Question For Blacks Who Have European Names

Mr. Ofo Oao

Sep 19, 2014
Peace,

I use to have a European name but I went through the courts and had it changed...may I ask you, bro./sis., what if anything does having a European name mean to you?

Thanks for all answers. :)

The facts are that I have some white blood in me. I thought about changing my last name and I still may since I don't feel that the small white part of me deserves such a prominent position in my life. My first name was given to me by my mother so that will always remain my first name. I think its a good idea for some but its an individual choice. My rationale was to connect with my roots and publicly acknowledge my heritage to the world. The connection I have with my last name is one of family pride and history. The only time I think of the Europeans aspect is when I run into a white person with the same last name.

Would say if you jump through the hoops required to legally change your name it shows how petty and petulant you are that you cared that much about what other people call you.

Would say if you jump through the hoops required to legally change your name it shows how petty and petulant you are that you cared that much about what other people call you.

Actually, ASSumer, when I changed it it was for religious reasons...shows how much you like to make a *SS of yourself by ASSuming that you know everything, jack-*ss.

The facts are that I have some white blood in me. I thought about changing my last name and I still may since I don't feel that the small white part of me deserves such a prominent position in my life. My first name was given to me by my mother so that will always remain my first name. I think its a good idea for some but its an individual choice. My rationale was to connect with my roots and publicly acknowledge my heritage to the world. The connection I have with my last name is one of family pride and history. The only time I think of the Europeans aspect is when I run into a white person with the same last name.

Well, when they brought us over here, they gave us their names as their property. Does their name represent to you in any way that you are still their property?

Well, when they brought us over here, they gave us their names as their property. Does their name represent to you in any way that you are still their property?

Only in a minute symbolic way. Mentally I am strong enough to know this is not the truth.

My wife and I both have adopted last names. So what?

Your name is a way of identifying your culture...if I tell you I met Lu Chin today, you will think that I met an Asian person. But if I tell you I met John Williams today, you wont know what race the person I met is.

The American so-called Negroes should wear names from their own culture and not from Caucasians' culture; they are not Caucasians.

My wife and I both have adopted last names. So what?

Your name is a way of identifying your culture...if I tell you I met Lu Chin today, you will think that I met an Asian person. But if I tell you I met John Williams today, you wont know what race the person I met is.

The American so-called Negroes should wear names from their own culture and not from Caucasians' culture; they are not Caucasians.

But doesn't that reinforce ethnic stereotyping? Should being of African heritage be the first thing you are known as? Should Evangelical Christians preface every remark with "Praise Jesus?" Should Jews wear the Star of David? Change your name, cover yourself with tattoos, or wear a burka if you want to, but don't expect others not to notice.

But doesn't that reinforce ethnic stereotyping? Should being of African heritage be the first thing you are known as? Should Evangelical Christians preface every remark with "Praise Jesus?" Should Jews wear the Star of David? Change your name, cover yourself with tattoos, or wear a burka if you want to, but don't expect others not to notice.

Well if that is so good, why aren't any Caucasians wearing African names?...how would Caucasians feel walking around with African names?

Forum List

Back