R.I.P Billy Graham

I'm still waiting for a cite wherein Jesus says Christians should all be living out of dumpsters and begging on the streets. From what I've read, he pretty much calls for Christians to run big social service networks for each other, which of course requires that at least some of them know a thing or two about making money, and managing it well to boot. The requirement to take care of widows and orphans would have been especially expensive all by themselves in his day ans well and many hundreds of years afterward. It's more than stupid to run around claiming he some sort of hippie moron who thought abject poverty was some sort of moral imperative.

As a child growing up in the American apartheid era I remember hearing how Billy Graham refused to preach to segregated audiences in the 1950s South.

By the late 1950s, Graham had developed a reputation for refusing to preach to racially segregated crowds. It was a decision that brought him death threats.

“Christianity is not a white man’s religion, and don’t let anybody tell you that it’s black and white,” Graham preached. “Christ belongs to all people.”

Read more here: ‘America’s Pastor’: Evangelist Billy Graham dead at 99

Ah, more left wing hypocrisy ... If one were to do a search of your posts, would we find some of the usual idiotic sniveling about how 'preachers and churches should stay out of politics n stuff, cuz separation of church and state!!! Wah Wah!' , or not? I know we would for the other mentally ill deviants in here fingering their asses.

Graham was an advocate for civil rights
Graham’s faith led him to take political stances he saw as just, even when they alienated many evangelical contemporaries. Take, for example, his work on civil rights. A close friend of Martin Luther King Jr., whom he bailed out of jail in the early 1960s, Graham vocally opposed segregation and refused to lead his crusade events in segregated spaces.

In one memorable instance in Chattanooga, Tennessee, Graham removed the velvet cordons separating black and white audience members, telling attendees, “Either these ropes stay down or you can go on and have the revival without me.”

Graham held fast to his views throughout the subsequent decades, despite having made a number of political enemies among white evangelicals for this stance. At a time when white evangelical identity and whiteness itself were all but synonymous (an identification that only intensified through the decades), Graham cleaved that lazy political identification. For him, evangelicalism was about the gospel, not the political self-labeling it eventually became.

It’s important to note here that despite Graham’s support for integration, he was not a radical by the standards of the civil rights movement. His measured approach and willingness to engage in dialogue with some racist Southern leaders led some contemporaries to critique his “accommodationist” perspective as compromise.

Evangelical America needs Billy Graham now more than ever

Sorry, but he doesn't fit your fake news post.

As a child growing up in the American apartheid era I remember hearing how Billy Graham refused to preach to segregated audiences in the 1950s South.

By the late 1950s, Graham had developed a reputation for refusing to preach to racially segregated crowds. It was a decision that brought him death threats.

“Christianity is not a white man’s religion, and don’t let anybody tell you that it’s black and white,” Graham preached. “Christ belongs to all people.”

Read more here: ‘America’s Pastor’: Evangelist Billy Graham dead at 99

Ah, more left wing hypocrisy ... If one were to do a search of your posts, would we find some of the usual idiotic sniveling about how 'preachers and churches should stay out of politics n stuff, cuz separation of church and state!!! Wah Wah!' , or not? I know we would for the other mentally ill deviants in here fingering their asses.

Graham was an advocate for civil rights
Graham’s faith led him to take political stances he saw as just, even when they alienated many evangelical contemporaries. Take, for example, his work on civil rights. A close friend of Martin Luther King Jr., whom he bailed out of jail in the early 1960s, Graham vocally opposed segregation and refused to lead his crusade events in segregated spaces.

In one memorable instance in Chattanooga, Tennessee, Graham removed the velvet cordons separating black and white audience members, telling attendees, “Either these ropes stay down or you can go on and have the revival without me.”

Graham held fast to his views throughout the subsequent decades, despite having made a number of political enemies among white evangelicals for this stance. At a time when white evangelical identity and whiteness itself were all but synonymous (an identification that only intensified through the decades), Graham cleaved that lazy political identification. For him, evangelicalism was about the gospel, not the political self-labeling it eventually became.

It’s important to note here that despite Graham’s support for integration, he was not a radical by the standards of the civil rights movement. His measured approach and willingness to engage in dialogue with some racist Southern leaders led some contemporaries to critique his “accommodationist” perspective as compromise.

Evangelical America needs Billy Graham now more than ever

Sorry, but he doesn't fit your fake news post.
Huh??????

Forum List

Back