Questionable Ethics?

ErikViking

VIP Member
Apr 26, 2006
Stockholm - Sweden
I went to an office to today with a huge que. Thay had one of those tickets machines that gives you a number and lets you wait elsewhere. The system had three different sorts of tickets. It was 26 numbers between the current number and mine. So I waited three number, extrapolated and took a new ticket after six minutes, then I went to eat with the kids. I had to be back in 55 minutes to be on time for the first ticket.

When I came back I still had to wait five minutes. I then had my puny little arrend done in three minutes and then I left. On the way out I gave my ticket to a new arrival, a women with two kids. She must have been very pleased just to have to wait one or two minutes. Have I been nice or have I cheated other waiting people?

Then it hit me, what if I started a little queing-service? Lets say I take a ticket every three minutes and then sell them with increasing price. I would pay $10 to cut an hour of waiting! Who would stop me? On what grounds?

ErikViking said:
Homeless and or unemployed could need the income. A good afternoon could easlily give like $200.
In that case, the answer would be lack of a market. That and as soon as someone figured out that you could pay to cut in front of them, you'd be tossed out of the establishment.

The ClayTaurus said:
In that case, the answer would be lack of a market. That and as soon as someone figured out that you could pay to cut in front of them, you'd be tossed out of the establishment.

You're probably right. But queues bring out the worst in people... maybe this wasn't very realistic at all. :lame2:

ErikViking said:
..... On the way out I gave my ticket to a new arrival, a women with two kids. She must have been very pleased just to have to wait one or two minutes. Have I been nice or have I cheated other waiting people?.....
While I think what you did was a nice gesture, who says someone else's time is any more or any less valuable than mine?

Joz said:
While I think what you did was a nice gesture, who says someone else's time is any more or any less valuable than mine?

Good point. Some built in desire to be liked by someone I meet for five seconds and never going to meet again made me excercise the power of the queue. Not a big issue but maybe small everyday decisions like these tells something. I don't know.

I regret posting this thread!

ErikViking said:
Good point. Some built in desire to be liked by someone I meet for five seconds and never going to meet again made me excercise the power of the queue. Not a big issue but maybe small everyday decisions like these tells something. I don't know.

I regret posting this thread!
Don't regret. Perhaps you gained introspection you wouldn't otherwise have...

ErikViking said:
:) Maybe I have! Else I've just wasted mine and some other peopels time. (Not by much though.)
Don't worry about me. I waste all of my own time before anyone else can.

ErikViking said:
...I regret posting this thread!
There's no reason for that. I would and have done this before. I would just get bent out of shape if something like this was turned into a business.

Is this any different than letting someone in the grocery store that has two items, in front of you?

Mr. P said:
You wouldn't?
Oh no, I have done that many times. I just wonder how the people behind me feel. But on the rare occassion someone has done that for me, I'm VERY appreciative.

Line up to buy concert tickets anywhere and you see nothing but homeless and college kids in line waiting to buy tickets for ticket agencies and scalpers.

I like the idea, but I think you would end up getting kicked out of the place of business.

GotZoom said:
Line up to buy concert tickets anywhere and you see nothing but homeless and college kids in line waiting to buy tickets for ticket agencies and scalpers.

I like the idea, but I think you would end up getting kicked out of the place of business.

Do it once in awhile. Like when ya get bored or feel sorry for yourself

My aunt specialized in something to do with printing. She ended up working for Kings Island.

http://www1.paramountparks.com/kingsisland/index.cfm

When they closed the print shop they gave her a lifetime pass. Along with that she was allowed 8 free passes every day. She was kind enough to share that with the people she knew. Once when I was taking the kids & a couple of friends, I ended up with an extra ticket. I watched for a bit & then gave the ticket to a family. I saved them about $10. Did I cheat K. I.? I don't think so.

Joz said:
My aunt specialized in something to do with printing. She ended up working for Kings Island.

http://www1.paramountparks.com/kingsisland/index.cfm

When they closed the print shop they gave her a lifetime pass. Along with that she was allowed 8 free passes every day. She was kind enough to share that with the people she knew. Once when I was taking the kids & a couple of friends, I ended up with an extra ticket. I watched for a bit & then gave the ticket to a family. I saved them about $10. Did I cheat K. I.? I don't think so.

hear those sirens getting closer??? :cof:

Forum List

Back