Question For Stringed Instrument Players

protectionist

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2013
While some USMB posters may be knowledgabe about music and musical instruments, this thread is strictly for those who actually PLAY an instrument, and have owned and played a particular stringed instrument for 5 years or more.

This would include the guitar, violin, mandolin, viola, mandola, cello, upright string bass, banjo. I'm especially inrested in those instruments that are made out of wood, and use that as their sounding board.

The question is >> Do you think that your instrument has improved in tonal quality over the time you have been playing it ? And if so, how much has it improves. And if this is th ecase, how much do you think its $ value has increased ?

My experience is that ove rthe 5 years that I have had my instruments (violin, mandolin, guitar), they have improved immensely. They ar more responsive, have deeper more powerful bass notes, and the middle and higher pitch notes are richer. They also seem much easier to play, and no longer have the stiffness they had when they were new.

Just for kicks, I picked up a mandolin, in a music store that was priced at $579 (close to the $600 mine is rated at). It was incediby stiff, and reminded me of a brand new pair of shoes.

Reading up on this a while back, I recall the author said that wooden musical instruments increase in tone immensely (and therefore value too), over their first 5 years, if they're played a lot. During the 2nd 5 years, they also increase (tone and value), almost as much. After that they continue to increase in tone just slightly, each year(with consistent playing).

As a result, after centuries, the instrument would have spectacular tone and value. It is notable that the greatest increases occur in te first 5 years, possibly 2-3 times as much as when new, contrary to common belief that only very old instruments get better after their long, aging process.

People who think instrumens decrease in value after the first few years, are usually those havent actually played those instruments, to see, feel, and hear the difference, for themselves. They are outsiders.

What has been YOUR experience with your instrument(s) ?

Could it be that you are just more used to playing your particular instrument, and you judge the tone of others by what you have grown to expect hearing? Nothing wrong with that. I suspect most people do to some extent.

Big difference. Instruments made out of wood do sound better with age. I played guitar for 30 years but couldn't even begin to get into the physics of why they do that. I know that guitar pickups also develop a better sound through the years. That has something to do with the copper wire in the coil windings becoming brittle with age. More physics that I don't understand.

Big difference. Instruments made out of wood do sound better with age. I played guitar for 30 years but couldn't even begin to get into the physics of why they do that. I know that guitar pickups also develop a better sound through the years. That has something to do with the copper wire in the coil windings becoming brittle with age. More physics that I don't understand.
With wooden instruments, I think it has to do with the grains of the wood slowly reacting to the vibrations of the strings, and over time creating a grain that produces more powerful and sweeter tone.

There's probably some research out there on this. I'll look into it.

It depends how the instrument is made. A solid top acoustic guitar will sound better as time goes on. If your guitar doesn't have a solid top it won't sound any better than it does now.

My 20 year old Ovation acoustic plays and sound better than it did new. It's smoother working.

It depends how the instrument is made. A solid top acoustic guitar will sound better as time goes on. If your guitar doesn't have a solid top it won't sound any better than it does now.
I assumed we all know I'm talking about all-solid instruments. Sorry if any confusion

Forum List

Back