Question on baseball history

Quasar44

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Jun 21, 2020
Phoenix, AZ
What decades are considered the best in baseball history???

What are the best teams of all time???

Thx

1927 Yankees featured Murderers Row of great hitters, including Ruth and Gehrig. Historically considered one of the best teams ever.

I'm too lazy to look up the exact year right now, but the Milwaukee Braves team with Warren Spahn and Johnny Sain was very good. There was the famous saying "Spahn and Sain, and pray for rain" (so that there would be a day off or two, and they could pitch again).

The Big Red Machine Cincinnati Reds in 1975 was loaded, with Pete Rose, Joe Morgan, Johnny Bench, George Foster and his 50 homers, Tony Perez, Dave Concepción, Ken Griffey.

1939 Yankees with Joe DiMaggio.
1998 Yankees with Jeter, Bernie Williams, Jorge Posada and Paul O'Neil.
1929 Philadelphia Athletics, with Al Simmons and Jimmy Foxx, and Mickey Cochrane.
1961 Yankees with Mantle and Maris, and Whitey Ford.
1970 Baltimore Orioles, with their awesome starting pitching.
1984 Detroit Tigers, who I think started the season with 27 straight wins.

Last edited:
1960s has to be on the list.
  1. Decade Overview
    While not playing an entire decade generally hurt players in this exercise, there is simply no denying just how dominant Sandy Koufax was, if even for a short time. His performance from 1963-1966 is the greatest stretch for a pitcher ever, as he went 97-27 with a 1.86 ERA (172 ERA+) over that span.
    Good as that was, it still didn't knock Hammerin' Hank Aaron out of the top spot in a decade that saw the primes of four 500-homer run hitters in Aaron, Frank Robinson, Willie Mays and Harmon Killebrew.
    Dominant as Koufax was, Bob Gibson's 1968 season goes down as perhaps the greatest of all time, as he went 22-9 with a 1.12 ERA, prompting the mounds to be lowered. Juan Marichal and Don Drysdale were phenomenal in their own right, though no doubt overshadowed a bit by Koufax and Gibson.
    This was the decade where it really got harder to narrow the list to just 10 guys, as Carl Yastrzemski, Willie McCovey, Al Kaline, Billy Williams, Ron Santo, Norm Cash and Jim Bunning were all worthy candidates

I'd say the 1950s and 1960s were the best decades.. All the greats including Mickey Mantle, Hank Aaron, Willie Mays, Nolan Ryan, Reggie Jackson, Carl Yastrzemski .. etc ..

In the 50s, the Yankees won almost every year.
Great if you were a Yankee fan, not for anyone else

Also, you had the Dodgers, Giants, Braves, Browns, A’s abandon their fans and move elsewhere

The 1939 Yankees had a run differential of +411 runs! 😳

That's even better than the 1927 Yankees, who scored +376 more runs than the teams they played.

I leave dead ball teams out of consideration. That was a different world. Would the 1904 NY Giants pitcher Joe McGinnity (35-8, 1.61 ERA) be able to compete at that level even 20 years later? Doubtful.

What decades are considered the best in baseball history???

What are the best teams of all time???

Thx
1970's and the Big Red Machine

They are the only ones to sweep the Yankees in the World Series.

It was like men against boys. Game 4 in New York of the World Series, it was another blow out as fans threw garbage on the field in protest like the petulant spoiled children that they are and always have been. Best game eva!!!! When I'm feeling low, I'll just go over the YouTube and watch the hilarious spectacle.

Don't get me wrong, the Yankees had a good team as they won it all the next year, but that year, no team came close to the Redlegs.

Last edited:
I leave dead ball teams out of consideration. That was a different world. Would the 1904 NY Giants pitcher Joe McGinnity (35-8, 1.61 ERA) be able to compete at that level even 20 years later? Doubtful.
yea dead ball was a different thing.....i read about the history of the baseball....those guys used the same baseball until the cover came off then they got a new one....that beat up baseball favored the pitcher over the batters....hence 30 game winners....

Forum List

Back