Question: If someone leaves the Christian church & becomes an atheist, is he or she still a Chr...?

Just about every atheist began as some sort of theist. Kinda hard to have a disbelief in something if you have no earthly idea what the something is that you don't believe in it.

Yeah...my focus was just on did he become a disbeliever in Jesus.

"Turned to iniquity" is what Acts says. Jesus teaches against iniquity; ergo, pretty simple to me that he became a disbeliever.

I don't see how Judas could seriously not believe in Jesus as The Messiah unless he'd witnessed something that convinced him otherwise. As a close follower of Jesus he must have been witness to a number of miracles, and just one would be enough to convince most people. If you knew for a fact that Jesus really did have incredible supernatural powers, who in their right mind would risk eternal damnation by betraying him for some cash? Ridiculous.

The only way the story even begins to make sense is if you take the Gospel of Judas to be part of the story, according to which Jesus commanded Judas to hand him over to the priests of the Sanhedrin. Which doesn't make a lot of sense either, but it makes more sense than the first story.

Actually the 4 Gospels say that "Satan" entered Judas right before his betraying Jesus. I don't remember which Gospel says that...I think maybe, Mark?... :)

-

I heard someone say once a member of a religion always a member of that religion but if someone leaves the Christian church and becomes an atheist, is that person still a Christian? Or if a Christian converts to Islam is that person still a Christian?...:)
-

I would think that if they changed their beliefs, the would be classified by that belief, regardless of what they wanted to identify themselves as.

Even these perverts who get their peckers turned inside out and wear dresses. They're still not women. They're just queers.

:lol: ...the word "apostate" is definitely not an imaginary word... :lol:

-

Once a Catholic, always a Catholic. Not sure that's true, but if you have a lot of early training in some religion, it stays with you, even after you leave it.

Just about every atheist began as some sort of theist. Kinda hard to have a disbelief in something if you have no earthly idea what the something is that you don't believe in it.

Actually, false...a person can study a religion scientifically having no set position (neither belief nor disbelief) toward it and determine that they don't believe in it. :lol:

-

Actually, false...a person can study a religion scientifically having no set position (neither belief nor disbelief) toward it and determine that they don't believe in it. :lol:

-
How do you study a religion "scientifically"?

Once a Catholic, always a Catholic. Not sure that's true, but if you have a lot of early training in some religion, it stays with you, even after you leave it.

Martin Luther was a Catholic, was he not...was he "always a Catholic?" :lol:

Apostates (and heretics) are real...it happens.

-

-

How do you study anything scientifically?

-

-

-
A belief isn't scientific. Are you saying you study believers? How so?

-

-
A belief isn't scientific. Are you saying you study believers? How so?

Religion & Philosophy courses are taught at all universities and colleges sir/ma'am...one doesn't need to be a member of any religion to take a religion course :lol: .

I am an Agnostic who is not studying anyone or anything at the moment but I am looking to study some Judaic religion (religion based in Judaism) when I get a good opportunity.

-

Belief isn't necessary to religion. Acceptance of some of the tenets of that religion is necessary. Buddhism, for example, is non-theistic. At the same time, it discusses the "truth of suffering and impermanence."

Surely, suffering and impermanence are natural facts of existence.

Belief isn't necessary to religion. Acceptance of some of the tenets of that religion is necessary. Buddhism, for example, is non-theistic. At the same time, it discusses the "truth of suffering and impermanence."

Well someone can leave Buddhist beliefs like they leave any other belief. Martin Luther is an example of an apostate. And the Buddha was regarded as an apostate from Hinduism, if I am not mistaken...so, apostasy is real :lol: .

-

Well someone can leave Buddhist beliefs like they leave any other belief. Martin Luther is an example of an apostate.

-
You can call impermanence a "Buddhist belief" if you'd like to. It's just a fact of nature. If you're born, you die. Everything in the universe is in a state of decaying and being reborn.

Well someone can leave Buddhist beliefs like they leave any other belief. Martin Luther is an example of an apostate.

-
You can call impermanence a "Buddhist belief" if you'd like to. It's just a fact of nature. If you're born, you die. Everything in the universe is in a state of decaying and being reborn.

I edited my last post to you but I respect your right to believe that.

-

-

-
You can test it scientifically through observation. All beings die. Plants die. Planets die and come into existence. It's a universal phenomenon. Show me anything in nature you think is ever lasting.

Good luck.

-

-
You can test it scientifically through observation. All beings die. Plants die. Planets die and come into existence. It's a universal phenomenon. Show me anything in nature you think is ever lasting.

Good luck.

Well the Bible says that men use to live for nearly 1,000 years whereas today an average lifespan is 75 years...hypothetically if man could live for 1,000 years, there could be a "God" who lives eternally...but that is just belief like you (you specifically I mean and not the word "you" to mean people generally) couldn't prove that there isn't a God who lives eternally but you are just going from your knowledge and belief.

But like I said, the Buddha apostatized from Hinduism, is that correct?... :)

-

-

-

Good luck.

Well the Bible says that men use to live for nearly 1,000 years whereas today an average lifespan is 75 years...hypothetically if man could live for 1,000 years, there could be a "God" who lives eternally...but that is just belief like you (you specifically I mean and not the word "you" to mean people generally) couldn't prove that there isn't a God who lives eternally but you are just going from your knowledge and belief.

But like I said, the Buddha apostatized from Hinduism didn't he? :)

-
There is no evidence in nature for "eternal" existence. Feel free to point to ANYTHING in the universe that is ever lasting.

-

-

Good luck.

-
There is no evidence in nature for "eternal" existence. Feel free to point to ANYTHING in the universe that is ever lasting.

A God could hide him or her self if he or she wanted to.

So you just believe but can not prove that nothing in existence lives for ever, like someone can believe but be unable to prove that there is a God who lives forever.

But I'm an Agnostic...if I were involved in a religion it would more than likely involve an entity that is to be worshiped (a God or a Deity.) But you sound like you are a Buddhist. Did the Buddha apostatize from Hinduism can I ask? I think that I read that he did but I have memory problems. :-D

-

-

Good luck.

-

A God could hide him or her self if he or she wanted to.

So you just believe but can not prove that nothing in existence lives for ever, like someone can believe but be unable to prove that there is a God who lives forever.

But I'm an Agnostic...if I were involved in a religion it would more than likely involve an entity that is to be worshiped (a God or a Deity.) But you sound like you are a Buddhist. Did the Buddha apostatize from Hinduism? :)

-
A God could hide? That sounds like a belief, not observation or fact. Everything in this universe is impermanent.

Forum List

Back