Racist Dogs: Why Do Some Dogs Seem Not To Like Dark Skinned People?

TruthOut10

Dec 3, 2012
HuffPost Live on Friday hosted a discussion about how some dogs seem to show bias against people with darker skin, an idea explored in popular culture for years, including in the 1982 movie "White Dog," and more recently, in an episode of "Curb You Enthusiasm" and a "Key and Peele" sketch.

Guest Darrell Mashia told HuffPost Live host Nancy Redd that often his white friends' dogs would treat him differently than other lighter-skinned people.

"I have a lot of friends who have dogs and they're typically nice to most of the people that they encounter which I'd say are mostly white folk,"Mashia told HuffPost Live host Nancy Redd, "but -- I wouldn't say all of them but a good chunk, maybe a third ... whenever I enter the room or try to get close to them they growl or snap or just kinda stare and look very uncomfortable."
•Watch the Full Segment on HuffPost Live.

In a recent Gawker article titled "Why Are Dogs Racist? Canine Experts Speak," a number of experts also sounded off on the topic.

From Gawker's interview with Renee Payne of Walk This Way Canine Behavior Therapy:

The general consensus is that it's because the dog wasn't properly socialized as a puppy, and wasn't exposed to people of all races and ethnicities — or that the dog was abused by someone who "looked" a certain way.
[...]

There are certain breeds of dogs that I've noticed don't see well at night, and react poorly to people with darker skin (day or night). I believe that with these dogs, there must be some vision problem, and if a person has slightly darker skin, it can seem as though they appear out of nowhere.

Writing for Newsweek in 2010, columnist Raina Kelly said that dogs simply lack the cognitive capacity to be racist.

Racist Dogs: Why Do Some Dogs Seem Not To Like Dark Skinned People?

When they are around a certain race of people all the time, they could get intimidated by another race. IMO, anyways..

Dogs go by instinct...and it's also genetic. Certain breeds back in the day were bred especially to chase and maul a black person...german shepards in particular.
IMO...it's based on instinct and genetics.

I think it's the enviroment they're raised in. I've seen dogs raised with black families that didn't like white people and vice versa.

My two Rhodesian Ridgebacks doesn't like anyone, no matter what their color.

Dogs go by instinct...and it's also genetic. Certain breeds back in the day were bred especially to chase and maul a black person...german shepards in particular.

Genetics? Really? No, really? LOL! There is absolutely zero data that supports your claim.

Try and not talk about things you clearly don't understand.

Genetics? Really? No, really? LOL! There is absolutely zero data that supports your claim.

To be a n00b, you sure are an :ahole-1:

I like how you cherry picked my post.
IMO means IN MY OPINION...YOU clearly can't read and comprehend, my pet.
Now...bow down and lick my boots bitch boi. ;)♥

"Cherry picked" it?

I like how you flatter yourself and think you're being singled out.

Put your big girl panties on and stop crying.

"Cherry picked" it?

:laugh:
Sooo...you do know that IMO means IN MY OPINION, right? Or do I have to teach you basic internet abbreviations and acronyms used in a post?

Again, my pet...lick my heels...good boi. ;)

"Cherry picked" it?

Sooo...you do know that IMO means IN MY OPINION, right? Or do I have to teach you basic internet abbreviations and acronyms used in a post?

Sure, I know what it means, and I pointed out that your opinion isn't supported by any data and you have zero idea what you're braying about. You're clueless from your oink to your curly little tail.

What's ironic is that your stupidity most likely actually IS genetic.

Sorry to have made you cry.

I've lived on this earth for quite a while and I have never heard such silliness.

Tell me which breeds were bred especially to chase and maul black people?

And please include some supporting data.

"Cherry picked" it?

Sure, I know what it means, and I pointed out that your opinion isn't supported by any data and you have zero idea what you're braying about. You're clueless from your oink to your curly little tail.

heh heh..glutton for punishment eh? I can help with that my dear boi...

Dominatrix2.jpg

You like it, don't you?

Dominatrix2.jpg

You like it, don't you?

You a freak, aint ya? hehe

Dominatrix2.jpg

You like it, don't you?

Yes, you keep utterly crushing my rhetorical fist with your rhetorical face.

Ow.

Dominatrix2.jpg

You like it, don't you?

Yes, you keep utterly crushing my rhetorical fist with your rhetorical face.

Ow.

rotflmao.gif

I'm making you hot aren't I...you gettin' a chub? That's not allowed...now turn over and take it like a good boi.

Dominatrix2.jpg

You like it, don't you?

You a freak, aint ya? hehe

Who? Moi?
heh heh...;)♥

Forum List

Back