Question: Could the recent rise in seismic activity be related to offshore drilling?

Discussion in 'Energy' started by Vast LWC, Mar 14, 2011.

1. Vast LWC

Vast LWC <-Mohammed

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +871
    I'm honestly curious about this, and have not found anything online that disputes the possibility or confirms it.

Is it possible that the recent expansions of offshore drilling and natural gas drilling might be exacerbating extreme seismic activity such as the Haiti quake and the Japan quake?

Note that I am not trying to make a statement with this, I'm just asking.

2. Mr. H.

Mr. H. Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +15,391
    I've wondered about this too, but not just offshore drilling but all such activity.

Think about it- we take mega volumes of liquids and gasses from underground, then convert it and burn it releasing energy and particulates above ground. Taking lots of pressure from underground then applying lots of pressure above ground.

3. martybegan

martybegan Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,915
    The difference in scale between the forces of tectonic movement and the changes we do to rock strata by oil/gas removal is like comparing an ant to an ocean liner.

Doing things such as building dams, removing oil, or mining can cause localized affects, that could create localized earthquakes. The Japan earthquake however had a defined cause, the movement of the plates in the area. This would occur with our without a single person on the planet.

Also the results of industrialization may have increased the relative values of certain gasses in the atmosphere, but there has been no appricable change in the pressure of our atmosphere. again it is scale. The amount of things we have burned is dwarfed by the carrying capacity of the atmosphere, as well as the solubility of the gasses in the oceans.

4. Vast LWC

Vast LWC <-Mohammed

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +871
    Sure, but, well, here's reason I asked:

The pressure created by the plates is vast, but I'm thinking the plate itself isn't all one solid piece. There are areas where parts of the plate move faster than others.

Now, I'm not asking whether drilling is causing the movement of the plates.

My question is: Would removing a large amount of mass that's creating pressure against a portion of the plate, and thus slowing it's movement, hasten said movement?

5. skeptic

skeptic BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +23
    I am honestly curious if the recent increase in seismic activity is related to HAARP or other wave energy research. High Frequency Active Auroral Research Program - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Tesla reportedly tested an aerial energy transmission system that caused large waves on the opposite side of the earth. Then Tesla may have begun using the earth's crust itself as a medium to propogate energy.

Here is an introduction: Tesla and HAARP

6. skeptic

skeptic BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +23
    The volumes we remove are fairly small compared to the mass of the plates. And the material we remove has little to do with the pressure on the plates. Locally there is definitely a link between things like mining and drilling and local seismic activity. There is a geothermal project cancelled in Germany because it triggered a small quake. And in much the way you describe.

But the large quakes are far too large to be triggered by the minor effects of manmade explosives and mining. In fact the large quakes are triggered by previous quakes. The whole earth vibrates continually due to constant seismic activity. The crust is continually adjusting and moving.

7. kwc57

kwc57 BOHICA Obama

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,788
    It's the damn Mayans!

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  8. Vast LWC

Vast LWC <-Mohammed

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +871
    Word. You learn something new every day.

9. kwc57

kwc57 BOHICA Obama

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,788
    I live to serve others.

10. The Infidel

The Infidel EVIL CONSERVATIVE

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,173
    :lmao:

That didnt take too long..... :clap2:

Now if we can just get the messiah Obama to convince the world there needs to be a moratorium on dilling everywhere!