Raven Symone Says She’s ‘american’ Not ‘african-american’

Yeah dude, remember they can be prideful about the color of their skin, but you can't. :biggrin:
Anyone can be prideful of the color of their skin. No law against it.
I agree, but the moment a white person say's they're proud to be white, their labeled a racist, a KKK member, etc.
Thats probably because the 2 usually wind up being true. What have whites done that has anything to do with the color of their skin that is something to be proud of?

Black people have achieved in spite of being oppressed colonized etc. What have whites overcome? You can say you are proud to be Irish or Jewish etc but white? Not unless you want someone to laugh at you or call you a racist.
So it's not racist to say you're proud to be black, but if a white person says it, well their most likely a racist. Got it.
You are pretty quick. Whites didn't over come anything. Black people did.

Why would she do that( Oprah)...
Becuawse we live in aworkd with a bunch of useless hypersensitive douche bags who go through their day searching for things with which to bother themselves.
And for every 100 or so of these assholes is some POS media type who has no ideas for a story, so they resort to "breaking news "(Fill in name of group) offended by comments!!!!!!!!"
Useless piles of organic material. Every one of them.
Because she knows that Black people are very particular about identifying themselves. It will be seen as a refutation of her being a Black person even though anyone that has watched the girl knows she is definitely pro Black.
And why are "black people very particular about identifying themselves"?.....It's pretty easy to tell. I mean, it's stating the obvious.
BTW Ms Samone never stated she did not acknowledge her race. She plainly and clearly stated she did not wish to label herself as "African"..Because she's not. She IS an American. Born in Louisiana.

Because they want to be.

Because it gives them a collective identity.

Because it instills pride.

Because the moon rises and the sun sets.

I know she didnt hide from her race. What are you upset about?
A collective identity? Oh please. That implies black people are not individuals but are a collective group. That's nonsense. I think you may be living in a different era. The "community" thing is what drags people down.
You just got through stating that you've achieved a certain amount of success. THAT is what I refer to. This idea that a person can do whatever they wish to the best of their ability but somehow must relate to their "collective" is nonsense. Trust me. the group is not worried about you. They are concerned with your not leaving the collective.
Pride is instilled by one's individual achievements. Not by their demographic.
You really don't have a reason other than your programming has you believing you have some kind of obligation to your so called collective identity.
That's all. Have a good evening.

Collective is a group of individuals fool. My success is not tied to my group. Just my identity. I never said anyone had to do anything. I said I choose to. I have plenty of pride in the achievements of other Black/African Americans so you are flat out wrong about that. Your group may not applaud your success but mine does. I have a million reasons to offer. You claiming I dont is an exercise in futility and frustration because you dont have it like me.
Just a minute. Did you or did you not state that labeling one's self as "African" or Black American is a recognition of a "collective identity"?
Would you like me to quote your earlier post? Or was that not you, just someone hitch hiking on your username?
How is your success tied to your identity? How is this possible? Are you implying that but for your race, you would be unsuccessful? That being black got you to where you are today?
I never stated nor implied you had no pride in yourself. Where you got that from is a mystery.
I do not believe in "pride". Not in the context of what it means to you.
Pride to me is a derivative of praise. Which one receives from peers or parents as a recognition for deeds well done. Or accomplishments.
Pride is best swallowed. Pride makes one boastful and repulsive. In my world, beating one's chest every time they do something as simple as waking up in the morning to go to work or run their business, is a trait I believe to be in poor form.
Be proud. Yes. Do it quietly. Those who go through life letting their actions do the talking are successful in many ways.
It is they who when seen by others get the comments such as "there goes an accomplished person.".

I agree, but the moment a white person say's they're proud to be white, their labeled a racist, a KKK member, etc.
Thats probably because the 2 usually wind up being true. What have whites done that has anything to do with the color of their skin that is something to be proud of?

Black people have achieved in spite of being oppressed colonized etc. What have whites overcome? You can say you are proud to be Irish or Jewish etc but white? Not unless you want someone to laugh at you or call you a racist.
"That's probably because the 2 usually wind up being true.".
Ahh. You evoke a racist double standard. It's ok for black people to have a "collective identity", but others may not. Are those your rules? Or are those the rules of your collective identity?
"What have whites done that has anything to do with the color of their skin that is something to be proud of?"
The question is invalid. We are not programmed to think that way. We are individuals. We do not make our way through life then start crowing about how skin tone has anything to do with it. That kind of identity issue is your cross to bear.
We do not think that anything we achieve is due to "whiteness'....Do you believe your achievements are due to your "blackness"?
And while we're on the subject of identity, when and how does one not qualify as being "not black enough"....?
That one always intrigued me.

Why do white people always pull the double standard argument out their ass? It has nothing to do with being ok. The facts are you can say you have pride in being white but you cant point to a single hardship you endured and overcame due to the color of your skin. Can you name even one thing worthy of being proud of as a white person that doesnt involve racism?
I'm proud my race has given the world pretty much all of the worlds modern technology. I don't want to brag about my race though.
But they didnt. Your race would still be in caves if not taught by Blacks and other cultures. Next false assumption?
That's pretty funny. I'll just let history do my talking. Goodnight.

