Quitting

Bonzi

Diamond Member
May 17, 2015
Have you ever quit an addiction?
If so what kind?

If you had to quit several addictions, which was the hardest to quit?

For me, I used to smoke (about 10 years ago). That was the hardest.
2nd hardest was drinking. That was recently - but, right NOW its hard (because I have ZERO desire to smoke), but I want to drink about ever day.

Those are the only 2 addictions I have had.

I'll never quit coffee! Unless Doc tells me it would kill me, and even then, I'm clinging to my last addiction!

(I'm not even covering the psychological/emotional addictions.. the is entirely ANOTHER story!)

Had no problem stopping smoking or drinking

lost the taste for alcohol, and couldn't inhale so it was easy to stop

Once upon a time it was smoking, drinking, drugs & a not so ladylike lifestyle. ;)

Quit all but smoking. Yep it's THE hardest to give up.

Just take it one day at a time, one moment at a time.

Coffee? Coffee is an addiction? I thought it was a necessity of life.....

I quit smoking 27 years ago. I had 5 days of jitters and haven't smoked since.

I like coffee but its real addictive to me. Every few years I'll just stop drinking it and the next day I suffer a MASSIVE migraine that lasts for two or three days. Then a few months or a year later I'll get over confident and start drinking it again.

I quit drinking a bunch of times. There's nothing to it.

Like Mark Twain said about smoking....

upload_2016-1-23_14-2-8.jpeg

I quit smoking 27 years ago. I had 5 days of jitters and haven't smoked since.

I like coffee but its real addictive to me. Every few years I'll just stop drinking it and the next day I suffer a MASSIVE migraine that lasts for two or three days. Then a few months or a year later I'll get over confident and start drinking it again.

I drink several cups in the morning - rarely in the evenings except when I go out to dinner or run out of hot tea!

If so what kind?

2nd hardest was drinking. That was recently - but, right NOW its hard (because I have ZERO desire to smoke), but I want to drink about ever day.

Drinking - It has been a week...

Never smoked except the Herb and gave that up when I moved to Texas.

If so what kind?

ooh! we are quitting together! It's been about a month for me though, maybe longer....

I did drink some Vanilla and Orange extract... but... not the same...

If so what kind?

What was your beverage of choice?

If so what kind?

Jim Beam or Snow Queen Vodka... ( Straight in a double shot glass )

If so what kind?

Jim Beam or Snow Queen Vodka... ( Straight in a double shot glass )

well PM me if it ever gets hard. I'm not here 24/7 (tho I'm sure it seems like it)....

If so what kind?

I quit smoking cigarettes in high school. It was harder to quit than I thought. There was several failed attempts.

I used to do all kinds of illegal drugs but the one I developed a serious problem with was crack cocaine. One hit and I was hooked. I was smoking it every day. I was a crack head for about a year back in the 80s when it first hit the scene in a major way around here. The stuff suddenly just everywhere. It seems like overnight everybody was smoking it or dealing it or both. I was doing both.

Crack wasn't really difficult to quit. The withdrawal symptoms were uncomfortable. Anxiety and intense cravings. But unlike cigarettes, the cravings were gone after a couple of days. When I quit cigarettes I was still having cravings weeks later.

Cigarettes were definately much harder to quit than crack.

I also was addicted to alcohol. I used to dink alot.
By a lot I mean the Budweiser truck would deliver to my house every week. How many people drink so much that the beer that they are on the beer distributors route? I wonder what the neighbors thought.

I developed so much tolerance to alcohol that I was drinking a case of beer a day and wouldn't even catch a buzz. To catch a buzz I had to hit the liquor bottles.

When I decided to quit I tried to just wean myself off of it by drinking less and less each day until I was dry. But that didn't work.

Finally I said enough is enough and just went cold turkey. When I was about 10 years old my mother was studying to be a nurse and I would help her study by giving her quizzes and stuff. I knew her nursing textbooks inside and out. So I have a lot of medical knowledge. I knew that going cold turkey could potentially have some very serious consequences and could even be fatal.

When I went into withdrawl my whole body was shaking, my heart was racing, I was paranoid and I was projectile vomiting. But the worst was the extremely vivid and terrifying hallucinations.

I called 911 and they took to me the ER. I ended up in the hospital for 5 days.

That was about 30 years ago. Today I only drink in moderation and have no desire to get drunk.

In my experience cigarettes were the hardest to quit but alcohol was the worst. The doctor said that if I would have waited much longer to get to the hospital I probably would have died.

Forum List

Back