Rachel Maddow has this theory...........

berg80

Diamond Member
Oct 28, 2017
.......that I thought would be interesting to discuss. Boiled down to its essence it is that Trump is not the essential element animating Trumpery. Trumpery being defined (by me) as the rise of nativism, the advent of power concentrated in the hands of the nation's leader, challenging the prior constitutional order, an isolationist bent, targeting minorities as being responsible for a variety of societal ills, and sloganeering as a substitute for nuanced policy.

She recently did a town hall style meeting with Chris Hayes during which he asked her why it is, in her opinion, that some authoritarian figures in history fail to gain support while others succeed. IOW, can success or failure of these figures be predicted. Her answer was the country, any country, has to be previously receptive to the message being projected. That no one can start from ground zero and orchestrate an authoritarian movement unless citizens in the country, some of them at least, are ready for it.

Probably the best example of this being Germany before Hitler (I'm not comparing Trump to Hitler). The seeds for being receptive to fascism were planted by the onerous terms Germany was forced to submit to after WW I.

So what was happening here that allowed for the sublimated acceptance of, if not desire for, autocracy to bubble to the surface? Technological advances bringing about economic instability? The "browning" of the country causing anxiety among certain factions?

Or is Rachel's theory just wrong?

.......that I thought would be interesting to discuss. Boiled down to its essence it is that Trump is not the essential element animating Trumpery. Trumpery being defined (by me) as the rise of nativism, the advent of power concentrated in the hands of the nation's leader, challenging the prior constitutional order, an isolationist bent, targeting minorities as being responsible for a variety of societal ills, and sloganeering as a substitute for nuanced policy.

She recently did a town hall style meeting with Chris Hayes during which he asked her why it is, in her opinion, that some authoritarian figures in history fail to gain support while others succeed. IOW, can success or failure of these figures be predicted. Her answer was the country, any country, has to be previously receptive to the message being projected. That no one can start from ground zero and orchestrate an authoritarian movement unless citizens in the country, some of them at least, are ready for it.

Probably the best example of this being Germany before Hitler (I'm not comparing Trump to Hitler). The seeds for being receptive to fascism were planted by the onerous terms Germany was forced to submit to after WW I.

So what was happening here that allowed for the sublimated acceptance of, if not desire for, autocracy to bubble to the surface? Technological advances bringing about economic instability? The "browning" of the country causing anxiety among certain factions?

Or is Rachel's theory just wrong?
Trump harnessed a sentiment that’s been brewing since the 60s. It doesn’t end when he goes away, but without a focus slip under the radar again, until another opportunist comes along.

We are not Germany circa 1932, and Trump is in no way like Hitler…

Why must you people continually need a boogeyman?
That’s ironic! MAGA types always pointing out some boogeyman or other. This Xmas season it appears to be black, wheelchair Santa!

Trump is in no way like Hitler…
1701005501838.png

Trump harnessed a sentiment that’s been brewing since the 60s. It doesn’t end when he goes away, but without a focus slip under the radar again, until another opportunist comes along.
So you agree with Maddow's theory. Can you identify what has been brewing since the 60's? BTW, thanks for the on topic reply.

The seeds of todays Republicans were planted by Rush Limbaugh in the late 80s
There's no doubt the rise of RWM softened the ground for Trump by stoking the anger he tapped in to. But what is the source of the anger?

Forum List

Back