Rand Paul talks of cutting military spending

So the right have very eagerly elected an apparent anti war senator. Good for them, even if they had no idea what they were doing.
I predicted they would regret electing Rand Paul.

Even disagreeing with Ron Paul on 90% of everything he believes, his stance on the Wars puts him head and shoulders above all other Republicans in my opinion.

Ron Paul said:
Another term for preventive war is aggressive war - starting wars because someday somebody might do something to us. That is not part of the American tradition.
-
Cliches about supporting the troops are designed to distract from failed policies, policies promoted by powerful special interests that benefit from war, anything to steer the discussion away from the real reasons the war in Iraq will not end anytime soon.
-
Setting a good example is a far better way to spread ideals than through force of arms.

EDIT: And actually let me add, probably most Democrats as well.

shhh dont tell anyone, but ummm. He is a Republican :)

so what are they going to cut? they going to leave our troops without funds?

How about closing down all of these foreign bases we have for starters that we don't need anymore?
Just had to quote this so people see this again :clap2:

That would be the first thing I would start to do if I was president. There is no reason to have hundreds of foreign military bases. The empire that we have will kill us just as fast as all the unfunded promises that we made.

Oh, they will probably have jobs to return to...................

Just cut taxes and we will have more jobs than we can fill.

if that were true, 10 years of tax cuts for the "job creators" (i.e., rich people) would have increased jobs.

They did increase jobs. Unemployment was down to 4.5% just a few years ago. It's the mortgage defaults that crashed the market and caused the high level of unemployment. It's a completely different set of circumstances.

the military has already undergone a number of large cuts, either some don't care or don't read. Paul can make all of the announcements he wants, we'll see. if there is fat, cut it. I'd say 2 super carriers, a carreir grp., and 150 F-22's etc. is a very good start and has been done already.

What the question will then be is; what entitlements will be cut?

You can't cut spending without cutting the military. Anyone who claims they're going to cut spending without cutting military is lying.

I don't know about that. Military spending increased dramatically after Obama & the democrats took over, but we did not increase our military presents.

because rand, like his father, claims that if we just don't upset terrorists, they'll be nice to us.

that is naive and dangerous.

Well we may try not killing so many people in the middle east..and leave their governments alone to make their own decisions.

See where it goes from there.

I wonder why nobody attacks Switzerland?

The Swiss Citizens are well armed & Switzerland minds its own business.

That certainly will up the number of unemployment compensation checks. Good fucking show. Pay more unemployment decrease our strength. Good fucking show.

Decrease our strength? With all of our strength, paying out more for our military than any other three nations in the world, we became mired in the occupation of a small nation of only 25 million people. And totally lost control of the situation.

Perhaps what we need is a lot less military and a lot more wisdom in our use of it.

If we are to cut services to citizens in this nation, there should be a least an equal percentage cut to the military.

That certainly will up the number of unemployment compensation checks. Good fucking show. Pay more unemployment decrease our strength. Good fucking show.

Decrease our strength? With all of our strength, paying out more for our military than any other three nations in the world, we became mired in the occupation of a small nation of only 25 million people. And totally lost control of the situation.

Perhaps what we need is a lot less military and a lot more wisdom in our use of it.

If we are to cut services to citizens in this nation, there should be a least an equal percentage cut to the military.

What we should be doing is going line by line through every part of the Budget and looking to cut, Wasteful, Redundant, and inefficient items out of it. Defense included.

It is my belief we could save from 20 to 40% on our entire budget simply buy cutting programs that are not really essential and or are wasteful or redundant.

What we should be doing is going line by line through every part of the Budget and looking to cut, Wasteful, Redundant, and inefficient items out of it. Defense included.

It is my belief we could save from 20 to 40% on our entire budget simply buy cutting programs that are not really essential and or are wasteful or redundant.
A major problem with our system of government is the kick-back game. In order for a politician to make a buck under the table he must waste twenty, which is the reason for all the wasteful, redundant and inefficient items in the Budget.

One plainly visible example was former Senator Ted Stevens of Alaska who authorized the infamous "Bridge To Nowhere," the payoff for which was the transformative renovation of his house into a mansion by the same contractor who built the wholly unnecessary bridge at enormous cost to the taxpayers. If Stevens was able to just directly embezzle the money to pay for the renovation it would have cost less then one percent of the cost to build that totally useless bridge. Equally typical of our corrupted system is the fact that it wasn't long after Stevens was caught and sent to prison for his brazen corruption that he was pardoned and released.

If Obama wasn't as full of shit as he obviously is he would direct his puppet of an Attorney General to establish a branch of the FBI to investigate the finances and activities of the free-spending Congress the effect would be a dramatic decrease in annual spending -- especially where the Pentagon is concerned. That is the black hole of corruption.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back