Dusty Baker Laments Lack Of US-Born Black Players In World Series

DigitalDrifter

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2013
Oregon
But you'll never see a white coach in the NBA or NFL dare lament that there are fewer and fewer white players in those leagues. That coach would instantly be bullied by the media, labeled a racist, and their career destroyed.

“What hurts is that I don’t know how much hope that it gives some of the young African-American kids,” the Houston Astros manager told The Associated Press.

HOUSTON (AP) — Dusty Baker grew up watching Black stars shine in the World Series, paving his path to a life devoted to baseball.
When he leads the Houston Astros in Game 1 of the World Series against the Philadelphia Phillies on Friday night, the AL and NL champions will play without any U.S.-born Black players for the first time since 1950, shortly after Jackie Robinson broke the Major League Baseball color barrier.
ADVERTISEMENT

But you'll never see a white coach in the NBA or NFL dare lament that there are fewer and fewer white players in those leagues. That coach would instantly be bullied by the media, labeled a racist, and their career destroyed.

“What hurts is that I don’t know how much hope that it gives some of the young African-American kids,” the Houston Astros manager told The Associated Press.

Oh my what a victim you are. Would you like some positive affirmations?

Wonder if the NFL or the NBA have done this for white representation in their leagues?
White cheerleaders maybe. They don't seem under represented in either sport and those virile young black men need something to occupy them when they don't have a game. 😁

Dusty is correct but it can’t change from a band-aid approach. The culture has to be changed and that takes generations.
MLB has been trying for decades to lure blacks back to baseball but the fatherless culture and the natural lending of black skills to basketball and football have undermined baseball.
Several schools in my mostly black suburban school system have had difficulty even fielding teams. Schools with a >2k enrollment.

Dusty is correct but it can’t change from a band-aid approach. The culture has to be changed and that takes generations.
MLB has been trying for decades to lure blacks back to baseball but the fatherless culture and the natural lending of black skills to basketball and football have undermined baseball.
Several schools in my mostly black suburban school system have had difficulty even fielding teams. Schools with a >2k enrollment.
It's not the entire black communities fault you don't know who your father is. 😄

Last edited:
When meritocracies exist like sports, it's the person who brings up the issue that is the problem, not those who reply.

AA males make up less than 7% of the population, and the MLB spends millions dissecting why the majority of players aren't black.
They'll never be happy until every player, every coach, in every league, isn't of the sacred race.

MLB Commits Up To $150 Million To Increase Black Representation In Baseball​

Major League Baseball is making a sizeable investment in the Players Alliance, a nonprofit organization comprised of active and former major league players who are working toward a more equitable system in baseball that strives to see more Blacks represented.

Announced just before the 2021 Home Run Derby, the league is investing up to $150 million over the course of a decade that will see the funds go “toward a variety of programs built around participation in baseball, mentorship, and professional baseball employee development.” There will also be support for initiatives that celebrate Black baseball history and culture, educational grants, and service opportunities to communities.

((Sigh))

Each team (maybe with some exceptions) usually tries to field the best players they can land. I see zero reason to believe that either team’s management said, “ok, but let’s weed out the black players”

Similarly, I doubt any NFL team’s management says, “hey, let’s make sure we don’t field any white players.”

Occasionally, “racism” just isn’t the answer.

There is no issue in baseball. Dusty though is crying. And Dusty has been given many opportunities to manage good teams without a World Championship. In fact, more than most white guys. He was a safe pick for manager of the Astros as they are still being punished for their demonized cheating a few years ago.

AA males make up less than 7% of the population, and the MLB spends millions dissecting why the majority of players aren't black.
They'll never be happy until every player, every coach, in every league, isn't of the sacred race.

MLB Commits Up To $150 Million To Increase Black Representation In Baseball​

They make up only 7.2% of MLB players. It decreased by 0.4% for the previous year. How long before there are very, very few?

Who said anything about a majority? Pardon me, but your racism is showing.

Forum List

Back