Racist garbage in the main political forums....

Its pretty disgusting to read and disheartening to see so much real ignorance but that's the nature of our society, culture and our precious First Amendment.

We don't get to choose who gets to state their opinions and who does not.

And that's the way we want it.

We have some really trashy and very stupid people posting here but I would fight for their right to be trashy and stupid.

Just scroll past the garbage and know they are making complete asses of themselves.

You think this is bad. Visit a sports talk message board. Talk about shittalkers.

Not necessarily. In the main political forums it's impossible to separate out racist partisanship from non-racist political speech and ideas. Just part of the political landscape.

I'm talking about specific threads -- one's that feature race in the title.

Have a fair idea which and who's posting them. They do that to get ya to look at the thread. Even if we disagree 100% with them, their poison is still then in our minds if we read it. Better solution, don't read it at all. Then it can't upset you.

Ignore is a wonderful function in this new program.

No, that's not how I want to handle this, but thanks.

Some problems ... like cancer ... you DON'T want to ignore.
If you are offended in any way, put the poster on ignore till what he or she says doesn't offend you anymore. Anyone who I feel is a waste of time goes there with me.

Not necessarily. In the main political forums it's impossible to separate out racist partisanship from non-racist political speech and ideas. Just part of the political landscape.

I'm talking about specific threads -- one's that feature race in the title.

Have a fair idea which and who's posting them. They do that to get ya to look at the thread. Even if we disagree 100% with them, their poison is still then in our minds if we read it. Better solution, don't read it at all. Then it can't upset you.

Thanks for the pep-talk, this isn't about me OR you; it involves protecting the integrity of this site.

PLEASE REPORT OVERTLY RACIST THREADS THAT ARE IN THE WRONG FORUM.

Thanks.

Its pretty disgusting to read and disheartening to see so much real ignorance but that's the nature of our society, culture and our precious First Amendment.

We have some really trashy and very stupid people posting here but I would fight for their right to be trashy and stupid.

Just scroll past the garbage and know they are making complete asses of themselves.

Also true, but it doesn't mean we can't educate them a little. Not being heard is the greatest leverage the site has.

I don't think so.

There are some here who take pride in being inbred, ignorant crackers.

If you are offended in any way, put the poster on ignore till what he or she says doesn't offend you anymore. Anyone who I feel is a waste of time goes there with me.

You might want to repeat that a few more times, still not certain of what this whole "ignore" thing is.
:blowup:

Guy's, this is YOUR site -- not anyone else's.

Time to step up.

Unfortunately, to have free speech we have to tolerate speech that makes us wanna do...ooh terrible things to people. :) Racist speech is protected speech. And a legitimate means of expressing your ideas. Long as it doesn't break site-rules I'd imagine they're gonna say put such users on ignore.

As somoene fairly well aquainted with unpleasant speech from others I may occasionally put such people on ignore, report rule infractions, and stick pins in the little voodoo dolls of them I make (kidding, but only just,) I nonetheless defend their right to say stupid uninformed things. And wouldn't dream of restricting it long as it isn't breaking site-rules we all abide by.

Can't let stupid hateful people bring ya down. First, there's more of them than there are us. Second, I think many of them are just so profoundly lonely they'll say anything no matter how outrageous just for some attention not having the mind to express a legitimate thought that'd garner as much.

But as Dr. King said best,

"Returning hate for hate multiplies hate, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Hate multiplies hate, violence multiplies violence, and toughness multiplies toughness in a descending spiral of destruction."

My concern here is that this garbage belongs in a SPECIFIC forum. NOT IN THE MAIN FORUMS.

Freedom of speech? Fine, as long as it's done proper and doesn't wreck the place.

Works for me.

But really, this board encourages the lowest common denominator.

Its what they want.

Also true, but it doesn't mean we can't educate them a little. Not being heard is the greatest leverage the site has.

I don't think so.

Now that was racist.

Just because we know where the dog crap is in our yard, doesn't mean neighbors we want to visit us know. So ignore doesn't really answer the whole problem.

Most of the racists are "Gold Members" and I find that pretty hysterical.

I'm not going to report racists in the main forum. I prefer they expose themselves for what they are....no one, aside from Gracie, is going to be influenced by them.

You might want to repeat that a few more times, still not certain of what this whole "ignore" thing is.
:blowup:

Guy's, this is YOUR site -- not anyone else's.

Time to step up.

Click on their avi and look for the word "ignore".

Click it once and they disappear.

Problem solved.

I don't think so.

I think there's more to it often times. Cyberwarfare uses propaganda. I wouldn't wonder then if groups with racist agendas use racist postings on popular discussion sites as a kind of demoralizer. If you can't shoot at people or otherwise affect real-world consequences, next best thing is hit em in their minds. Maybe it's tin-foil hatter in me, but asking as ever, who's this crap benefitting? The answer's every racist group. More we fight, more we must be reading their garbage only encouraging them to post more of it knowing it too will get read upsetting good people.

"The only winning move is not to play." - "Joshua," "Wargames"

I'm not going to report racists in the main forum. I prefer they expose themselves for what they are....no one, aside from Gracie, is going to be influenced by them.

After a while, too much of that shit starts to track into the house.

I think there's more to it often times. Cyberwarfare uses propaganda. I wouldn't wonder then if groups with racist agendas use racist postings on popular discussion sites as a kind of demoralizer. If you can't shoot at people or otherwise affect real-world consequences, next best thing is hit em in their minds. Maybe it's tin-foil hatter in me, but asking as ever, who's this crap benefitting? The answer's every racist group. More we fight, more we must be reading their garbage only encouraging them to post more of it knowing it too will get read upsetting good people.

"The only winning move is not to play." - "Joshua," "Wargames"

The answer is to NOT engage them, but to REPORT them for being in the wrong forum.

After a while, too much of that shit starts to track into the house.

I think most of them brought it here with them.

If it is unrelated to the topic, I say delete the post. If it is, I guess we just have to tolerate it. Certainly one of the top five reasons the site is used less.
People avoid this board because of the rampant racism that is tolerated by the admin.

"This is just what the nerds want." - "Signs" :)

Talking about this is precisely what the racists hope for.

Rather have racism I can visually or technologically ignore than arbitray censorship.

Forum List

Back