Ahh. You evoke a racist double standard. It's ok for black people to have a "collective identity", but others may not. Are those your rules? Or are those the rules of your collective identity?
"What have whites done that has anything to do with the color of their skin that is something to be proud of?"
The question is invalid. We are not programmed to think that way. We are individuals. We do not make our way through life then start crowing about how skin tone has anything to do with it. That kind of identity issue is your cross to bear.
We do not think that anything we achieve is due to "whiteness'....Do you believe your achievements are due to your "blackness"?
And while we're on the subject of identity, when and how does one not qualify as being "not black enough"....?

Why do white people always pull the double standard argument out their ass? It has nothing to do with being ok. The facts are you can say you have pride in being white but you cant point to a single hardship you endured and overcame due to the color of your skin. Can you name even one thing worthy of being proud of as a white person that doesnt involve racism?
I'm proud my race has given the world pretty much all of the worlds modern technology. I don't want to brag about my race though.
But they didnt. Your race would still be in caves if not taught by Blacks and other cultures. Next false assumption?
Are you TRYING to start a racial fight here? With stupid racist comments like that, you're well on your way to the old ignore list.
I refuse to suckered into a gutter brawl with a small minded bigot such as yourself.
You keep carrying that anger, it will eat you up inside.

Yeah dude, remember they can be prideful about the color of their skin, but you can't. :biggrin:

So it's not racist to say you're proud to be black, but if a white person says it, well their most likely a racist. Got it.
HUH?

Because she knows that Black people are very particular about identifying themselves. It will be seen as a refutation of her being a Black person even though anyone that has watched the girl knows she is definitely pro Black.
And why are "black people very particular about identifying themselves"?.....It's pretty easy to tell. I mean, it's stating the obvious.
BTW Ms Samone never stated she did not acknowledge her race. She plainly and clearly stated she did not wish to label herself as "African"..Because she's not. She IS an American. Born in Louisiana.

Because they want to be.

Because it gives them a collective identity.

Because it instills pride.

Because the moon rises and the sun sets.

I know she didnt hide from her race. What are you upset about?
A collective identity? Oh please. That implies black people are not individuals but are a collective group. That's nonsense. I think you may be living in a different era. The "community" thing is what drags people down.
You just got through stating that you've achieved a certain amount of success. THAT is what I refer to. This idea that a person can do whatever they wish to the best of their ability but somehow must relate to their "collective" is nonsense. Trust me. the group is not worried about you. They are concerned with your not leaving the collective.
Pride is instilled by one's individual achievements. Not by their demographic.
You really don't have a reason other than your programming has you believing you have some kind of obligation to your so called collective identity.
That's all. Have a good evening.

Collective is a group of individuals fool. My success is not tied to my group. Just my identity. I never said anyone had to do anything. I said I choose to. I have plenty of pride in the achievements of other Black/African Americans so you are flat out wrong about that. Your group may not applaud your success but mine does. I have a million reasons to offer. You claiming I dont is an exercise in futility and frustration because you dont have it like me.
Just a minute. Did you or did you not state that labeling one's self as "African" or Black American is a recognition of a "collective identity"?
Would you like me to quote your earlier post? Or was that not you, just someone hitch hiking on your username?
How is your success tied to your identity? How is this possible? Are you implying that but for your race, you would be unsuccessful? That being black got you to where you are today?
I never stated nor implied you had no pride in yourself. Where you got that from is a mystery.
I do not believe in "pride". Not in the context of what it means to you.
Pride to me is a derivative of praise. Which one receives from peers or parents as a recognition for deeds well done. Or accomplishments.
Pride is best swallowed. Pride makes one boastful and repulsive. In my world, beating one's chest every time they do something as simple as waking up in the morning to go to work or run their business, is a trait I believe to be in poor form.
Be proud. Yes. Do it quietly. Those who go through life letting their actions do the talking are successful in many ways.
It is they who when seen by others get the comments such as "there goes an accomplished person.".

Yes i did state that. You sound dumbfounded. LOL!

Being born a Black man made me what I am today. Without my unique experiences all predicated on being Black I would not have developed all the skills necessary to navigate this world in the manner I did.

You have an ass backwards view of pride. Pride is not boastful. Its a deep satisfaction in the achievements of yourself and others that may share similar traits and backgrounds. You can shout it from the mountain tops or you can be quietly introspective about it. People that take this as boasting are pretty much insecure in themselves.

Pride

a feeling or deep pleasure or satisfaction derived from one's own achievements, the achievements of those with whom one is closely associated, or from qualities or possessions that are widely admired.

