Rand Paul Plagiarized Wikipedia in Speech

I think you've got the wrong definition of plagiarize here.

You PLAGIARIZE the UNIQUE work and ideas of INDIVIDUALS. You don't plagiarize when you quote the Newtonian Laws of Motion or any other "COMMON KNOWLEDGE" topics..

Kinda sketchy since the olde Wiki is written FOR FREE by a MASS of anonymous people.. And no one page is neccessarily attributed to one individual or even really ATTRIBUTED --- is it?

Wikipedia:Text of Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

You are free:

to Share—to copy, distribute and transmit the work, and
to Remix—to adapt the work

Under the following conditions:

Attribution—You must attribute the work in the manner specified by the author or licensor (but not in any way that suggests that they endorse you or your use of the work.)

I think you've got the wrong definition of plagiarize here.

You PLAGIARIZE the UNIQUE work and ideas of INDIVIDUALS. You don't plagiarize when you quote the Newtonian Laws of Motion or any other "COMMON KNOWLEDGE" topics..

Kinda sketchy since the olde Wiki is written FOR FREE by a MASS of anonymous people.. And no one page is neccessarily attributed to one individual or even really ATTRIBUTED --- is it?

Wikipedia:Text of Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

You are free:

to Share—to copy, distribute and transmit the work, and
to Remix—to adapt the work

Under the following conditions:

Attribution—You must attribute the work in the manner specified by the author or licensor (but not in any way that suggests that they endorse you or your use of the work.)

You quoted from one of SEVERAL licensing terms that WikiPedia subscribes to.. MOST of them require citations to the authors.

1) Wikipedia "MANAGES" the content, but does not OWN IT..
2) Wiki Contributors are EXPRESSLY prohibited from providing ANY ORIGINAL CONTENT..
3) 90% of the pages have NO AUTHOR information directly displayed.
4) ALL of the licensing agreements are OPEN and FREE access and are not written SPECIFICALLY for Wikipedia.

I'm not advocating that you skip attributions to the Wikipedia.. Please continue to do that. But in doing so --- you are not specifically crediting any "authors" OR "owners" of the material.

You do it because that's the nature of shareware. And it's the right thing to do..

You cannot STEAL STUFF that has by definition of the process --- NO ORIGINAL CONTENT.
But you should be a good member of the community that is SHARING this project.

And for crying out --- you cannot describe the basic plot of a movie in a way that is fundamentally different than the Wiki --- unless you're wrong or are being EXTREMELY creative.

I'm wondering why Rand Paul couldn't write his own speech, why did he have to lift most of it from a wiki entry about a fictional movie rather than address what is really going on.

Hyperbole is when a person takes their argument to it's furthest possible point, even if that point is far beyond anything that could ever be considered reality.

I'm wondering why Rand Paul couldn't write his own speech, why did he have to lift most of it from a wiki entry about a fictional movie rather than address what is really going on.

Hyperbole is when a person takes their argument to it's furthest possible point, even if that point is far beyond anything that could ever be considered reality.

I would guess its becase a busy us senator needs to right on the IMPORTANT stuff and cant afford to have the media hounds second guessing his movie reviewing accuracy. You KNOW that if he had made a mistake on the plot of Gattica - That would have been headlines news instead of the POINT of that speech... test time.. what WAS the topic of that speech?

I guess thats not important in america anymore'''''''''''''

Rand's interview with Jorge Ramos showed that Rand doesn't understand what plagiarism is.

Hmm, you liberals must be awfully worried about Rand Paul to be attacking him so much this early.

Let's consider two scenarios:

1) Rand Paul took a couple of well written paragraphs for a speech --- ok?

2) Rand Paul is a the Bane of Humanity for plagiarizing an entire book --- YOUR OBAMACARE ROLLOUT SUCKS REGARDLESS OF WHICH SCENARIO YOU CHOOSE.

Not a chance.
Now Obama's BS, that's a long list.
By all means, show us examples of Obama plagiarizing anything.

Obama's 2012 convention speech was slightly reworded from Carter's 1980 speech.

Obama 2012 Convention Speech Copied From? Carter 1980 | ReaganCoalition.com

Obama's campaign slogan, "Hope and Change" was peppered throughout Alinsky's writings as a suggested slogan.

Of course, the left will say Carter's speech was brilliant and Obama was only repeating the truth. Same could be said for Paul.

Anyone can put info on Wikipedia and if you prove when it was put there, and by whom, you may have a case. Much of the stuff on Wikipedia is already plagiarized from other sources on the net.

I am more willing to accept people repeating things that make sense rather than those who outright lie, then won't fess up.

Rand Paul at last responds to plagiarism charge: Maddow's a hater!
wail_zps4d2a786d.gif

:lol:

I would guess its becase a busy us senator needs to right on the IMPORTANT stuff and cant afford to have the media hounds second guessing his movie reviewing accuracy. You KNOW that if he had made a mistake on the plot of Gattica - That would have been headlines news instead of the POINT of that speech... test time.. what WAS the topic of that speech?

I guess thats not important in america anymore'''''''''''''

You're right......................a busy US Senator SHOULD be right on the important stuff. However, the movie review that Rand Paul read about was in opposition to the ACA, and he was trying to say that the U.S. was going to end up practicing eugenics and telling people what caste they would be in if Obamacare was allowed to continue.

Like I said.................Rand Paul used hyperbole to try to make his point as to why the ACA is a bad thing. Got news for you, it's not.................and I'm looking forward to signing up in mid-November to mid-December for it, because not only will it save me money, but I will also have healthcare again.

Sorry..................but unless we let the corporations and the teabaggers run the government, Gattica is never going to happen.

wail_zps4d2a786d.gif

Rachel had a hysterical segment on this. She read what was in Wiki and then showed him speaking. He actually took the entire text from there for his speech. His smart father must be so proud. :redface:

Not a chance.

Obama's campaign slogan, "Hope and Change" was peppered throughout Alinsky's writings as a suggested slogan.

Of course, the left will say Carter's speech was brilliant and Obama was only repeating the truth. Same could be said for Paul.

Anyone can put info on Wikipedia and if you prove when it was put there, and by whom, you may have a case. Much of the stuff on Wikipedia is already plagiarized from other sources on the net.

I am more willing to accept people repeating things that make sense rather than those who outright lie, then won't fess up.

Whatever, which rag did you lift this from?

Not a chance.

I am willing to accept people who repeat things that make sense as well. However..........saying that this country is going to end up going the way of a FICTIONAL MOVIE just because you disagree with something? Nope.............Rand Paul is an idiot.

Not a chance.

The side by side comparisons are laughable at best.

And these are themes prevalent in the Democratic party planks.

What is it with you guys and Saul Alinsky?

The guy was no criminal. And his only "faux pas" was trying to find poor people, housing.

That is it.

Everyone wonders the same thing about Obama.

Everyone wonders the same thing about Obama.

Quick question....................can you provide any proof that Obama lifted most of his speech from a movie review on Wikipedia?

I'm guessing you can't. However..................I can provide links for what Rand Paul did.

Even if Obama doesn't write his own speeches (most Presidents from recent times haven't, not even Jr. Bush), can you show me where he blatantly plagiarized something from the 'net?

wail_zps4d2a786d.gif

Rachel had a hysterical segment on this. She read what was in Wiki and then showed him speaking. He actually took the entire text from there for his speech. His smart father must be so proud. :redface:
What was most amusing in Senator Cut & Paste's response is his display of...not really knowing what plagiarism is.

Forum List

Back