6000 Veterans Commited Suicide Last Year!

dvinman

VIP Member
Dec 14, 2009
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qSf13AS2Owk]YouTube - ‪6000 Veterans Commited Suicide Last Year!‬‏[/ame]

About 30,000 Americans take their lives every year. The world suicide prevention group notes that worldwide suicide rates have increased 60% in 45 years. Many of the Veterans today are what we used to call "citizen soldiers" which means they come back to face the same problems that everyone in their age group faces like unemployment and drug use. We do everything we can for Veterans with counseling and free education. It's a shame that certain factions use the statistics for political purposes. It seems that female Veterans are three times more likely to take their lives than non-veterans. Did liberal democrats do women a favor by authorizing them to serve in combat?

Depending where you are it can take months to see Mental Health at the VA Hospital, mine had a 4 month waiting list however they did dish me out a 6 month prescription of sleeping pills right there on the spot.

The right thinks it not enough so they will vote against raising the debt limit which will cause these numbers to rise

Interesting

What was the age breakdown of the VETS who dispatched themselves?

those tha commit suicide have the will to die, they would have done it anyway, without using their service as an excuse.

Had to do a ton of searching, but I found out what's up.

Defense.gov News Article: VA Strives to Prevent Veteran Suicides

WASHINGTON, April 23, 2010 – With more than 6,000 veterans committing suicide every year –- and 98 veterans of Iraq and Afghanistan taking their own lives during fiscal 2009 alone -- the Department of Veterans Affairs is redoubling its outreach to veterans and promoting its toll-free suicide-prevention hotline

In addition, VA established a toll-free national suicide hotline in July 2007 that Kemp said receives about 10,000 calls a month from veterans as well as currently serving soldiers, sailors, airmen and Marines. Callers dial 1-800-273-TALK (8255), and then select option “1” to talk directly with a VA professional trained to deal with an immediate crisis.

its sux but its a reflection of life.

to get to that 16.4 a day with only 98 of them vets of the past 10 years means you probably have not only mentally ill, but a huge number of terminally ill -hospice care- type , ww2 vets as well, they are in their 80's-90's now...

from the link-

94 men and four women – there were 1,868 who made non-fatal attempts on their lives. Of these, 1,621 were men and 247 were women, reflecting trends in the general U.S. population.

The right thinks it not enough so they will vote against raising the debt limit which will cause these numbers to rise
Thanks, that's so relevant. :rolleyes:

they come back to face the same problems that everyone in their age group faces like unemployment and drug use.
Yes but you didn't mention the unique problems which vets face, like unemployment due to a lack of job skills which translate to the civilian world, a variety of potential physical/mental issues due to combat, etc.

We do everything we can for Veterans with counseling and free education.
I don't know about you but the "counseling" and "free education" I've seen/heard of is a joke. Pass the poweropint brief. :rolleyes:

It's a shame that certain factions use the statistics for political purposes.
True enough, for those that do.

The world suicide prevention group notes that worldwide suicide rates have increased 60% in 45 years

prevention group?

perhaps they might consider changing their telephone hold music

~S~

Don't let Our Kenyan President her that statistic while he's golfing.

His cheering would disturb others on the course.

Anything that gets veterans....like anyone else....off HIS unemployment rolls is a laughing matter for the Turn-in-Chief.

In my 20 years in the military at least two people committed suicide at each command I was in. I think the most was 4 within a two year period. The commands I was in were no different then any others. All were male and all except one were over women. All involved alcohol. I retired late 2005 and the suicide issue is only getting worse.

Forum List

Back