Are you TRYING to start a racial fight here? With stupid racist comments like that, you're well on your way to the old ignore list.
I refuse to suckered into a gutter brawl with a small minded bigot such as yourself.
I wasnt talking to you. Did you get your feelings hurt or something? I noticed you didnt correct DigitalDrifter but you got upset at me,

"Why do white people always pull the double standard argument out their ass? It has nothing to do with being ok. The facts are you can say you have pride in being white but you cant point to a single hardship you endured and overcame due to the color of your skin. Can you name even one thing worthy of being proud of as a white person that doesnt involve racism?"
This is perhaps the most ignorant thing to ever be posted on this board by a person who claims to be an achiever.
It is a double standard because members of politically correct protected classes are permitted by their enablers to say and do anything they please, Insult impugn, accuse and nothing is ever said about it. If for example Al Sharpton were white or of another other racial or cultural group and said those same words, he'd be a memory.
When then Chicago Cubs manager Dusty Baker made a comment about white ballplayers not being able to perform in the summer heat as well as black or latino players had been white, he'd also be a memory.
So please, do not test everyone's patience here with such nonsense statements.
Hardship? What are we talking about here? Don't start this shit about white privilege. I'm not going to listen to it because it is pure horseshit. It is an excuse made by those who refuse to do anything to help themselves so they play the victim card.
Hardship....Don't even fucking go there.
Yeah yeah yeah. I know you are referring to history. Let me awaken you. Neither you nor I had a thing to do with what happened three generations ago. So stop using that as a crutch and a reason for you to hate.
You disgust me. A person who acknowledges his own successes yet chooses to wallow in the mud hole of racism and victimhood. You are truly a collectivist.
You are afraid of your own achievements, aren't you? You fear that if you don't kowtow to your sense of collective identity you'll be excommunicated from the "cause"....
Yeah...Seen this before. Tragic....

I wasnt talking to you. Did you get your feelings hurt or something? I noticed you didnt correct DigitalDrifter but you got upset at me,
it's not my place to correct another poster to whom I was not responding.
Feelings? I have none. I am cold, calculating, cynical and logical.
I wasn't talking to you doesn't cut it on a public message board. If you put it out there, don't go thinking there won't be unsolicited feedback.

Lol !!! Just watched the Rev Al on MSLSD, he played the video, and asked the three person panel he had on to discuss this unbelievably incredible thing that Simone said. One black woman called the comments "irresponsible".

All's you can do is laugh and try to tune it out, or you'll simply go nuts. Personally I gave up trying. We have such a divided and fucked up country now, that frankly I am quickly losing the ability to care any more.
My suggestion to anyone who wishes to listen, is to start making plans to get out of this country. It's not going to end well.

"Why do white people always pull the double standard argument out their ass? It has nothing to do with being ok. The facts are you can say you have pride in being white but you cant point to a single hardship you endured and overcame due to the color of your skin. Can you name even one thing worthy of being proud of as a white person that doesnt involve racism?"
This is perhaps the most ignorant thing to ever be posted on this board by a person who claims to be an achiever.
It is a double standard because members of politically correct protected classes are permitted by their enablers to say and do anything they please, Insult impugn, accuse and nothing is ever said about it. If for example Al Sharpton were white or of another other racial or cultural group and said those same words, he'd be a memory.
When then Chicago Cubs manager Dusty Baker made a comment about white ballplayers not being able to perform in the summer heat as well as black or latino players had been white, he'd also be a memory.
So please, do not test everyone's patience here with such nonsense statements.
Hardship? What are we talking about here? Don't start this shit about white privilege. I'm not going to listen to it because it is pure horseshit. It is an excuse made by those who refuse to do anything to help themselves so they play the victim card.
Hardship....Don't even fucking go there.
Yeah yeah yeah. I know you are referring to history. Let me awaken you. Neither you nor I had a thing to do with what happened three generations ago. So stop using that as a crutch and a reason for you to hate.
You disgust me. A person who acknowledges his own successes yet chooses to wallow in the mud hole of racism and victimhood. You are truly a collectivist.
You are afraid of your own achievements, aren't you? You fear that if you don't kowtow to your sense of collective identity you'll be excommunicated from the "cause"....
Yeah...Seen this before. Tragic....
You just indulged in a whine fest which I wont get into with you about.

Hardship is not just restricted to history even though clowns like you like to pretend it has nothing to do with the present. Of course you dont want to hear about white privileged because it kills your faux outrage.

People like you are pathetic. You whine about not be able to be racist and upset because Black people could care less what you think. You dont like the way I think? Too bad. There is absolutely nothing you can do about. Add that to your list of frustrations you grind your teeth over at night while you sleep.

it's not my place to correct another poster to whom I was not responding.
Feelings? I have none. I am cold, calculating, cynical and logical.
I wasn't talking to you doesn't cut it on a public message board. If you put it out there, don't go thinking there won't be unsolicited feedback.
No one believes that. You got upset about what I said to a racist. Thats why you typed in all caps.

When are you going to "overcome" what's going on, on the African continent right now ?
Once again it's going to take the white man to bail your ass out with this Ebola threat.

She's tired of labels but labels herself?

It's genius!~

Forum List

Back