Rand Paul endorsed Romney tonight

It's really only speculation at this point, that this is about "delivering" anything.

It may just be that he's telling the establishment what they want to hear.

They've used us long enough. Maybe he's using them as well. Fuck, SOMEONE needs to.

Yeah... sorry, but that's the excuse every single politician uses. Ron Paul didn't, which is what made him different. Whatever his leanings, Rand Paul is a politician first, a libertarian second - if at all.

Hey, I respect that and it doesn't exactly make me feel great. But I know of Rand from back when most people didn't even know of Ron, and he always spoke like his father. When he started getting into running for office he calmed down a bit on the rhetoric. I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt until he gives me a GOOD reason not to. So far I'm satisfied with his voting record. I think he offered the best budget plan, and the establishment ignored it and prefers to continue to talk about Ryan's meaningless plan. That tells me something.

I think the most significant thing I get from Rand's endorsement of Romney is confirmation that Ron Paul will not mount a 3rd party campaign.
Paul supporters will have to buck up and decide who is closest to their ideal or just stay home.

It's really only speculation at this point, that this is about "delivering" anything.

They've used us long enough. Maybe he's using them as well. Fuck, SOMEONE needs to.

Yeah... sorry, but that's the excuse every single politician uses. Ron Paul didn't, which is what made him different. Whatever his leanings, Rand Paul is a politician first, a libertarian second - if at all.

Hey, I respect that and it doesn't exactly make me feel great. But I know of Rand from back when most people didn't even know of Ron, and he always spoke like his father. When he started getting into running for office he calmed down a bit on the rhetoric. I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt until he gives me a GOOD reason not to. So far I'm satisfied with his voting record. I think he offered the best budget plan, and the establishment ignored it and prefers to continue to talk about Ryan's meaningless plan. That tells me something.

That's fine, and as I said, I'll wait it out and see how he behaves over the next four years. But this doesn't increase my optimism or respect for Rand.

The thing that I find so disappointing about this is that it's not leadership, it's politicking. What's made the RP Revolution signficant - and attractive to so many - is that we didn't play politics. Ron Paul stood up for what he believed was right even when it wasn't political to do so. Not only did that reach people on a personal level, it encouraged them to consider ideas they might not have otherwise.

Rand Paul is playing for power, and his political machinations are uninspiring. Even when he's parroting the libertarian line, I never get the impression that the ideals are important to him. Certainly not more important than his political ambitions.

Last edited:

That's fine, and as I said, I'll wait it out and see how he behaves over the next four years. But this doesn't increase my optimism or respect for Rand.

The thing that I find so disappointing about this is that it's not leadership, it's politicking. What's made the RP Revolution signficant - and attractive to so many - is that we didn't play politics. Ron Paul stood up for what he believed was right even when it wasn't political to do so. Not only did that reach people on a personal level, it encouraged them to consider ideas they might not have otherwise.

Rand Paul is playing for power, and his political machinations are uninspiring. Even when he's parroting the libertarian line, I never get the impression that the ideals are important to him. Certainly not more important than his political ambitions.

If not for the fact that this is Ron's child, I might be a little less trusting. But blood is thicker than water, and hopefully that's true here.

Ron Paul is not launching any third party campaign. He knows he doesn't have the following. He's retiring at the end of his term. His followers can sit in their basements, smoke pot and dream of what coulda, woulda, shoulda or move on.

I'm not surprised.

I think they will all endorse Romney.

The alternative is 4 more years of Barry.

God forbid.

If not for the fact that this is Ron's child, I might be a little less trusting. But blood is thicker than water, and hopefully that's true here.

Ahh the dynasty thing.

Somehow it doesn't surprise me. Never trusted him much.

I think you're both putting too much importance on this.

I don't think it's terribly important. But I do find it disappointing, if not surprising. Most especially, I find Rand's willingness to, or even his presumption that he can, 'deliver' a significant portion of his father's support to the Romney campaign offensive. A quick scan of the Ron Paul forums shows otherwise, though it is likely he'll be able to peel away some less dedicated Ron Paul supporters - and much of the Tea Party movement.

EDIT: Even a Ron Paul endorsement of Romney would fail to convert much of the RP Revolution to Romney voters. Contrary to the claims of detractors, it's not a cult of personality. It's a genuine movement for honesty and change in politics. Ron Paul has enjoyed their support so far because he's the one of the few willing to make the case on the national stage. But that support is not unconditional.

I don't think Rand is of the opinion that his endorsement of Romney is going to get Ron Paul supporters to vote for Romney.

I'm not surprised.

God forbid.

No, the alternative is maintaining the call for real change. Sacrificing that demand, by meekly supporting Romney - who is fundamentally just as damaging to liberty as Obama - is the fool's play.

"Anybody but ... " is desperation and will get us nowhere.

This I agree with.

Rand did get a good ride on his fathers coattails for someone who had not held any political office at all.

I'm not surprised.

God forbid.

No, the alternative is maintaining the call for real change. Sacrificing that demand, by meekly supporting Romney - who is fundamentally just as damaging to liberty as Obama - is the fool's play.

Let me ask you this, who should Rand have endorsed? Gary Johnson? Nobody?

I have mixed feelings. On one hand you can look at it like a slap in the face, and on the other you have to at least understand that to really be able to challenge the establishment you've got to be able to get at least somewhat inside it first.

Meanwhile those of us that vote for Romney are sell outs to liberty right?

I'm not surprised.

God forbid.

Let me ask you this, who should Rand have endorsed? Gary Johnson? Nobody?

Isn't Ron Paul a candidate?

Forum List

Back