Raptors, Celtics discussing boycotting NBA playoff game in aftermath of Jacob Blake shooting in Wisconsin

shockedcanadian

Diamond Member
Aug 6, 2012
If they are going to risk their pay for this, than so be it. It's up to the league and teams to decide how to respond if they do.

I will say, if someone wants to boycott, it's more honourable and self sacrificing than kneeling for a flag, so in many ways I will respect this response more than insulting those who sacrificed for their flag or anthem.

They have a right to refuse to work if they want to take a stand. It would be interesting to see what the League does. It's more courageous than kneeling.

Raptors, Celtics discussing boycotting NBA playoff game in aftermath of Jacob Blake shooting in Wisconsin

When NBA players decided to play out the rest of the 2019-20 season in Orlando, they made a point to inform the league that they wanted the focal point to remain on social justice, police brutality and the Black Lives Matter movement. Since being at Disney World, players have used their media availability to bring justice for Breonna Taylor, who was shot and killed in Louisville after police officers issued a no-knock warrant.

The NBA has pledged to donate money to organizations that directly serve Black communities. TV commercials have played during games calling for equality. Players like Patty Mills and Jrue Holiday donated their entire salaries to social justice causes and to serve the Black business community. LeBron James started a voting rights group with other athletes, aimed at combating voter suppression in the Black community.

The focal point has remained on social justice. However, the latest police shooting of an unarmed Black man named Jacob Blake, who was shot seven times in the back in Kenosha, Wisconsin on Sunday, has been weighing heavily on the minds of the players and coaches within the NBA bubble. So much so, in fact, that players from the Toronto Raptors and Boston Celtics are having discussions to potentially boycott Game 1 of the Eastern Conference semifinals on Thursday. The players met on Tuesday night in their hotel to weigh their options and will do so again on Wednesday night, according to Adrian Wojnarowski and Marc J. Spears.

If they are going to risk their pay for this, than so be it. It's up to the league and teams to decide how to respond if they do.

I will say, if someone wants to boycott, it's more honourable and self sacrificing than kneeling for a flag, so in many ways I will respect this response more than insulting those who sacrificed for their flag or anthem.

They have a right to refuse to work if they want to take a stand. It would be interesting to see what the League does. It's more courageous than kneeling.

When NBA players decided to play out the rest of the 2019-20 season in Orlando, they made a point to inform the league that they wanted the focal point to remain on social justice, police brutality and the Black Lives Matter movement. Since being at Disney World, players have used their media availability to bring justice for Breonna Taylor, who was shot and killed in Louisville after police officers issued a no-knock warrant.

The NBA has pledged to donate money to organizations that directly serve Black communities. TV commercials have played during games calling for equality. Players like Patty Mills and Jrue Holiday donated their entire salaries to social justice causes and to serve the Black business community. LeBron James started a voting rights group with other athletes, aimed at combating voter suppression in the Black community.

The focal point has remained on social justice. However, the latest police shooting of an unarmed Black man named Jacob Blake, who was shot seven times in the back in Kenosha, Wisconsin on Sunday, has been weighing heavily on the minds of the players and coaches within the NBA bubble. So much so, in fact, that players from the Toronto Raptors and Boston Celtics are having discussions to potentially boycott Game 1 of the Eastern Conference semifinals on Thursday. The players met on Tuesday night in their hotel to weigh their options and will do so again on Wednesday night, according to Adrian Wojnarowski and Marc J. Spears.

Hopefully they will actually be able to bring justice for Breonna Taylor.

There is no issue with which I could care less. Do they think they are punishing someone with their antics?

There is no issue with which I could care less. Do they think they are punishing someone with their antics?

They are trying to bring attention to their cause. Who knows how effective it will be, especially after the kneeling for the anthem, which really wasn't about sacrifice nor was it patriotic.

You can decide if it interests you or not, but, it would be a first in pro sports history as far as I can tell. With how crazy 2020 has been, this will make it even more unusual.

They are trying to bring attention to their cause. Who knows how effective it will be, especially after the kneeling for the anthem, which really wasn't about sacrifice nor was it patriotic.

You can decide if it interests you or not, but, it would be a first in pro sports history as far as I can tell. With how crazy 2020 has been, this will make it even more unusual.

Pro sports at this time, like television, exist solely to present product commercials and political propaganda for public consumption.

Pro sports at this time, like television, exist solely to present product commercials and political propaganda for public consumption.

Quite often, yes. It will grow old I'm sure and shrink it's audience. Only if it continues for a long duration. If it becomes part of the everyday experience, it will certainly force a divided amount of support.

Youth are quite impressionable though, and I wouldn't stop playing a sport (or looking up to SOME players) if I was that age. That's part of the danger of early manipulation of those who can't think critically. I'm not going to stop playing sports, and in doing so seeing others who do. They will see kneeling and/or hear about cancelled games. The message will be received as young people can't look for information critically or in detail.

Doesn't matter your position on any event either. If the protest was in support of the police in this case it would still be the same, pushing a narrative. Influencing youth is too easy, and it's questionable. That said, they can say it's a bigger issue for adults to deal with, they are just taking a stand of personal sacrifice.

They are all not going to play with most people not caring if they play or not. Disband the leagues.

Forum List

Back