Ranger loses leg, re-enlists with prosthetic, saves another Ranger, earns medal

Sheldon

Apr 2, 2010
FORT BENNING, Ga. — From the moment his broken body was pulled from an armored vehicle in Iraq — after an enemy grenade, dropped through a hatch, detonated inches away —Army Ranger Joseph Kapacziewski vowed to be back in the fight. "Is this going to ruin my chances of being a squad leader?" he asked as he was carried into a medical ward. The soldier's lower right leg was shattered. Nerve damage left his right arm useless. And from hip to upper thigh, the flesh was shredded by the blast.

It was 2005, and doctors feared Kapacziewski (pronounced Capa-CHESS-ski) would never walk, much less be able to remain in the elite, physically demanding Army Rangers.

Fast-forward five years to the morning of April 19, 2010, to a village in eastern Afghanistan.

With help from his false leg, Sgt. 1st Class Kapacziewski, 28, races down an Afghan road through enemy fire to reach a fellow Ranger who had been shot in the stomach. Along with another soldier, they drag the wounded man 75 yards to safety and administer first aid as insurgents with heavy machine guns try to kill them.

The action earns Kapacziewski an Army commendation medal with a "V" for valor. The story of Joe Kapacziewski's rebirth as the only Army Ranger serving in direct combat operations with a prosthetic limb is more than a tale of will power and physical hardship.

"I really worked so hard to be a good soldier," he told his wife recently. "I'm afraid (now) everyone thinks of me as an amputee."

Despite the loss of a leg, Army Ranger is back in the fight - USATODAY.com

Kind of a long article, but it's worth the read.

Forum List

Back