Radio Shacks days are numbered

rightwinger

Award Winning USMB Paid Messageboard Poster
Aug 4, 2009
I'm surprised it has lasted this long

RadioShack's days are numbered - Jul. 31, 2014

The chain of 4,000 stores has just $62 million in cash left - a figure that is rapidly approaching zero. Things are so dire that it actually doesn't have enough money to close the 1,100 locations management says it needs to shutter.

Investors, credit rating agencies and the company''s lenders seem to be in agreement that RadioShack's days are numbered.

The chain of 4,000 stores has just $62 million in cash left - a figure that is rapidly approaching zero. Things are so dire that it actually doesn't have enough money to close the 1,100 locations management says it needs to shutter.

Investors, credit rating agencies and the company''s lenders seem to be in agreement that RadioShack's days are numbered.

It's sad but inevitable. You can get at Best Buy most of the stuff you get at radio shack, unless you are an audio/remote control etc. nerd. Online ordering muscled them out of the computer market, and the stores were never big enough to compete on the TV market.

They did have the best Super Bowl commercial at least.

Last edited by a moderator:

It's sad but inevitable. You can get at Best Buy most of the stuff you get at radio shack, unless you are an audio/remote control etc. nerd. Online ordering muscled them out of the computer market, and the stores were never big enough to compete on the TV market.

It seems they never knew what they wanted to be. They had prime locations in all the malls of America but were the last place people would go to buy electronics

I need batteries...let me stop at Radio Shack

It seems they never knew what they wanted to be. They had prime locations in all the malls of America but were the last place people would go to buy electronics

I need batteries...let me stop at Radio Shack

For me its "my audio/charger/whatever cable is busted, go to RS to get a new one"

and the battery for my car Fob.

The rise of internet shopping sure didn't do them any favors either, because they couldn't even position themselves as the place where you can get the one off cable that might not be at Best Buy. Anything you needed could be easily bought online.

It seemed they made a last desperate attempt to be a hub for shit like cell phones but that was yet another pointless flail.

The rise of internet shopping sure didn't do them any favors either, because they couldn't even position themselves as the place where you can get the one off cable that might not be at Best Buy. Anything you needed could be easily bought online.

It seemed they made a last desperate attempt to be a hub for shit like cell phones but that was yet another pointless flail.

Radio Shack had stores accessible to most Americans

What they had to offer was live people you could talk to. Many, many Americans are intimidated by the technology and can't fix problems. Radio Shack could have been the place to go when you get that annoying pop-up on your computer, when you can't synchronize your cell phone, the place that will send geeks to your house to set up your internet and entertainment system

What they had to offer was live people you could talk to. Many, many Americans are intimidated by the technology and can't fix problems.
Back in the day yeah, but my last visit I was helped by some 19 year old kid who recommended I purchase the $60 monster gold plated hdmi cable.

What they had to offer was live people you could talk to. Many, many Americans are intimidated by the technology and can't fix problems.
Back in the day yeah, but my last visit I was helped by some 19 year old kid who recommended I purchase the $60 monster gold plated hdmi cable.

And that is where they failed

They were positioned to offer skilled technical support at a location easily accessible to most Americans. Geek Squad on steroids

Instead they manned their stores with minimum wage workers trying for commissions

It's a shame but the only thing the store is good for is having some obscure watch battery in stock. Walmart has most of the stuff.

Radio "We charge triple what everybody else charges!" Shack in financial trouble?
Couldn't POSSIBLY be!

They still have their web store with free shipping so I think it'll be a while before we see the last of the
th

There are a couple of Radio Shacks within 30 miles of where I live. I live in the boonies so the stores are located in nearby towns. Radio Shack used to be a really great place to shop. They had just about anything you could name in stock. Now, the Radio Shacks in my area are very tiny little shops and they stock very little as compared to the past. Just about anything has to be special ordered. There are never any other customers in the store when I go in to them to shop and always just one person working. I can see them gone within the next 18 months or so. I don't know how the two in my area stay in business.

It was inevitable.
One... their prices for small electronics was outrageous. They were destined to be out competed years ago.
Two...Amazon.
Three...Walmart/Target/Best Buy/Staples etc. etc.

Choice A..go to Radio Shack and pay $18 for some cable, Choice B... go anywhere else for $10.

Forum List

Back