she has received in life than the experience most blacks face in this country. The experiences of a Cosby kid do not carry over to most "African-Americans" who still want to maintain their cultural identification

"The experiences of a Cosby kid do not carry over to most "African-Americans" who still want to maintain their cultural identification"

Thank you for identifying the problem. People who don't want to be seen as every other American but claim perpetual victimhood simply because of the color of their skin.

They want to blame the problems of the past on "The White Man". They want to believe their history as Black slaves started once they reached the shores of the Americas... They don't want to accept the fact that those people were slaves long before they reached these shores.. Slaves held by other Black Africans .

Cultural Identity??

Is that speaking "Hood" instead of "talking White"??

Cultural Identity??

Is that skipping school and hanging on the street corners selling drugs or using drugs and not getting good grades or studying to get an education to get out of that neighborhood??

Cultural Identity???

Is that playing the victim instead of doing for yourself?

Forum List

Back