Questions for Those hitting the Weights

Semper Fi

VIP Member
Nov 25, 2003
Wisconsin
I'm looking to change up my current weight routine. If you don't mind taking the time;

1. What does your (weekly) routine consist of? Like what on what days?
2. Do you do cardio as well? If so, on the same days as weight days?
3. Is there anything special you do, that's uncommon to most people?
4. Is there anything you recommend that I do?

Thanks...I had more questions but they escaped me by the time I actually thought to start the thread. I'm sure they'll come up later. Thanks again.

(1) 3 days a week:

• Back & bicep
  • Chest & tricep
  • Legs

(2) You can run everyday. If you're doing weights and running on the same day, lift first.

(3) I'm so strapped for time that I've been forced to cut corners, but I recommend:

• 20 minutes of ab work before every lift. Eventually you can do this every day.
  • Romans and hypers!
  • On bicep day, do some forearm work at the end.
  • Maintain proper technique - remember that muscle failure = muscle growth. If you're cheating wrt technique, you're only impeding your progress. And since you're going to be aiming for muscle failure, you will need a workout buddy.
  • Neck exercises.
  • Stretching is your friend.

(4) Clean up that diet! No more fast food or soda. Take a multivitamin and omega 3's. Eat lots of vegetables. Sleep well (this is my biggest problem). Alternate cycles - one cycle of low weight/high rep (15-20), and another of high weight/low rep (6 or so) - 6-8 weeks/cycle. Finally, make a flowchart where you can track a given lift vs. reps and weight.

Forum List

Back